• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Australia can i work in IT company in student visa?

hi, i am from Nepal. I got my student visa for my masters in IT and my course is starting from feb so i thought of going to Sydney and work there for 3 months but i am not sure if i am eligible to work in a IT company. I have got 3 years of experience in web application development here from Nepal. Could you please provide my with any suggestions. That will be of great help.
Thank you in advance.

regards
Suman lama

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
hi, i am from Nepal. I got my student visa for my masters in IT and my course is starting from feb so i thought of going to Sydney and work there for 3 months but i am not sure if i am eligible to work in a IT company.
I believe you need to confirm that from the immigration department yourself if how many hours of work are you allowed in a week. Students are allowed to work in general. I am not sure what's your subclass.

Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-03-13
Hi Suman,
As far as I know, with student visa you are allowed to work only 40 hs fortnigth, wich is the same as 20 hs weekly.
Which is less than most "part-time" jobs.
I have the same issue, most part-time jobs on seek are to work 3 days a week that is 24hs weekly.

Please Keep me posted if you get a job on an IT company for only 20hs.

Best regards,
German

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.