• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

ACS ACS assessment - skill select met date for mixed experience and qualification

Mahesh

Timeline missing
Hello @MysticRiver @Marcos Albuquerque ,

I'm sorry if i am repeating some questions here. Thank you wholeheartedly in advance for helping me out here. There are my credentials
Age - 34
2002 - BCom Graduate (completely Non IT)
2002 - 2005 - Working in non-it role
2005 - 2007 - PGDBM (MBA) in Marketing with IT subjects such as IT for Business Management,Management information systems and IT for Managers
2007 - 2008 - Worked in non-it role
2008 - 2010 - Worked in non-it role
2010 - Current - Working in IT as a BA
IELTS/PTE - Yet to appear

In parallel to my BCOM - I have done GNIIT from NIIT.

My questions are as follows
1) As per the skill met date criteria, my work ex will be considered only starting from 2007, is this correct?
2) Will I be required to apply via RPL? The rule says "Bachelor Degree or Higher" - so will my MBA be considered for evaluating if my education has ICT content or is it only bachelors?
3) What is ICT education/content? What type of subjects are part of ICT content?
4) Do the NIIT course done in parallel to my Bcom hold any value?
5) How many points will i get (excluding PTE/IELTS)? Can someone guess it?

Any answers here will be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot once again.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I assume you are talking about assessing from ACS. The following answers are based on that assumption.

1) You said you were in non IT role in 2007, so why it should be considered from 2007? It has to be relevant experience to your nominated occupation to be considered.
2) You will not need RPL ONLY IF you have Bachelor/diploma/vendor certification with ICT major/ICT minor contents.
3) ICT subjects should be IT related. Check this link for ICT major/minor criteria. I'll be surprised if your MBA curriculum had enough ICT content to be considered ICT major/minor.
4) I think you can claim your NIIT as diploma in IT and hence can avoid RPL.
5) Check this link for point calculation. Here is something came to my mind on the first glance (you should double check with the link I provided)
  • 25 points for age
  • 15 points for qualification (against MBA, you might need to assess that separately from VETASSESS)
  • I don't think you can get any point for experience because:
    • If your NIIT degree is assessed as ICT major deploma, ACS will deduct 5 years related experience, leaves you to have ~2 yrs of point-claimable experience
    • If your NIIT degree is assessed as ICT minor deploma, ACS will deduct 6 years related experience, leaves you to have ~1 yr of point-claimable experience
    • If your NIIT degree is no recognized, ACS will deduct 6 years related experience, leaves you to have ~1 yr of point-claimable experience
    • With your current status where you have IT experience of ~7 yrs (since 2010), the only way you can claim some point against experience is if you have an ICT major Bachelor degree, and I doubt if your MBA/BCom will match that criteria
  • You can have other points as well from English proficiency test, Other factors, state/family sponsorship or Australian employment/study.

Mahesh

Timeline missing
I assume you are talking about assessing from ACS. The following answers are based on that assumption.

1) You said you were in non IT role in 2007, so why it should be considered from 2007? It has to be relevant experience to your nominated occupation to be considered.
2) You will not need RPL ONLY IF you have Bachelor/diploma/vendor certification with ICT major/ICT minor contents.
3) ICT subjects should be IT related. Check this link for ICT major/minor criteria. I'll be surprised if your MBA curriculum had enough ICT content to be considered ICT major/minor.
4) I think you can claim your NIIT as diploma in IT and hence can avoid RPL.
5) Check this link for point calculation. Here is something came to my mind on the first glance (you should double check with the link I provided)
  • 25 points for age
  • 15 points for qualification (against MBA, you might need to assess that separately from VETASSESS)
  • I don't think you can get any point for experience because:
    • If your NIIT degree is assessed as ICT major deploma, ACS will deduct 5 years related experience, leaves you to have ~2 yrs of point-claimable experience
    • If your NIIT degree is assessed as ICT minor deploma, ACS will deduct 6 years related experience, leaves you to have ~1 yr of point-claimable experience
    • If your NIIT degree is no recognized, ACS will deduct 6 years related experience, leaves you to have ~1 yr of point-claimable experience
    • With your current status where you have IT experience of ~7 yrs (since 2010), the only way you can claim some point against experience is if you have an ICT major Bachelor degree, and I doubt if your MBA/BCom will match that criteria
  • You can have other points as well from English proficiency test, Other factors, state/family sponsorship or Australian employment/study.

Thanks @MysticRiver - this was helpful. Just one question - why did you mention VETASSESS? I am planning to apply under 261111 - ICT Business Analyst for which the governing body is ACS.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
why did you mention VETASSESS? I am planning to apply under 261111 - ICT Business Analyst for which the governing body is ACS.

You can claim 10 points for qualification against your diploma or 15 points for qualification against your Bahcelor/Masters. Now, if ACS assess based on your ICT diploma and do not recognize your MBA, you might need to apply visa VETASSESS (in addition to ACS assessment) to recognize your Bachelor/Masters so that you can claim 15 points.

Check the link I gave in my previous post.

Mahesh

Timeline missing
You can claim 10 points for qualification against your diploma or 15 points for qualification against your Bahcelor/Masters. Now, if ACS assess based on your ICT diploma and do not recognize your MBA, you might need to apply visa VETASSESS (in addition to ACS assessment) to recognize your Bachelor/Masters so that you can claim 15 points.

Check the link I gave in my previous post.
Oh Ok. I understand now. But from the links you gave I aslo understand that for VETASSESS to screen my profile, they need to have someone recommend my profile to them - which in this case has to be ACS.

@MysticRiver - So do you recommend, I start filing my applications for ACS as per the normal rules and regulations and wait for their assessment results to proceed further. Will that be a good way to start?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that'll be a natural start. However, you first need to make sure you have the possibility to score a minimum 60 points in total, upon successful assessment. At this moment, from the information you have shared so far, you need minimum 8 in each band in IELTS (or equivalent) to score 20 against English proficiency to have 60 points.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.