• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

ACT Australian Driving License - Canberra (Australian Capital Territory - ACT)


Staff member
Driving license is ACT is similar to other states with minor differences. In this post, we will be discussing Car License only (not motor cycle or heavy vehicle). You can be any of the following categories
  • Overseas Full License Holder (Migrant): Have right to drive within first 3 months of entering ACT (remember, not entering Australia) with his overseas license. However must obtain an ACT license with that period. All he requires is to appear in a knowledge test and then a practical driving test to obtain a Full License (no P license required). However if his license belongs to any of the Approved Countries or Experienced Driver Recognised Countries, he does not need to give any exam, rather he can obtain license like an interstate license holder (see below).
  • Overseas Full License Holder (Non-migrant): Not required to obtain an ACT Driver Licence if he has no intention of becoming a permanent resident.
  • Interstate License Holder: If you own an interstate licence (except a learner licence) from any Australian state or territory, you can exchange it for an ACT licence free of charge at any Canberra Connect Shopfront or the Civic Driver Licence Service.
  • First time license applicant: In that case you need to go through whole process - getting a Learners Permit and then have your P license upon appearing practical test and at last converted to full license.
The different license types and exams are describe below:
  • Learner's License: You need to fulfill the followings:
    • must be at least 15 years and 9 months old
    • successfully complete road safety course - Road Ready Program (most ACT secondary schools offer the course as part of the year 10 program. For others, the course can be taken at a Road Ready Centers, total 10 hr course, costs $175 including 4 free attempts to knowledge test)
    • pass the computer based Road Rules Knowledge Test
    • successfully complete an eye test
  • Road Rules Knowledge Test: This is a very easy test comprising 35 questions. You are allowed to make 2 mistakes but must answer all alcohol & drugs, intersection and seat belt related questions (around 10) correctly. There is a Online Practice Knowledge Test available (link below), all real exam question will be familiar if you complete that online test 2/3 times (each time 80-90% questions will be repeated). You can appear the test twice a day (if unsuccessful), each time will cost you $40.
  • Provisional (P) License: Once you have your learner's permit, you may have a P license if
    • you are at least 17 years of age, and
    • hold a learner licence for a minimum of 6 months, and
    • complete any of the following:
      • take a practical driving test with an ACT Government Licence Examiner, or
      • The Competency Based Training and Assessment Scheme (CBT&A), which uses a logbook system through an Accredited Driving Instructor (usually takes 7-15 classes), easier option but more costly
  • Full License: Once you have your P license, you can get your full license automatically without any exam after 3 years.
This limitations of Learner's License are:
  • display "L" plates at the front and rear of the vehicle
  • not tow a trailer exceeding 750kg GVM
  • have a blood or breath alcohol concentration of zero when driving or riding
  • ensure that a person holding a full Australian Driver Licence occupies the seat next to the Learner;
This limitations of Provisional License are:
  • 'P' plates must be displayed for the three years (if the driver or rider holds their provisional licence for a period of six months and completes an optional Road Ready provisional licence course, they may remove their 'P' plates)
  • Provisional licence holders must have a blood or breath alcohol concentration of zero
  • If a practical driving assessment is successfully passed in an automatic vehicle then the licence will be endorsed with an 'A' (automatic), after 12 months the licence holder can have the 'A' condition removed
Before getting the license, he/she needs to provide her proof of identity/residency.

Reference & Useful Links:
Online Practice Knowledge Test
Road Rules Handbook
License Fees
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.