• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Choosing state and job opportunity in Australia

Mohamed

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I am currently stumbled by numerous questions and here are some of them
First of all Australia is a vast country and I am pretty reluctant in choosing my destination there Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, or Adelaide all of them are stunning places and frankly I don't know what is the best for me in terms of Work as a mech. engineer, my kids' school, neighbors, cultural familiarity and etc.,,,

Secondly, I am seriously thinking to have my all family with me in my first entry despite the expenses and having no space of free mobilization to get a job at my first start. I have three daughters 7, 6.5 and 2 years old and their Mum will be suffering if left alone in my country Egypt in case of travelling without being with me, That's why I selected to be together.

Finally, due to the big gap in professional standards between the Australian workforce and The Arabian one, I believe that working as a technician in Australia instead of doing my current job as a service manager in Saudi Arabia will be more workable to improve my intellectual skills and communication ones plus getting the place exp. rather than occupying a higher post, if possible;) with greater tasks and responsibilities. Am I right?

Timeline missing
Many thanks brothers for your immensely kind feelings :) and actually I am currently stumbled by numerous questions and here are some of them
First of all Australia is a vast country and I am pretty reluctant in choosing my destination there Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Brisbane, or Adelaide all of them are stunning places and frankly I don't know what is the best for me in terms of Work as a mech. engineer, my kids' school, neighbors, cultural familiarity and etc.,,,

Secondly, I am seriously thinking to have my all family with me in my first entry despite the expenses and having no space of free mobilization to get a job at my first start. I have three daughters 7, 6.5 and 2 years old and their Mum will be suffering if left alone in my country Egypt in case of travelling without being with me, That's why I selected to be together.

Finally, due to the big gap in professional standards between the Australian workforce and The Arabian one, I believe that working as a technician in Australia instead of doing my current job as a service manager in Saudi Arabia will be more workable to improve my intellectual skills and communication ones plus getting the place exp. rather than occupying a higher post, if possible;) with greater tasks and responsibilities. Am I right?
Let me share my opinions about your questions... we are on the same boat at this point, so we can help each other!

1) You are a lucky guy because you can choose whatever you want to settle in a first moment, I'm not that lucky because I have a 190 PR and must live in NSW for the two initial years. :D
... but my opinion about the cities you have mentioned:
a) Sydney: mecca of Australia. The majority of labour force & job opportunites (at least for IT market) is here. Also, gateway of the country. Downside: more expensive for the new immigrant.
b) Melbourne: cultural and vibrant city. 2nd important city.
c) Perth: stunning but isolated compared to the other australian cities. :)
d) Brisbane: awesome, closer to the Gold Coast and much more cheaper than Sydney & Melbourne. I have 2 friends living there and they love it!
e) Adelaide: Can't say anything about it.

2) I see no issues unless you have good savings to keep your family altogether during the first 1-3 months. Remember: Australia is expensive compared to Egypt and Brazil, so for us, this is relevant to keep in mind, if we have no jobs at the beginning.

3) I strongly agree! A manager in Egypt or in Brazil has no kind of relevance for the local australian market (remembeer: we are new to the local market with zero previous local experience), so if you have this mentality I think it will much better to build a career at senior/manager levels in Australia, just going further step by step.

These are my thoughts, I can't be wrong in some of the aspects but I just wanted to share my researches and opinions. I hope you find them useful. Mystic might be able to add some valuable inputs on those too. :)

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know what is the best for me in terms of Work as a mech. engineer, my kids' school, neighbors, cultural familiarity
It's not that straight forward. Regarding work, honestly it is not a very easy going for most of the people. I know a lot of them, and most of them start with something totally different than what they were skilled in, or had experience in. In Australia, the job market is very competitive, and having any local experience have huge importance getting job. So, first job is critical and unless you are lucky, you might end up waiting for sometime before you can find a job that you like. I am not saying you should not try or loose hope, I am just saying to be prepared for anything and, okay with taking small steps initially rather than waiting for a big fish right away. This is the main reason that new migrants get depressed at the beginning, and believe me, I have seen a lot of them among friends and acquaintances.

However, ofcourse big cities like Sydney, Melbourne will have more opportunities. So, you can start their. But remember, those cities will be expensive as well (just an idea, an average unfurnished 2 bedroom apartment in Sydney will be around $400/week, also living cost in Australia is high).

Regarding kid's school and other public services, Australia is very much people-friendly countries with lots of help from the governments to the people. And unlike many countries, everything is decentralized, so I don't think you have a big problem on that part.

And lastly, about culture and neighbors, if you are comfortable having a familiar neighborhood (means people from your culture), you can find it anywhere, but ofcourse big cities will have more such neighborhood. If you ask me, I am more of a guy who wants to mingle with local culture more, where ever I go.

Another point you might consider that, if you have that opportunity to share a house for initial few days with any friends/family, you might want to go to that state. The reason I am telling that is, the hotels in Australia is damn expensive, and with a 5 member family, you have to pay a lot in any hotel in Sydney/Melbourne. And you should know that renting a house is not as easy as many places. Many of the time, the agency/landlord will not give you the property, even if you are ready to pay the price they ask, unless you have a good bank balance to show, or an income source and some local references. The process of renting here is very formal and little bit pain in the ass. So better to stay some place for cheap unless you can rent a house. May be you can try some shared house, but I really hate that, specially I am with my family.

I am seriously thinking to have my all family with me in my first entry despite the expenses
It has both positive and negative sides. Positive side is, like both you and Marcus said, their will be less hassle as you can help them in travel. The negative side is, as Marcus pointed out, you might not have the job for sometime at the beginning, and secondly the last para I mentioned (it's easier to find a place if you are alone, rather than with full family).

having no space of free mobilization to get a job at my first start.
Mobility is not be a major issue. I would suggest you don't settle too much in any state unless you get a job (which can be days, weeks or months). Just start with minimal settlement, no major furniture so that you can move and settle to somewhere you get a job. In my opinion, it is an extreme luxury in Australia to reject a job because it is in other state (unless you really hate that place), for your first job.

rather than occupying a higher post
Answered in first paragraph. Also, remember, like other developed countries, there is absolutely no class difference based in jobs. Everybody do everything, no discrimination. And like I said before, unless you are lucky, you'll get a job in your field straight away, and you need to be very very to get a job in higher post at the beginning.

we are on the same boat at this point, so we can help each other!
I like this point.
Adelaide: Can't say anything about it.
The city is small, but well planned. Not as big, messy as Sydney, that's why some people love that. But ofcourse, job opportunity is best in NSW.

Timeline missing
Thanks Mystic for the valuable information!

Another option that I see for initial settlement/renting is to use Airbnb outlet. People can rent for months with progressive discounts... I plan to use a friend's place at a first moment and then search a place for me and wife/kid.
I don't want to be off-topic, but do you know or have any comment about Cronulla in South Sydney?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Mystic for the valuable information!

Another option that I see for initial settlement/renting is to use Airbnb outlet. People can rent for months with progressive discounts... I plan to use a friend's place at a first moment and then search a place for me and wife/kid.
I don't want to be off-topic, but do you know or have any comment about Cronulla in South Sydney?
I don't know much about that area. But, if you are concern about distance, I can assure you most of the people live in similar distant area, at least at the beginning. The more you go nearer city center, the more expensive the rent will be. Also, the train system in Sydney is awesome, so you don't need to worry much.

Ashish

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,
I was going through this discussion section and found it very valuable.

I have one doubt regarding the occupation in Australia based on the current qualification of my wife,who is about to receive the Doctorate degree in Textiles.

It will be of great help to me if you could assist me with any link through which I can gather information regarding the scope of the job in the textile sector, be it in research or in lecturership in Australia.I mean to say any career counselling link you might be aware of?

Also,is any short-term course in Australia required to be done that can help in opening the door of employment in the desired field.

B'Regards
Ashish

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ashish,

For any academic career opportunity, you can directly browse different university's websites. If your wife want to start a post-doc, she might wants to contact professors. Other than that, the most popular and widely used website to search job in Australia is www.seek.com.au.

Normally in the local industry, local experience and local trainings have most importance. So people do tends to take some short course after rwaching here. However, as she's a doctorate already, she might find some reasearch job, which you need to explore.

Abbas Azarmehr

Commoner
MSA
2016-07-04
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-07-06
Inv.
2016-07-20
App.
2016-08-02
CO
2016-08-16
PCC
2016-08-23
HC
2016-08-30
Grant
2017-08-09
My wife has bachelors degree in agricultural engineering. Should her degree be assessed by Engineers Australia before she could find a job in her field in Australia? How about enrolling in an university? Should she pay a fee to enroll in a course though she is a permanent resident?

MSA
2016-07-04
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-07-06
Inv.
2016-07-20
App.
2016-08-02
CO
2016-08-16
PCC
2016-08-23
HC
2016-08-30
Grant
2017-08-09

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Nipe, she doesn't need to assess her degree for job.

PR holders doesn't need to fee tution fees for masters by research and PhD.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.