About updating documents after lodging a subclass 189 application

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hello all,

I have received the invitation and it will expire on 8 Mar 2016. But I don't have a skill assessment I need yet (I need 8-year exp to meet the minimum point). For now I only have a 6-year exp assessment which I received 2 years ago.
If I apply for the assessment from ACS now, It will roughly take 12 weeks to process...
Will they allow me to update the skill assessment document after lodging the visa application?

Cheers.

Timeline missing
Jon,

I am pretty sure your EOI is frozen, right? Because you received an invite... so you might have a problem, sorry to say. If I were you, I would not pay any visa fees because you have a reasonable chance to have a visa refused by the CO allocated. Let me explain why:
When you submitted your EOI, you claimed for certain points and the DIBP assumed you had the english test and a valid skills assessment, I mean, the one you are supposed to use during the visa lodgement process.

My advice is to let this EOI expires and then update it with the valid (and most current) skills assessment in place.

@MysticRiver Does it make sense?

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
What Marcos said is correct, I also want to add that, if I understand what you are saying, it is a clear cut No Go, no ifs and buts, sorry to say. There are two reasons:

1) All your points had to be valid at the day of invitation. From your post I assume you were short of 8 years experience on that day? In that case, no matter what, your claimed point in EOI (if that includes points for 8 years experience) is not valid.

2) I believe you had to put some reference number of your assessment in your EOI, right? Now that your EOI is frozen, like Marcos mentioned, you have no way to update that reference number (if you attain a new assessment, you will have a new reference number if I am not wrong).

Above two points are by book, also assessment is a prerequisite for EOI submission (not a post requirements). So even if you can do something about above two (I don't see any way though), you are likely to be rejected for this reason.

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Jon,

I am pretty sure your EOI is frozen, right? Because you received an invite... so you might have a problem, sorry to say. If I were you, I would not pay any visa fees because you have a reasonable chance to have a visa refused by the CO allocated. Let me explain why:
When you submitted your EOI, you claimed for certain points and the DIBP assumed you had the english test and a valid skills assessment, I mean, the one you are supposed to use during the visa lodgement process.

My advice is to let this EOI expires and then update it with the valid (and most current) skills assessment in place.

@MysticRiver Does it make sense?

I hope this helps.

Hi Macros,

My description was a little vague. Sorry.

My EOI has passed and I have received the invitation earlier this month. I do have 8 years of working exp at this moment and I did claim so in EOI. But the document I attached to EOI was an old assessment result which I got from ACS 2 years ago (6 year exp) and for some family reasons I gave up the idea of migration at that time.

I think ACS will probably approve my exp to be 8 years if I apply for assessment now. I read from other posts that the proccess time varies from 3 weeks to 12 weeks. I am thinking if I should take the chance to apply for an assessmet now... The result may comes out before the invitation expires in 9th March...

Thanks for your opinion.

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
What Marcos said is correct, I also want to add that, if I understand what you are saying, it is a clear cut No Go, no ifs and buts, sorry to say. There are two reasons:

1) All your points had to be valid at the day of invitation. From your post I assume you were short of 8 years experience on that day? In that case, no matter what, your claimed point in EOI (if that includes points for 8 years experience) is not valid.

2) I believe you had to put some reference number of your assessment in your EOI, right? Now that your EOI is frozen, like Marcos mentioned, you have no way to update that reference number (if you attain a new assessment, you will have a new reference number if I am not wrong).

Above two points are by book, also assessment is a prerequisite for EOI submission (not a post requirements). So even if you can do something about above two (I don't see any way though), you are likely to be rejected for this reason.

Hi MysticRiver,

1) My working experience is valid at the day I received the invitation but it is not assessed by ACS yet. What I claimed in the EOI about my employment periods and job functions were all correct.

2) I did put the reference of my old assessment. My EOI is not frozen. I received the invitation earlier this month.

Thanks.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jon,

If your old assessment is valid at the time of invitation, and you did have 8 years experience, i don't think you have an issue experience wise. Let say ACS assessed your experience from 2008 to 2014 as claimable. And you still are continuing in the same profession. So you should logically claim points for 2015 as well because points are calculated at the day of invitation, not at the day you were assessed (I for sure know such case with Engineers Australia, should be similar with ACS as well. Still you better send an email to SkillSelect for clarification)

Regarding new assessment, I am not sure how come it is possible that your EOI is not frozen. It should always be the case as soon as you receive invitation (you can understand the reason that otherwise people would always submit EOI at the same time they apply for assessment).

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
But in case you have your ACS assessment expired (I forgot whether they have 2 years or 3 years validity) at the time of invitation, you do require a new assessment. And like I said it is very strange that your EOI is not locked.

Also I am little skeptic about the case that even for some reason you can change your EOI now, still theoretically they can refuse to accept your new assessment as it is reqyired to have a valid assessment at the time you get invitation.

Rest is your decision and good luck with whatever you decide :).

Cheers

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
But in case you have your ACS assessment expired (I forgot whether they have 2 years or 3 years validity) at the time of invitation, you do require a new assessment. And like I said it is very strange that your EOI is not locked.

Also I am little skeptic about the case that even for some reason you can change your EOI now, still theoretically they can refuse to accept your new assessment as it is reqyired to have a valid assessment at the time you get invitation.

Rest is your decision and good luck with whatever you decide :).

Cheers
Hi MysticRiver,

For my old assessment, the submission date was 22 Nov 2012, approved date was 20 Dec 2012. Valid period is 2 years, so I was expired in Dec 2014... (I just realized this point...)
Now I have received an invitation, created a new application online and is filling in information... The only thing I am missing is the assessment document. I am thinking if I should apply for the assessment now and see if I can get the result before the invitation expires in 9 Mar 2016. In this case, is my application valid?
Or maybe the invitation expires before the result comes out, is it possible to lodge the application just before the invitation expires and re-upload the assessment result for the application?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jon,

As par my understanding, you must have your assessment ready by the time you get invitation (for that reason they lock EOI to prevent any further change once invitation is sent). Now if you get another assessment, to my understanding that should be new assessment and hence logically should not be admissible with your old invitation.

As you have an old assessment, you can request if you can extend the validity (I have no idea how and whether it should work). But I am not confident of the validity of submitting assessment that's earned after invitation.

Best thing would be to directly contact ACS+SkillSelect. You may find lots of contradictory opinion here, but I doubt if anybody can guarantee that it'd work.

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi MysticRiver,

I see your point. But in the online application form of the Immigration Department, applicants can manually fill in the assessment info (including Date of skills assessment and reference number). So, I think using a new assessment could be possible...

I doubt the support of ACS. Last time I made several inquiries but never got replies...
Thanks.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
But in the online application form of the Immigration Department, applicants can manually fill in the assessment info (including Date of skills assessment and reference number). So, I think using a new assessment could be possible...
When we said EOI is locked, we meant your EOI, not application form. I guess you are confusing between these two, that's why you are saying your EOI is still unlocked.

EOI is the one you filled up long time ago to claim your points, based on which they sent you the invitation.
Online application form is the one you have to fill up and submit within 60 days of invitation.

So, if you submit your application with new assessment documents, that'll contradict the record with your EOI, right? That's, what we are trying to say, can cause you a major issue. You can try to change anything in your EOI (again, not the online visa application form), I am pretty much sure you will see your EOI is locked.

Hi MysticRiver,

I see your point. But in the online application form of the Immigration Department, applicants can manually fill in the assessment info (including Date of skills assessment and reference number). So, I think using a new assessment could be possible...

I doubt the support of ACS. Last time I made several inquiries but never got replies...
Thanks.
You can try sending message to SkillSelect team using their online contact form. Normally ACS does reply within short time, not sure if the trend has changed recently :)

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I am reading the FAQ and guidelines of ACS again. About the employment reference, it said "The country in which the employment was performed must be stated in the reference". I remember the old sample did not include this piece of info, I wonder if this is a new requirement... Anyone know?

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
When we said EOI is locked, we meant your EOI, not application form. I guess you are confusing between these two, that's why you are saying your EOI is still unlocked.

EOI is the one you filled up long time ago to claim your points, based on which they sent you the invitation.
Online application form is the one you have to fill up and submit within 60 days of invitation.

So, if you submit your application with new assessment documents, that'll contradict the record with your EOI, right? That's, what we are trying to say, can cause you a major issue. You can try to change anything in your EOI (again, not the online visa application form), I am pretty much sure you will see your EOI is locked.

You can try sending message to SkillSelect team using their online contact form. Normally ACS does reply within short time, not sure if the trend has changed recently :)
How to tell if an EOI is locked?
Currently the status of my EOI is "INVITED".

Jon

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Sorry I am still confused concerning the validity...

1. For the validity of IELTS result, skills assessment and age, at which moment of time should be referring to? In the day of submitting EOI, or receiving EOI invitation, or submitting visa application?

2. At the moment of visa submission, what if the skills assessment is valid but part of the employment period is outside past 10 years?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I am reading the FAQ and guidelines of ACS again. About the employment reference, it said "The country in which the employment was performed must be stated in the reference". I remember the old sample did not include this piece of info, I wonder if this is a new requirement... Anyone know?

They might. They had some changes in past years.

How to tell if an EOI is locked?
Currently the status of my EOI is "INVITED".

If you can't edit it, then it is locked.

Sorry I am still confused concerning the validity...

1. For the validity of IELTS result, skills assessment and age, at which moment of time should be referring to? In the day of submitting EOI, or receiving EOI invitation, or submitting visa application?

The moment you received EOI invitation.

2. At the moment of visa submission, what if the skills assessment is valid but part of the employment period is outside past 10 years?
The point of visa application submission has nothing to do with your point calculation. Everything will be calculated from the day you received invitation. So, if you received invitation on 8 Jan 2016, and submit visa application on 28 Feb 2016, all calculation and checking will be based on 8 Jan 2016.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.