MSA
2018-03-31
Skill
SC
489 SA
Point
Nom.
2019-07-03
What are the chances of getting a job as a software engineer/developer if I apply under Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) state nominated category?
Are there IT jobs available in regional areas in Australia and are employers willing to offer jobs under this visa (without having PR)?
Additionally, what states would be best to apply under subclass 489 for a software engineer (i'm looking for the job availability in regional areas)

Your help is very much appreciated. I am desperately looking for options to move to Australia and seems like subclass 189 and 190 are impossible.

maandeswal

Collaborator
Entitled Member
Skill
SC
186 ENS
Point
70/75
What are the chances of getting a job as a software engineer/developer if I apply under Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) state nominated category?
Are there IT jobs available in regional areas in Australia and are employers willing to offer jobs under this visa (without having PR)?
Additionally, what states would be best to apply under subclass 489 for a software engineer (i'm looking for the job availability in regional areas)

Your help is very much appreciated. I am desperately looking for options to move to Australia and seems like subclass 189 and 190 are impossible.

Kindly elaborate your question to be more specific about like your job title, in which states, your points & English score plus total experience. So there will be easy to give you more specific information

nnawalage

Wanderer
MSA
2018-03-31
Skill
SC
489 SA
Point
Nom.
2019-07-03
Kindly elaborate your question to be more specific about like your job title, in which states, your points & English score plus total experience. So there will be easy to give you more specific information
I am a .net software engineer having around 6 years of experience. I have 7 each in IELTS and for subclass 189 I have only 65 points which is not sufficient for ICT occupations. So I am researching whether subclass 489 be a possible option, but my main concern is the IT job availability in regional areas in Australia.

What states would be best to apply under subclass 489 for a software engineer (i'm looking for the job availability in regional areas) is a question that I have, I prefer a state which has software engineering jobs in regional areas. But currently I'm unaware of these details. So appreciate if you can share some info on this as well.

nnawalage

Wanderer
MSA
2018-03-31
Skill
SC
489 SA
Point
Nom.
2019-07-03
How many points do you have for 189?
189: 65 and 190:70 which is not sufficient for Software engineers :( and I attempted IELTS 3 times and PTE as well but couldn't get a band score 8. So I'm checking whether subclass 489 is an option and whether there will be SE jobs available in regional areas. And if IT jobs available in which states. But I don't want to move to a regional area and do a job which is not relevant to Software Engineering.

maandeswal

Collaborator
Entitled Member
Skill
SC
186 ENS
Point
70/75
@nnawalage First of all, you made good decision that you are not going by 65 points as I don't see you will receive ITA as of current cutoff trends coming each month. So here you can improve you English score by giving PTE. This will benefit you in both case either you go by 189 or 489.

Secondly, on 489 you are eligible for VIC, QLD & NT also SA with 80pts. So in this category I would recommend avoiding QLD & NT and SA you don't qualify. Hereby you are left with VIC and VIC is better with Software Engineer Jobs in Melbourne but not that much bad in few regional areas like other states.

While getting IT jobs nowadays is really like crossing a river full of crocodiles but it doesn't mean no body cross the river. Here I mean to say you need more preparation according to Australian market, apply for each job with more specific cover letter & resume and after making few strong points to stay out of crowd.

One big daunting problem it that most of employers prefer a PR status candidate so this become more tough when you are on 489 provisional visa. Also they expect local experience and its child understanding that if no one give a chance then how a person will get local experience.

In short, I would suggest you that do deep research about regional area whichever you target because CO can ask you about you can fulfil industry requirement in that regional area and at that point you need to show some recent job postings for your occupation and tell that you are relevant to that post. So must prepare these things in advance

Last edited:

xtremeeran

Wanderer
MSA
2019-03-25
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2019-03-25
@nnawalage First of all, you made good decision that you are not going by 65 points as I don't see you will receive ITA as of current cutoff trends coming each month. So here you can improve you English score by giving PTE. This will benefit you in both case either you go by 189 or 489.

Secondly, on 489 you are eligible for VIC, QLD & NT also SA with 80pts. So in this category I would recommend avoiding QLD & NT and SA you don't qualify. Hereby you are left with VIC and VIC is better with Software Engineer Jobs in Melbourne but not that much bad in few regional areas like other states.

While getting IT jobs nowadays is really like crossing a river full of crocodiles but it doesn't mean no body cross the river. Here I mean to say you need more preparation according to Australian market, apply for each job with more specific cover letter & resume and after making few strong points to stay out of crowd.

One big daunting problem it that most of employers prefer a PR status candidate so this become more tough when you are on 489 provisional visa. Also they expect local experience and its child understanding that if no one give a chance then how a person will get local experience.

In short, I would suggest you that do deep research about regional area whichever you target because CO can ask you about you can fulfil industry requirement in that regional area and at that point you need to show some recent job postings for your occupation and tell that you are relevant to that post. So must prepare these things in advance

I am also in the same boat as @nnawalage. @maandeswal Could you please help me with the chances of acquiring 489 when having an eligible sponsor.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.