ACS ACS assessment with no post-qualification experience

Hi mystic,

I just wanted to ask a question, I have studies bachelor of physics without any ict major or minor
After graduating, I have worked in IT field for almost 27 months in developer programmer closely related area.
These were outside Australia and upto 2015, I started studying master of IT in Australia since 2015 and will finish in like 6 months.
What I wanted to know actually was if I can use the 2 year prior related work experience and my master of IT degree to apply for general skill assessment for migration?
As ACS requires one year after graduation work experience or professoinal year for Australian qualifications but since I have worked before for 2 years I wanted to know it I can use my Australian degree as IT qualification and my prior work experience for 2 years to be eligible under general scheme instead of applying under post australian study scheme?

I'd appreciate if you could get back to me regarding this as even the ACS itself is unable to help me with this!

Thanks

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You can't go for Post Australian Study Skills Assessment because as you correctly said, you need 1 year post-qualification experience or an ACS Professional Year Program.

Post Australian Study Skills Assessment
  • You will require an Australian Bachelor degree or higher with a major in ICT which is closely related to the nominated occupation (ANZSCO) plus one of the following requirements for a suitable skills assessment:
    • 1 year of relevant work experience completed after the completion date of the relevant Australian degree, or
    • Completion of an ACS Professional Year Program.

However, I believe you can assess in the category of "Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major" as there is no condition that has to be outside Australia, at least none written
Bachelor Degree or Higher with an ICT Major
  • If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major which is closely related to your nominated occupation, you will require 2 years relevant work experience completed within the past 10 years or 4 years relevant work experience completed anytime in your past work history (whichever provides the earliest skill date) to meet the suitability criteria.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
That is my understanding based on ACS documentation. I believe the main difference is, if you go through "Post Australian Study Skills Assessment" path, you need only 1 year experience deduction (post qualification) whereas general path requires at least 2 years deduction (any time). So "Post Australian Study Skills Assessment" path offers advantages for Australian graduates under specific circumstances (e.g. people who graduates from Aus and then start their career), but it does not mean they can't go for general path if that suits them more.

S

shabarankss

That is my understanding based on ACS documentation. I believe the main difference is, if you go through "Post Australian Study Skills Assessment" path, you need only 1 year experience deduction (post qualification) whereas general path requires at least 2 years deduction (any time). So "Post Australian Study Skills Assessment" path offers advantages for Australian graduates under specific circumstances (e.g. people who graduates from Aus and then start their career), but it does not mean they can't go for general path if that suits them more.

Hi Admin,

Just to be sure...If I assess with my Masters of I.T degree, will my work experience prior to the completion of my bachelors be used to meet the suitability criteria? I understand it won't be eligible for migration points.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
Could I get my degree assessed under Skill Assessment instead of Post Australia Study Assessment.

You can. But as @MysticRiver said above, it will be considered while deducting the number of years.

Hi guys,

i need advice on the points system for aussie migration. My main concern is as follows;

My profession is finance & external audit

Points on work experience – I joined one of the big 4 audit firm in Sep 2010, and have been with them to-date. I qualified ACCA on March 2017. Hence I have 1 year post qualified experience. However I have almost 8 years experience in the relevant field which is accounting & finance.

• So in summary if its post qualified experience I have only 1 year which account for zero points
  • If its experience for the relevant field I have 8 years, which is 15 points
I know that I can get my skills assessed by CPA Australia, before I do this I need some advice. Please do let me know on how to proceed. Ideally I would like some advice from a similar case.

TIA

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
While I don't have experience with CPA assessment process (there are many members here who did the same and hopefully can help you), your skill is a highly competitive one and you must score a very good point to receive an invitation. Furthermore, usually, you can claim points for post-qualification experience only which is a problem for you. What is your score?

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.