2013 Basic eligibility - Federal skilled workers - PhD students


Staff member
You must be either
  • an international student enrolled in a PhD program in Canada who:
    • has finished at least two years of study toward a PhD,
    • is in good academic standing at the time you apply, and
    • did not get an award that requires you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills.
  • a graduate of a PhD program in Canada who:
    • graduated no more than 12 months before the date we get your application, and
    • did not get an award which required you to return to your home country to apply your knowledge and skills (or did, but have already met the terms of the award).
PhD applicants are subjected to the same selection criteria as any other FSWP applicant, including minimum language thresholds, having either a completed Canadian educational credential or a completed foreign credential with an ECA, and work experience requirements (i.e. one year of continuous full-time paid experience in a single NOC 0, A or B occupation).

Not more than 1,000 applications will be considered for processing each year in the PhD stream. These applications will not be included in the total for any other cap. Applications will be considered in the order they were received.

The last cap year began on November 1, 2012, and ended on May 3, 2013. The new cap year began on May 4, 2013, and will end on April 30, 2014.

If you are eligible, your application will be sent to one of immigration offices for processing. They will assess the rest of your application. Once they have started this process, you cannot demand a refund on your fee.

If you got an Educational Credential Assessment, it does not guarantee you a job in your field or that you will be able to get a license in Canada. If you plan to work in an occupation that is regulated in Canada, you should contact the regulatory authority in the province where you plan to live. They can give you important information about getting your license, including any steps you can take before you leave your home country.
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.