• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

489 to 887 full time work requirement

susana

Timeline missing
Hello, I hold a 489, just recently landed in AU. My intention is to convert my visa to a 887 permanent one after 2 years. I know I need to live in the designated area for at least 2 years and work full time at least 12 months. In my line of work (ESOL teaching) it is rare to have find full time positions. I was told that the minimum of 35 hours a week requirement can be made up from part time jobs. I have started an ABN and am able to bill clients individually, which can add up to the required 35 hours a week. However, I am not sure if I will be to prove (as a self-employed person) that I met the requirement when it comes to assessment. What is the usual practice in regards to this? Self-employed people are not able to provide third party evidence in this case. Should I continue as self-employed or seek employment in another field to meet the requirements for sure? (I would prefer to work in my field, but would not like to miss the opportunity to obtain 887).
My second question is how is the 12 months period calculated? Adding up months or weeks? I may need to leave for a while and interrupt my employment period.
Thank you.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi
I am in a same boat,
Did you get any clarifications on this issue.
Thanks
Henry

Hello, I hold a 489, just recently landed in AU. My intention is to convert my visa to a 887 permanent one after 2 years. I know I need to live in the designated area for at least 2 years and work full time at least 12 months. In my line of work (ESOL teaching) it is rare to have find full time positions. I was told that the minimum of 35 hours a week requirement can be made up from part time jobs. I have started an ABN and am able to bill clients individually, which can add up to the required 35 hours a week. However, I am not sure if I will be to prove (as a self-employed person) that I met the requirement when it comes to assessment. What is the usual practice in regards to this? Self-employed people are not able to provide third party evidence in this case. Should I continue as self-employed or seek employment in another field to meet the requirements for sure? (I would prefer to work in my field, but would not like to miss the opportunity to obtain 887).
My second question is how is the 12 months period calculated? Adding up months or weeks? I may need to leave for a while and interrupt my employment period.
Thank you.

Sanjiv Sen

Timeline missing
Thank you.
Hey I am also working on ABN .Can u let me know what are the additional evidence required while working on ABN

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.