ACS - claiming post-assessment experience and exact skill level met date

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Due to popular demand, I am compiling a thread on two subjects.

Claiming post-assessment experience:

Basically, you can claim post-assessment experience as long as you continue on the same job. There were multiple precedences for this, and also that's the logical thing.... in most of the cases.

There is an exception though. There is a particular scenario I can think of when you should be careful before claiming post-assessment experience:
  1. Let say
    • you submitted for assessment on 1 July 2018.
    • you have relevant experience from 1 July 2007 with a 6 months' gap from 1 Jul 2009-31 Dec 2009.
    • you have an ICT-major Bachelor.
  2. So ACS will deduct 2 years from your last 10 years experience. Hence, your experience from 1 January 2011 will be deemed appropriate for point claim.
    • Not, ACS deducts 2 years from last 10 years' experience OR 4 years from your total experience, whichever comes to your favor.
  3. Therefore, you have 7.5 years of relevant experience for claiming points.
  4. Now, let say you decided to wait 6 more months to make it 8 months of relevant experience to claim 15 points, i.e. you plan to submit your EOI on 1 January 2019. Seems all set, right? Not quite!
  5. Think from ACS's perspective. If ACS to assess you on 1 January 2019, they would have still deducted 2 years from past 10 years (i.e. from 1 January 2009 - 1 January 2019) which would result in skill met date on 1 July 2011 (because you had a 6 months gap). So, from 1 July 2011 to 1 January 2019, you still would have 7.5 months of relevant experience.
As you can see, in the above scenario, it is not correct to add post-assessment experience to your total experience awarded by ACS. However, this is a very particular scenario when you should not claim extra points. I am not sure if DHA would go into such detailed level, but you'd be in trouble if they want to do so.

Bottom line, you always have to follow the ACS deduction rule on the day you claim your point.

What does "experience after June 2012" means in ACS result:

Want to play safe? Just claim from 1 July 2012.

However, do you miss the next slab of points for a few days if you claim it from 1 July 2012? What you are entitled to do is,
  • Check how many years ACS deducted from your experience
  • Get the starting date of your employment and get the exact date after deduction.
  • For example, let say ACS deducted 2 years, and your employment started on 20th June 2010. In that case, you should be fine claiming points from 20th June 2012, though ACS will mention "after June 2012" in the assessment letter (ACS never mentions date).
Caution: If you have any doubt, it's always better to check it with ACS, they usually advise you the exact date to claim points from, if you send them an email.

Hope the above make sense.

Cheers.

vikasp

Wanderer
MSA
2018-08-09
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-09-28
Inv.
2018-10-11
App.
2018-11-27
CO
2019-02-26
PCC
2018-11-27
Thanks for detailed explanation
and regarding explanation from Claiming post-assessment experience:
I dont have any break since the time I started working in Sep 2008, I have rcvd assessment in Jun 2018 (saying relevant experience can be counted after Sep 2010). In this case is this correct that I dont need to get new assessment after sep 2018( to get 8+ years of relevant experience).
I spoke to ACS personnel she said yes you need to get ACS done again (which I think she just said to earn money, may be I am wrong) -- Could you please confirm one more time specific to my case.

-Appreciate your timely and relevant responses.

MSA
2018-08-09
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-09-28
Inv.
2018-10-11
App.
2018-11-27
CO
2019-02-26
PCC
2018-11-27

SJR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-05-09
Skill
SC
189 /190
Point
65 / 70
EOI
2018-06-21
Thanks for detailed explanation
and regarding explanation from Claiming post-assessment experience:
I dont have any break since the time I started working in Sep 2008, I have rcvd assessment in Jun 2018 (saying relevant experience can be counted after Sep 2010). In this case is this correct that I dont need to get new assessment after sep 2018( to get 8+ years of relevant experience).
I spoke to ACS personnel she said yes you need to get ACS done again (which I think she just said to earn money, may be I am wrong) -- Could you please confirm one more time specific to my case.

-Appreciate your timely and relevant responses.
If you are still employed in the last position ACS assessed as Skilled Employment you dont need a new assessment. If you have changed since receiving it, you do.

In your EOI, if you're in the same job you just don't put an end date on that employment entry and the system will calculate any changes in points automatically. If you are lucky enough to receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for the visa, you will need to provide evidence that confirms you remained in the approved skilled employment after the ACS assessment date. This can include contracts, payslips, etc

Janeesh Karammal

Wanderer
MSA
2018-07-27
Skill
SC
Hi, Can anyone advise me on this?

I have received a positive assessment letter from ACS in last April. I could use 7.5 years of work experience. I have added my work experience end date as the date of assessment submission and continue working there till the end of 2018. Now I want to add my new work experience and a graduate certificate, and lodging a new application. should I change the work experience end date or add only new work experience?

there is no option to add still working? and will I lose the period in between?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Now I want to add my new work experience and a graduate certificate, and lodging a new application. should I change the work experience end date or add only new work experience?
If it's the same job you are continuing, you should update your existing work experience details.

there is no option to add still working?
You can leave end date blank.

and will I lose the period in between?
What did you mean by that?

Janeesh Karammal

Wanderer
MSA
2018-07-27
Skill
SC
Hi, Can anyone advise me on this?

I have received a positive assessment letter from ACS in last April. I could use 7.5 years of work experience. I have added my work experience end date as the date of assessment submission and continue working there till the end of 2018. Now I want to add my new work experience and a graduate certificate, and lodging a new application. should I change the work experience end date or add only new work experience?

there is no option to add still working? and will I lose the period in between?
End date is mandatory there . No option to edit

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Oh, I thought you were talking about EOI. For ACS purpose, yes, you should add a new entry because the existing ones are not editable.

Janeesh Karammal

Wanderer
MSA
2018-07-27
Skill
SC
Oh, I thought you were talking about EOI. For ACS purpose, yes, you should add a new entry because the existing ones are not editable.
Ok, I have received the solution for this. Just to update you guys if anyone needs. : Once you create a new assessment requestemail e mail to the assesment team with the updatthe e last date with (proof) they will edit it for you.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I have received the solution for this. Just to update you guys if anyone needs. : Once you create a new assessment requestemail e mail to the assesment team with the updatthe e last date with (proof) they will edit it for you.
That's a piece of important information, I have seen a number of people asking the same.

Adam

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Due to popular demand, I am compiling a thread on two subjects.

Claiming post-assessment experience:

Basically, you can claim post-assessment experience as long as you continue on the same job. There were multiple precedences for this, and also that's the logical thing.... in most of the cases.

There is an exception though. There is a particular scenario I can think of when you should be careful before claiming post-assessment experience:
  1. Let say
    • you submitted for assessment on 1 July 2018.
    • you have relevant experience from 1 July 2007 with a 6 months' gap from 1 Jul 2009-31 Dec 2009.
    • you have an ICT-major Bachelor.
  2. So ACS will deduct 2 years from your last 10 years experience. Hence, your experience from 1 January 2011 will be deemed appropriate for point claim.
    • Not, ACS deducts 2 years from last 10 years' experience OR 4 years from your total experience, whichever comes to your favor.
  3. Therefore, you have 7.5 years of relevant experience for claiming points.
  4. Now, let say you decided to wait 6 more months to make it 8 months of relevant experience to claim 15 points, i.e. you plan to submit your EOI on 1 January 2019. Seems all set, right? Not quite!
  5. Think from ACS's perspective. If ACS to assess you on 1 January 2019, they would have still deducted 2 years from past 10 years (i.e. from 1 January 2009 - 1 January 2019) which would result in skill met date on 1 July 2011 (because you had a 6 months gap). So, from 1 July 2011 to 1 January 2019, you still would have 7.5 months of relevant experience.
As you can see, in the above scenario, it is not correct to add post-assessment experience to your total experience awarded by ACS. However, this is a very particular scenario when you should not claim extra points. I am not sure if DHA would go into such detailed level, but you'd be in trouble if they want to do so.

Bottom line, you always have to follow the ACS deduction rule on the day you claim your point.

What does "experience after June 2012" means in ACS result:

Want to play safe? Just claim from 1 July 2012.

However, do you miss the next slab of points for a few days if you claim it from 1 July 2012? What you are entitled to do is,
  • Check how many years ACS deducted from your experience
  • Get the starting date of your employment and get the exact date after deduction.
  • For example, let say ACS deducted 2 years, and your employment started on 20th June 2010. In that case, you should be fine claiming points from 20th June 2012, though ACS will mention "after June 2012" in the assessment letter (ACS never mentions date).
Caution: If you have any doubt, it's always better to check it with ACS, they usually advise you the exact date to claim points from, if you send them an email.

Hope the above make sense.

Cheers.
Dear Admin,

Thanks for the details scenarios. Quite useful read.

I have another case which is on the same note but slightly different. I’d appreciate the team members input. Here it is:

1- I’ve the following positive ACS assessment as follows:

1- Completed work experience of 2.5 years from 2001-2004
2- completed BSC from 2004-2007
3- completed work experience for another 2years from 2009-2009
4- completed master from Australia by end 2010.
5- continues work experience from 2013- till to date.

6- PhD from Australia (expected final result August 2019.)
The assessment results from ACS was completed October 2018 with positive results.
My confusion is that to claim the PhD points, I’d need to go for another assessment next month, no worries, but will ACS consider my previous work experience from 2010 ( the date completed my Master)? Or they would consider work experience after the PhD if I need to claim those pints which will be 0 years of experience. I’m not sure on this process as on how ACS will look for those criteria given I already have Bachelor and Master assessed. Having assessed PhD from Australian university is about additional 15 points( 5 for PhD, 5 for Australian study requirement and 5 for special field(IT)). Please need your thoughts. Cheers All

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Well, ACS does say that you can't claim points before you complete your education. On that logic, if you are claiming points for your PhD, you should not be able to claim that. But I am having a doubt about this case, so I am also interested to hear from somewhere who has gone through it.

Adam

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Well, ACS does say that you can't claim points before you complete your education. On that logic, if you are claiming points for your PhD, you should not be able to claim that. But I am having a doubt about this case, so I am also interested to hear from somewhere who has gone through it.
Thanks mate, hopefully other members will provide their thoughts

MSDN90

Wanderer
MSA
2019-01-29
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
70/75
EOI
2019-06-16
Hi,

I'm a mechanical engineer and recently found a job in victoria. If I'm to assess my experience and claim 5 points for experience as a mechanical engineer, is there a minimum salary requirement?

My current pay is 45 000 per annum ($22/hr). Will that be a problem or obtaining a letter that I have worked as an engineer is enough?

Thank you

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
If I'm to assess my experience and claim 5 points for experience as a mechanical engineer, is there a minimum salary requirement?
From DHA's perspective, I don't think there is any cap on payment.

jaweria

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I have 10 years of experience in same organization in IT Division, started career as Software Quality Assurance Engineer from 2007 - 2014 then move to Project Management Office from 2014 - 2018, and then switch my Organization in June 2018. I want to apply in ICT business analyst Occupation to play safe, means need to open both options of 190 and 189. Off course my Organization wont give me experience letter of Business Analyst but I can arrange from my ex-boss to whom I was reporting directly (CIO), but the problem is he left the organization in 2017 and is in USA. My question is can I get declaration from the one who left the organization? ACS will accepts that?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I believe that's fine for the period in which both of you overlapped. Clearly, he can't certify on your work after he left.

sri123

Timeline missing
Hi,
I did my ACS skill assessment in 2018 July for occupation 261313 - Software Engineer. I received a positive skill assessment result with the skill met date from Jun 2010 and the ACS will expire by Jul 2020.
In Jan 2019, i relocated to Sydney in TSS 482 visa. The nominated occupation in the 482 visa grant is 261313 - Software Engineer.
My current job was not included in my ACS skill assessment result as i did it before moving to Sydney.
Is it possible to claim points for the Australian experience in the EOI for the current job? As per the 482 visa grant letter, i am working in the nominated occupation 261313 only or Do i need to do the ACS assessment again by including my current job?

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
Hi,
I did my ACS skill assessment in 2018 July for occupation 261313 - Software Engineer. I received a positive skill assessment result with the skill met date from Jun 2010 and the ACS will expire by Jul 2020.
In Jan 2019, i relocated to Sydney in TSS 482 visa. The nominated occupation in the 482 visa grant is 261313 - Software Engineer.
My current job was not included in my ACS skill assessment result as i did it before moving to Sydney.
Is it possible to claim points for the Australian experience in the EOI for the current job? As per the 482 visa grant letter, i am working in the nominated occupation 261313 only or Do i need to do the ACS assessment again by including my current job?
You need to include your local experience as well in your ACS

MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

sri123

Timeline missing
You need to include your local experience as well in your ACS
Hi,
Thank you for the response.
In the home affairs points table, skilled employment experience was given as below. I am satisfying the 1st condition as i hold a 482 visa.

• You can only claim points for employment if the employment was in your nominated skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation; and you were employed for the relevant periods set out in the table, in the 10 years before you are invited to apply.
  • For any Australian employment you must have held a substantive visa or a Bridging A or Bridging B visa and complied with the conditions of that visa to be eligible for points.
Employed means engaged in an occupation for remuneration for at least 20 hours a week.

Closely-related occupations must be:

• in the same ANZSCO Unit Group or
  • consistent with a career advancement pathway or
  • recognised by an assessing authority that it is closely related to your nominated occupation, as part of your skills assessment
Under the points test there is a cap on the number of points that can be awarded for employment experience. The maximum number of points that can be awarded is 20, this means that even if you score more than 20 combined points for your employment experience only 20 points will be awarded.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.