• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

ACT Assessment Question - Major, Minor, Non-Relevant

powerwandata

Timeline missing
Hello all

I had a bachelor's degree in Economics (4 years study time), then I had a master's degree in Information Technologies (3 semesters for a total of 10 subjects and a graduation project). During master, I had worked in a fraud unit of a Bank for 2 years (Not directly IT related but I had done data analysis using Access and SQL) and now I am working as an IT Business Analyst for 5 straight years; so what would ACS' assessment about me, is there any opinion?

I am thinking about applying visa for "ICT business Analyst". Do I need an RPL or can ACS determine my master's degree at least counted as an ICT Minor, if so how many years would ACS deduct from my BA experience. I know no one but only ACS can make the real assessment and I should maybe get help from an agent but I'm in the very beginning of my research and also on a tight budget.

Any answer is greatly appreciated.

Edit: I mistakenly opened thread as "ACT..." of course it should be "ACS", sorry for that.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You won't need RPL if your Masters had enough ICT content. Below is the post which explains everything in detail, you'll find all the answers hopefully. Please read that post, and then let us know whichever part you have any confusion.

http://www.migrationdesk.com/thread...riteria-year-deduction-from-experience.41529/

ICT MAJOR:
A post graduate qualification (Graduate Diploma or Masters) that do not require a Bachelor with an ICT major for entry into the course, must have:
  • A minimum of 3 semesters or at least 1.5 years of full-time study
  • At least 2 semesters or 1 year of full-time equivalent ICT content
  • A minimum of 12 units or subjects (overseas degrees may contain less units or subjects)
  • 50% ICT content for a 2 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
  • 33% ICT content for a 3 year Graduate Diploma or Masters qualification
ICT MINOR:
A Bachelor or higher qualification is assessed as a Minor when the ICT content is at least two thirds of the requirements for a major.

powerwandata

Timeline missing
Wow MysticRiver, thanks for the quick reply! I've already read that post and considering your answer all I need to know now is how can I find out if my subjects in Master programme will be qualified as "ICT Content", I had checked out ACS' site for a guideline or a list but couldn't find one. Also does any other work related trainings (Those provided by my employer, like a 4 days "Scrum Master Training" etc.) affect the outcome?

Thanks again.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I guess you have to use your best judgement to calculate the ICT content in your Masters (subjects related to ICT), the final decision will be ACS's. As different countries follow different curriculum, and ICT is a vast field, I doubt if you'll find any "list" in ACS website. In general, as your Masters was in IT, I'd say it's ICT major most probably (unless IT means a different thing in your case).

I don't think any 4 days' wotkshop has anything to do, it should be regarded as a part of your professional experience.

powerwandata

Timeline missing
Thanks again MysticRiver; No, "IT" is the Information Technologies and I took lessons like Database Systems, Computer Architecture and Programming. So after your very promising answers I'll start making plans for obtaining an IELTS "Superior" degree, then prepare for ACS assessment. I am sure I'll use this forum intensively throughout the whole process. Have a wonderful day.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.