• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

2017 Canada point system explained

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
The Canadian point system is detailed on the following page:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

And there is also a calculator available to calculate your total point:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp

Below is a short explanation of each section of the point system:
  1. Core/human capital factors
    • Based on your Age, Education, Language proficiency & Canadian work experience, you can claim maximum
      • 500 points if you are single, or
      • 460 points if you have a spouse or common-law partner
        • The 40 point deficit (compared to single applicant) can be claimed based on your spouse/partner's factors
    • Point system for Age, Education & Canadian work experience are pretty much self-explanatory
    • Canada has two official languages (English & French), and hence you can claim points for your proficiency on each of those languages
      • You can choose any of the languages as the first official language, the remaining one automatically become second official language
      • For the first official language, you can claim maximum
        • 34 points per module (reading/writing/speaking/listening), if you are single
          • That makes a total maximum claimable point of 136 (34x4)
          • Unlike Australian immigration point system, here you can claim points differently for each module.
        • 32 points per module, if you have a spouse or common-law partner. That makes a maximum total of 128
      • For the second official language, you can claim maximum 6 points irrespective of your conjugal status
        • Same as first official language, the points are distributed per module, not as a total. Take a note that, if you have a spouse or common-law partner, the maximum you can claim here is 22, even if you get 6 points at each module.
  2. Spouse or common-law partner factors (if applicable)
    • Based on your partner's education, languages proficiency, and Canadian work experience, you can claim a maximum 40 points in this category.
  3. Skill transferability factors
    • You can claim a maximum of 100 points in this section. However, you cannot claim more than 50 points in each of the 2 categories
      • Category A: There are 2 sub-categories:
        • Based on your language proficiency and post-secondary degree, you can claim up to 50 points
        • Based on your Canadian work experience and a post-secondary degree, you can claim up to 50 points
        • However, the total must not exceed 50 points (so if your total in this category is 75 points, you have to count 50)
        • You can think of this category as bonus points because you already claimed some points for your language proficiency, education and Canadian work experience in the previous section!
      • Category B: There are also 2 sub-categories:
        • Based on your foreign work experience and post-secondary degree, you can claim up to 50 points
        • Based on your Canadian work experience and foreign work experience, you can claim up to 50 points
        • Like category A, the total must not exceed 50 points (so if your total in this category is 75 points, you have to count 50)
  4. Additional points
    • Finally, you can claim up to 600 points in this section
The total point in the offer is 1200.

Note that the work experience (foreign and Canadian) must skilled:
  • NOC type 0, A or B
  • Full-time or equivalent part-time
  • Acquired within the last 10 years

Avin

Commoner
MSA
2017-08-25
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-08-30
How does this system is different from Australia?

Does Canada have different occupations with different cut off points?

And in invitation round of Canada if I score the lowest CRS score they publish I will get invite ? And what about occupation ceiling are there any?

Last edited:

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Does Canada have different occupations with different cut off points?
Don't think so.

And in invitation round of Canada if I score the lowest CRS score they publish I will get invite ?
There is a global cutoff point at each round, like non-prorated occupations in Australia
CIC said:
There will be regular rounds to invite the top-ranked candidates in the pool to apply for permanent residence. We may invite you to apply if you’re among them.
You must have an invitation to apply before you can apply online for permanent residence.
https://www.migrationdesk.com/threads/canada-immigration-express-entry-result-history-2017.41890/
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/pool.asp

And what about occupation ceiling are there any?
There used to be a fixed ceiling before for each occupation (unlike Australia where ceiling varies with occupation), but I think they cancelled it during last years.

Sameera Omer

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi All,
I submitted my express entry profile on 24th Sep 2017, but up until now, they havent given me any document upload checklist, in short, there is no place to upload the documents anywhere and they gave me the msg that my profile has been added into the pool. Is it normal?

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.