• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

ACS Skill assessment extra Doc for Thesis

Abby123

Wanderer
MSA
2017-04-05
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-04-10
Hi Everyone,

I recently applied for Skill assessment under 263111 - Computer Network and Systems Engineer. I have 1 year of Australian Experience and wanted to get my Australia Masters degree assess.

Got a reply from ACS that they need extra document from me

• An Abstract of Thesis for your Master degree(1-2 pages) with the following content:

1. Overview of thesis & Design involved for the main section of the thesis.
  2. Letter from a supervisor providing a clear indication of:
* Percentage of ICT and percentage of non-ICT (e.g math, stats, etc).
* % of original development/implementation work done - what languages were involved.

My other friends got there skill assessed without submitting this extra document. Can somebody suggest me what are they asking for and why do they want it as mine is course degree not research degree.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
This is the issue when you have manual assessment by human being, that the criteria differs from case officer to case officer (same applies for DIBP visa processing as well). I have seen lots of cases where some CO asks a lot of extra documents whereas another CO asks very minimal thing.

The best thing would be to provide the document they asked, I think it's pretty clear what they are asking.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Yes .. it happens during visa processing as well. I have seen people with similar profile had significance difference in their CO's requirements and visa processing time.

ch671

Timeline missing
I have a similar question. I have a PhD in Computer Science from US with research focus on AI/Computer Vision. Is it necessary to get this research summary with ICT content and all of that. I doubt my advisor will understand all of this and it may be hard to quantify ICT,non-ICT content such as math stats as it's all usually embedded in ICT content as part of the research code/programming. That being said, if I'm able to get such a letter can I claim 100% ICT since all the research input/output was done as a software program?

I also have a non-thesis Masters in CS from US so that shouldn't be a problem I presume?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
A PhD/Computer Vision has to be an ICT-major. If ACS raises any doubt, you can link some of your publications, if available.

ghmerti

Timeline missing
Hi,

I have a BA in Philosophy and an MSc in Computational Linguistics. If I do my PhD in Computer Science (in Natural Language Processing for specific) at Macquarie University (or other Australian universities), will ACS assess my degree an ICT degree?

Many thanks

SJR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-05-09
Skill
SC
189 /190
Point
65 / 70
EOI
2018-06-21
Hi,

I have a BA in Philosophy and an MSc in Computational Linguistics. If I do my PhD in Computer Science (in Natural Language Processing for specific) at Macquarie University (or other Australian universities), will ACS assess my degree an ICT degree?

Many thanks
take a look at the first post in this thread ACS Suitability Criteria - it sets out the ACS criteria for classifying a degree as major, minor or insufficient ICT content. That should help you determine how ACS may assess your degree - but there are no guarantees until they actually do so!

ghmerti

Timeline missing
take a look at the first post in this thread ACS Suitability Criteria - it sets out the ACS criteria for classifying a degree as major, minor or insufficient ICT content. That should help you determine how ACS may assess your degree - but there are no guarantees until they actually do so!

Thank you. I've reviewed all of ACS documents. It appears that if I have an ICT degree from Australian universities + 1 year of relevant work experience, I most probably will be assessed ICT positive! But I have a question:

What if my PhD is assessed and ICT degree and my former degrees non-ICT? Is that enough for a skill assessment for migration purposes?

SJR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-05-09
Skill
SC
189 /190
Point
65 / 70
EOI
2018-06-21
Thank you. I've reviewed all of ACS documents. It appears that if I have an ICT degree from Australian universities + 1 year of relevant work experience, I most probably will be assessed ICT positive! But I have a question:

What if my PhD is assessed and ICT degree and my former degrees non-ICT? Is that enough for a skill assessment for migration purposes?
I don't know the answer to that question I'm afraid.
You could ask ACS directly - they have a phone number you can call in certain hours with questions (its on their website under the Migration Skills section). They wont give you a definite answer, but might provide some guidance

ghmerti

Timeline missing
I don't know the answer to that question I'm afraid.
You could ask ACS directly - they have a phone number you can call in certain hours with questions (its on their website under the Migration Skills section). They wont give you a definite answer, but might provide some guidance

I emailed ACS:
If my Australian PhD is assessed by ACS as ICT major, does it matter whether my Master's or Bachelor's degree is ICT or not? In other words, does ACT assess doctorates individually or with the previous degrees?

And they answered:
We assess each qualification individually. As long as at least one of your qualifications meet the minimum criteria, it should be fine.

And I asked (although I knew the answer (but I wanted to be sure)):
The only question remaining is that how you assess a degree (i.e. PhD) when it contains no courses?

And they answered:
You’d need to provide us with your transcript and research/project/thesis abstract, and a letter from your supervisor outlining the % of ICT content in your work.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.