Assessment with or without work experience - choice between ACS and Engineers Australia

Ashish

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,
I am planning to migrate to Australia in near future.I am having certain questions relating to my Educational qualification and Work Experience.

I have completed my Engineering degree in the year 2008 in Mechanical and Automation and presently 29 years of age.
I started my career as Purchase engineer (Logistics,Supply Chain Management) and have 2.2 years of work experience for the same.
Then I switched over to SAP Materials Management ,which belongs to IT ,although the area is related to Logistics/Supply chain,having work experience of 2.4 years.
A total of 4.6 years of experience.
My question is since my degree is in mechanical and automation(NON-IT) , and presently my field of work is SAP Materials Management,which comes under IT.Moreover, I Want to continue my career in SAP,so which Australian authority will be assessing this case (Engineers Australia or ACS).
Will my experience of SAP be counted though my degree is in Mechanical Engineering.

Can I have the option to lodge the EOI as Mechanical Engineer and in future switch over to SAP field after getting PR ,or is it always mandatory to pursue a career for which EOI is lodged?

I will be grateful for your valuable guidance at the earliest!

Thanks in advance
Ashish

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
My question is since my degree is in mechanical and automation(NON-IT) , and presently my field of work is SAP Materials Management,which comes under IT.Moreover, I Want to continue my career in SAP,so which Australian authority will be assessing this case (Engineers Australia or ACS).
Will my experience of SAP be counted though my degree is in Mechanical Engineering.
Your assessing authority is decided upon your working experience. As you want to claim points for experience, you need to choose a related occupation from SOL that matches your IT related job and ACS is going to be the assessing authority. However, because your education is non-IT related, ACS will deduct some working experience in your assessment (e.g. those deducted experience won't be considered you point claimable experience). For details of how many years ACS will deduct, check the post below

http://www.migrationdesk.com/thread...riteria-year-deduction-from-experience.41529/

Can I have the option to lodge the EOI as Mechanical Engineer and in future switch over to SAP field after getting PR ,or is it always mandatory to pursue a career for which EOI is lodged?
Once you receive your PR, you can do whatever you like. There is absolutely no restriction relating what you can do and what occupation you were assessed.

Ashish

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Your assessing authority is decided upon your working experience. As you want to claim points for experience, you need to choose a related occupation from SOL that matches your IT related job and ACS is going to be the assessing authority. However, because your education is non-IT related, ACS will deduct some working experience in your assessment (e.g. those deducted experience won't be considered you point claimable experience). For details of how many years ACS will deduct, check the post below

http://www.migrationdesk.com/thread...riteria-year-deduction-from-experience.41529/

Once you receive your PR, you can do whatever you like. There is absolutely no restriction relating what you can do and what occupation you were assessed.

Thanks a lot for your prompt reply.

Since I don't have enough experience in IT field right now,so is it advisable to lodge the EOI as a mechanical engineer without any work experience and get it assessed by Engineers Australia?

As i am aware that a minimum of 60 points are required to lodge the application.

In my case,

Age-29 yrs ; points:-30
Education-Bachelors ; points:-15
Work Experince ; points: 0

IELTS score:- ; Yet to appear ,if Band of 7 then points will be 10 if 8 Band then 20 points will be awarded.

So a total of 55 points in case of 7 Band and 65 points in case of 8 Band.
This means that I need to score 8 Band in IELTS to lodge the application and get an invitation that will be purely based on my age Degree and IELTS points?
Is my understanding right regarding my present case?

Thanks and Regards

Ashish Khanna

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
This means that I need to score 8 Band in IELTS to lodge the application and get an invitation that will be purely based on my age Degree and IELTS points?
Is my understanding right regarding my present case?

You are right. You can assess yourself with EA based on your education only. Below is the statement from EA.

Also, you can still apply with IETLS 7 (in each band) in subclass 190 (state sponsored), so that you can claim extra 5 points to make you eligible with 60 points.

Engineers Australia said:
I have limited engineering experience. Can I still apply for an assessment of my Engineering qualification?
Yes, you can still apply. Please note that Work Experience is not a mandatory requirement. It is possible for you to demonstrate your competencies by referring to your undergraduate engineering qualification and the project/work experience elements of your academic study. Note that you must provide an employer reference letter if you have relevant experience of 12 months of more, or if the work experience provides a basis for a Career Episode.

Suab

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24
Hello,

I am writing on behalf of my brother. He is a civil engineer graduated in 2013. After that he completed his MBA in finance in 2016 and started working in the finance domain thereafter he has been working in the Finance domain for last 11 months.

Now he is planning to look his prospects of moving to Australia and explore what avenues he could fit in.

My queries are:

1. Can he aim for an assessment from EA with his Civil Engineering degree even though he has never worked in the engineering domain in his career and it has been 4 years since he graduated?

2a. If yes, and if gets a positive assessment, will this pose any suspicion or create any sorts of issues when he applies for the visa since the form 80 would require him to justify what he did in the time period of 2014-17; wherein he'll have to tell that he completed his MBA and is employed in finance domain; which will be a mis match for what has been assessed for and the work he actually does?

2b. If, No. What other possible avenues he can explore?

Thanks

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
Can he aim for an assessment from EA with his Civil Engineering degree even though he has never worked in the engineering domain in his career and it has been 4 years since he graduated?

I think you dont need work experience for that.

2a. If yes, and if gets a positive assessment, will this pose any suspicion or create any sorts of issues when he applies for the visa since the form 80 would require him to justify what he did in the time period of 2014-17; wherein he'll have to tell that he completed his MBA and is employed in finance domain; which will be a mis match for what has been assessed for and the work he actually does?

If the answer is yes, then I think there's no issue, since the person wasnt claiming any points for experience of being a civil engineer.

2b. If, No. What other possible avenues he can explore?

Why not go for Accountant as an occupation?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Can he aim for an assessment from EA with his Civil Engineering degree even though he has never worked in the engineering domain in his career and it has been 4 years since he graduated?
Yes, he can. EA doesn't need relevant experience for a positive assessment. He has to write his 3 career episodes based on his degree.

will this pose any suspicion or create any sorts of issues when he applies for the visa since the form 80 would require him to justify what he did in the time period of 2014-17; wherein he'll have to tell that he completed his MBA and is employed in finance domain; which will be a mis match for what has been assessed for and the work he actually does?
That won't be an issue. DIBP does not require that you'll be employed in your nominated occupation. Instead, the big challenge would be to complete 60 points (and in most cases, it requires more to get an invitation) without any point for experience (his finance experience will not give him any point if he's assessed as a civil engineer, even if he had several years of experience).

Suab

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24
Yes, he can. EA doesn't need relevant experience for a positive assessment. He has to write his 3 career episodes based on his degree.

That won't be an issue. DIBP does not require that you'll be employed in your nominated occupation. Instead, the big challenge would be to complete 60 points (and in most cases, it requires more to get an invitation) without any point for experience (his finance experience will not give him any point if he's assessed as a civil engineer, even if he had several years of experience).

Thanks for your response MysticRiver.

It seems to be a doable thing in that case. As far as points are concerned, sure there are a few 'ifs', but seems to be an achievable task. As per our calculation if he gets the highest band in PTE/IELTS he could surpass that threshold and achieve 65 points which are more than what current cut off is going on for the Civil Engineer skill I suppose.

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24

Suab

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24
I think you dont need work experience for that.

If the answer is yes, then I think there's no issue, since the person wasnt claiming any points for experience of being a civil engineer.

Why not go for Accountant as an occupation?

Thanks Rakshanda. Going for Accountant as an occupation wont be a feasible option for us. The current cut off going on for Accountant is 80 points (Correct me if I am wrong here) and it wont be possible for my brother to get these many points.

MSA
2016-11-14
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-02-04
Inv.
2017-02-15
App.
2017-03-05
CO
2017-03-16
PCC
2017-03-22
HC
2017-03-02
Grant
2017-03-24

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
Accountant is 80 points

Correct.

As per our calculation if he gets the highest band in PTE/IELTS he could surpass that threshold and achieve 65 points which are more than what current cut off is going on for the Civil Engineer skill I suppose.

That's achievable indeed.

Immu

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-06-12
Skill
I'm going to Get EA assessment to my Mechanical Engineer based on Degree as i don't have a relevant work experience. With that
Qualification: 15 Points
English : 10 Points
Total : 55 Points
Please suggest what all visa categories can i apply for 189/190/489 visa .
Note: i don't have work experience Assessment.
My Elder living Victoria brother with Australian Passport

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You cannot apply on 189 (requires at least 60 points).

You can apply on 190, 489SS, 489FS. However, whether you will get an invitation, depends on your occupation's current trend.

Immu

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-06-12
Skill
You cannot apply on 189 (requires at least 60 points).

You can apply on 190, 489SS, 489FS. However, whether you will get an invitation, depends on your occupation's current trend.
Dear, Thanks for your prompt reply,

if applying 489FS then it seems the chances are more because i get 65 points in total , can we know the current ceiling for Mechanical Engineer for 190,489FS.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
if applying 489FS then it seems the chances are more because i get 65 points in total
The problem is
DIBP said:
SkillSelect first allocates available places toSkilled – Independent visas (subclass 189) and then the remaining to Skilled – Regional (Provisional) visas (subclass 489). If all places are taken up by subclass 189 visas then there will be no invitations issued for subclass 489 visas in these occupations.

can we know the current ceiling for Mechanical Engineer for 190,489FS.

Did you mean occupation ceiling? There is no ceiling for 190. 489FS has the same ceiling as 189.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.