2017 Australian citizenship - Documents checklist

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You need to provide below documents (but not limited to)
  • Three identity documents that all together show your
    • photograph and signature
    • current residential address
    • birth name, date of birth and gender.
  • If you have changed your name, provide evidence of this including links between names
  • The Identity declaration completed by a person with the relevant authority and accompanied by an endorsed photograph signed by the same person. If you are applying on a paper application, this is contained in the form. If you are applying online, a Form 1195 – Identity Declaration (232KB PDF) is required for yourself and each person included in your application form
  • If you spent more than 12 months outside Australia since you were 18 years old and had your permanent residency
    • Provide a penal clearance certificate from every country in which you spent more than 90 days
  • In any circumstances, if penal clearance from Australia is required, the authority will arrange it, you don't need to do/pay anything for that
  • You you include any children in your application, or applied for any exemption, you have to provide supporting documents
Identity documents example:
  • An Australian driver's licence
  • A passport
  • A national identity card
  • UNHCR document
  • Other documents containing a signature and photograph such as:
    • an air crew identity document
    • seafarer identity document
    • military identity document
    • student card
  • A utilities notice such as electricity, gas or water bill
  • Rental contracts or rates notice
  • A full birth certificate, or your country's equivalent
  • Evidence of links between present and previous names, for example a marriage or divorce certificate, if applicable
  • Change of name documents from an Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages, if applicable
  • Documents showing other names that you or your children have been known by
  • One passport-sized photograph and Identity declaration signed by an Australian citizen with the appropriate authority
  • You will need to provide documents for any children on your application too, including
    • a full birth certificate or family register containing parent's details
    • a travel document or passport, if they are not on your passport
    • evidence of links between birth name and current name, if applicable
    • one passport-sized photograph and identity declaration signed by an Australian citizen with the appropriate authority.
    • If there are any parenting orders relating to your children, or they have been adopted, then you will need to provide these documents
  • If you are applying for Australian citizenship by conferral, you are required to provide evidence of your entry to Australia
    • Current and previous passport
    • Travel document with visa such as a Document for Travel to Australia, PLO56 (M56), Titre de Voyage

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt it, if your name is not in that document, how can this be your identity document? It's same as verbally saying I live there without any proof.

Also, in my knowledge, the rental agencies specifically requires all adult occupants to be a party in the cintract (for example,when a couple rent a house, both need to sign the contract). So, unless your friend's agency maintains different standard, I am not sure if you want to officially declare that you are subletting.

Edit: Just to be clear, you meant the contract signee is only your housemate, right? Otherwise, if you are also a party in the contract (e.g. co-signee), ofcourse yoy can submit that.

Hi,
Question related to getting the identification and photo signed by a person with relevant authority. Do I have ta have a friendship with that person? Or Can be a professional relationship only? I'm asking because the requirement says that person needs to be easy to contac during business hrs. Can I ask my doctor to do that? She knows me as a patient but if she's contacted I'm not sure if she's gonna remember who I am.

If you can provide any clarification tha would be very helpful

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Can I ask my doctor to do that?
I am pretty sure you can if she agrees. I think the criteria are very clearly described in Form 1195

Who can complete the Identity declaration
Questions 1 and 4 of this form must be completed by the person who is applying for citizenship (the applicant). Questions 2 and 3 of this form must be completed, and the photograph endorsed and signed, by a person who:
  • is an Australian citizen, and
  • has known you for at least one year, and
  • is currently working in a profession or occupation listed on pages 1 and 2, and
  • is not related to you by birth, marriage or de facto relationship, and
  • is easy to contact by telephone during normal working hours

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Are you talking about arriving Australia first time in a PR visa?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Should be okay, as long as it is verifiable from your agent, if DIBP wants.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
There is a long list of identity documents at the first post, you need to provide any three from those.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
That's an unusual situation. Maybe an ImmiCard is a solution? Not sure though. Better to call the department.

I am not sure if the below instruction applies for citizenship application as well
http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/lega/lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/no-current-passport
Hi Thanks for your response . I have had a look at the link and it looks like the way to go . I will keep you informed of my progress and hopefully it may help others in the same situation as me . Again thank you very much Dave C

Hi Thanks for your response . I have had a look at the link and it looks like the way to go . I will keep you informed of my progress and hopefully it may help others in the same situation as me . Again thank you very much Dave C
Hi all. I contacted Citizenship information line ph 131 880 and they said because I came over on the uk immigration scheme in the 60s obviously I cant fill in that question I just need to supply a copy of my Document of Identity which has all my families info on it

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dave for letting the community know. Please update us time to time about your case.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure what is your confusion here

DIBP said:
As part of your citizenship application, we will need a signed Identity declaration and endorsed passport-sized photograph of you.

Another person must complete the Identity declaration on your behalf and endorse the back of a passport-size photograph of you. That person must:
  • be an Australian citizen, and
  • have known you for at least one year, and
  • not be related to you by birth, marriage or de facto relationship, and
  • be currently working in a position from the designated list of occupations, and
  • be easy to contact by telephone during normal working hours.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.