ACS ACS Assessment and non-ICT degree

Tim

MSA
2018-04-20
SC
Hello everybody!
I have some troubles to understand if my non-ICT degree is eligible to claim points for 189 visa.
I've just been positively assessed in ACS, they deducted 6 years, so I can assume that they recognise my non-ICT diploma (it's 5 years in public relations), but they don't mention it in the result letter. Firstly, may I really just mention this diploma in EOI and get points?
Second trouble - I misunderstood the guidelines of ACS and thought that they'd deduct only 2 years of my experience, thereby I didn't submit my second diploma which is ICT related, but I really doubted and still doubt that it can be assessed even as ICT-minor. The problem is that it's french diploma and in France the educational system is quite weird , I have so-called Bachelor Professional completed in 1 year, but all courses closely related to my current ICT-occupation . Now, to enter to this Bachelor Professional one has to have minimum of 2 years of university studies, and they individually consider if one can enter the study of this Bachelor Professional. So, to get access to Bachelor Professional I have done 2 years in , well very slightly related area "Audio and multimedia in communication area".
Total:
1. non-ICT 5 years public relations (already seen in ACS)
2. ICT diploma Bachelor 1 year (all ICT courses, requires 2 years in university)
3. non-ICT Bachelor 2 years (I think it's useless for these purposes)

Of course, ACS doesn't know all these details, but I have been permitted to send one more diploma to the same assessment. How do you think, will my diploma ICT 1 year can be assessed at least ICT-minor?

And second - Which experience is counted for points - in letter ACS or at the moment when I apply for EOI? For example, I get assessed 1 April with 2,5 years of experience after deduction and to get any points for experience I lodge my EOI 6 months later - will it work that way? Or I have to have 3 years after deduction at the moment when ACS letter is issued to claim points?

I attach my 1 year diploma.

Attachments

• 105331.PDF
    615.2 KB · Views: 523
  • 105407.PDF
    612.4 KB · Views: 464
Last edited:

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I've just been positively assessed in ACS, they deducted 6 years, so I can assume that they recognise my non-ICT diploma (it's 5 years in public relations), but they don't mention it in the result letter. Firstly, may I really just mention this diploma in EOI and get points?
ACS does not comment on non-ICT diploma. There has been precedence of claiming points in such cases, but there is nothing official about it. The eligibility to claim points for education demands that your qualification has to meet Australian standard. There is no criterion that it has to be relevant to your nominated skill.

So, as long as you can prove your non-ICT degree meets Australian standard, you can claim points for that. The only catch is, as the education is not assessed, CO can reject your claim saying your diploma does not meet the Australian standard. Never heard of such though.

Some advice to get your degree assessed by VETASSESS in such cases, but never seen a case for that.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Of course, ACS doesn't know all these details, but I have been permitted to send one more diploma to the same assessment. How do you think, will my diploma ICT 1 year can be assessed at least ICT-minor?
It's very hard to comment on this.

Which experience is counted for points - in letter ACS or at the moment when I apply for EOI? For example, I get assessed 1 April with 2,5 years of experience after deduction and to get any points for experience I lodge my EOI 6 months later - will it work that way?
If you continue in the same job, you can claim post-assessment experiences under normal circumstances.

Tim

MSA
2018-04-20
SC
Thank you for answer. So you think that chances to get my ICT diploma assessed at least as Minor are 50-50 ? Anyway, if they don't assess my ICT diploma even as Minor, it's advisable to get VETASSESS or just notice my diploma in EOI ? But how can I prove that it meets Australian standards? I thought that the fact that ACS regarded this diploma as non-ICT diploma means that they recognize it as suitable under Australian standards, but having insufficient ICT-content (that what htey wrote to me other day). I just hope that they'll assess it as ICT , even Minor - it could relief me from that particular problem.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I thought that the fact that ACS regarded this diploma as non-ICT diploma means that they recognize it as suitable under Australian standards, but having insufficient ICT-content (that what htey wrote to me other day).
This is a good point, because otherwise, they would deduct 8 years for no tertiary education.

Tim

MSA
2018-04-20
SC
Exactly. Well, I think I shall proceed with my doubtful ICT diploma, it'll cost me some money to certify it and translate, but this is a chance to get 5 points for experience in several months.
Thanks for cooperation :) I'll post the upshot of that later.

Tim

MSA
2018-04-20
SC
I've just got awfully awesome news for my assessment, ACS recognized my french diploma as ICT Major! Damned good! So, guys, if you have Licence Professionnelle in IT that you'd got in France, I have an experience of having been assessed with this rather odd diploma regarding common educational practices. So I'm extremely happy for not having given up of sending either diploma I have, event though I paid not small amount of money to get them translated, certified and writing 2 affidavits for that. :)

umar

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I've just got awfully awesome news for my assessment, ACS recognized my french diploma as ICT Major! Damned good! So, guys, if you have Licence Professionnelle in IT that you'd got in France, I have an experience of having been assessed with this rather odd diploma regarding common educational practices. So I'm extremely happy for not having given up of sending either diploma I have, event though I paid not small amount of money to get them translated, certified and writing 2 affidavits for that. :)
Congratulation for assessed positively.
Can you guide me how can I assessed my spouse ACS, She done BA and MA in English in 2007 and 2010 respectively. She is doing job from last 10 years in school (IT Department).
so what should i do here?
How much experience they will count for Non ICT degree? and should I mention MA degree while submitting docs.
Look forward to hear from you. Thanking in anticipation.
Regards

SJR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-05-09
Skill
SC
189 /190
Point
65 / 70
EOI
2018-06-21
Can you guide me how can I assessed my spouse ACS, She done BA and MA in English in 2007 and 2010 respectively. She is doing job from last 10 years in school (IT Department).
How much experience they will count for Non ICT degree? and should I mention MA degree while submitting docs.
Regards
I suggest she reads the ACS Skills Assessment Guidelines for Applicants and also this thread to understand the process for ACS skill assessments: ACS assessment suitability criteria - Year deduction from experience
For insufficient ICT content degree, 6 years of relevant, evidenced working experience will be deducted. Her work experience needs to be evidenced according to ACS requirements and be relevant to her nominated ANZSCO code
I would submit all relevant evidence that is available to support the assessment

ACS does not comment on non-ICT diploma. There has been precedence of claiming points in such cases, but there is nothing official about it. The eligibility to claim points for education demands that your qualification has to meet Australian standard. There is no criterion that it has to be relevant to your nominated skill.

So, as long as you can prove your non-ICT degree meets Australian standard, you can claim points for that. The only catch is, as the education is not assessed, CO can reject your claim saying your diploma does not meet the Australian standard. Never heard of such though.

Some advice to get your degree assessed by VETASSESS in such cases, but never seen a case for that.

Hello,

What if I have a certification like CCNP , A non ICT bachelor degree and 3year experience in ICT. What about the deduction here?

1. 4 year Bachelor degree in Electric and Electronics
2.Vendor Certification - CCNP
3. 3.5 Year ICT experience

What is the outcome? Please help

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Regards

Were you able to get assessment done for your wife? I have a similar profile. I have done B.A.(hons) English and have 8 years of work experience in ICT profile. Please suggest how to proceed with the assessment?

I do have a similar case. I have 4 years bachelor degree in Education, and 2 years post graduation diploma in Education as well, I believe both are non-ICT related. Yet I have a 2 years Associate degree in Business Management Technology with Computer Science option (Which is an ICT Major) Finally I have 10 years experience in Computer programming, and I can approve it by an experience certificate.
Now to my questions, Are they going to deduct 5 years out of my experience, and only consider the associate degree? Would they consider my bachelor degree to be counted in my BOI?
If my bachelors wont be assessed by ACS where shall I evaluate it?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
If you want to make your Bachelor count, you need to submit RPL with your assessment, and ACS will deduct 6 years.

So, I guess better choice to go with ICT diploma.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but you'll need at least 6 years of experience that ACS will deduct to meet suitability criteria in the absence of an ICT degree, and you'll need to submit an RPL with your assessment application. Check the following links