ACS Clarification on some ACS suitability criteria phrasing

TheDude

Timeline missing
So I originally posted this a few days ago in the thread that is currently pinned at the top but I did not receive a reply so I'll just copy/paste the post on here:

Hey there, Admin. I've got a few questions but I'll try to limit this post to just a couple of them and maybe ask the following ones later or even in another thread.
I've got an Australian master's degree in Information Technology. I plan on doing a Professional Year Program (PYP) in the very near future. I was trying to wrap my head around the process of getting my skills assessed as my ultimate goal is to get a 189 visa. From what I've understood so far, to meet the suitability criteria, I've got to have an Aussie degree and then have either (a) 1 year of relevant work experience or (b) have completed an Australian Computer Society (ACS) PYP.

As I was reading one of the documents available on the ACS website, I ran into the following:
Only employment completed after the date you have met the ACS suitability criteria will be counted as Skilled Employment and eligible for migration points.

What does "the date" refer to here? Is it the date of completion for my master's degree? Or is it the date at which I'll have completed my PYP? I ask because I'm currently employed and if the date referred to in that quote is the date at which I'll finish my PYP, does this mean that my current employment won't count for anything?
Thanks in advance.

TheDude

Timeline missing
For the sake of posterity, I will answer my own question. It turns out that the date they are referring to is the date of graduation from your university. It is not the date you finish your PYP or 1 year of relevant employment.
I called the ACS and confirmed this.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Oh really, that's interesting. My understanding was different:

TheDude

Timeline missing
Oh really, that's interesting. My understanding was different:
Yeah, that was how I had interpreted it as well. But apparently an exception is made for Aussie degrees as I later found out when I read the following:
The skill level requirement date for the Post Australian Study pathway will be noted as the completion date of the relevant Australian degree. Suitable employment completed after the completion date of the relevant Australian degree will be eligible for points under the skilled migration points test.

U

Universe2021

Yeah, that was how I had interpreted it as well. But apparently an exception is made for Aussie degrees as I later found out when I read the following:
I checked with acs and they advised me that - completion date can either be the graduation date or “the date of your last exam prior to graduating” - whatever suits your case.

However in both cases- you should be able to provide some evidence.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.