Detailed Process for Canada PR for Indian Applicants

Rajat Mahajan

Timeline missing
Require Detailed process for documentation for Canada PR

Dear All

I wanted to understand two documentation requirements for Canada PR

1. Letter of Reference from previous and current employers -
Is this a character certificate ? What is the format of this please. Also it will be tough to obtain this from my current employer manager as I am still serving the company and do not want to disclose my application. Is this mandatory to do?

2. Work Experience Summary-
What is the format of this ? Again , if in case I am not able to get the exact format can I give a notarized legal document by a colleague in my firm for this ? (Just like for Australia) Also, this again is a challenge in terms of getting from current employer.

Could you please advise me on the above stated points.

Thanks
Rajat

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
1. Almost in all of the cases, "Letter of reference" means a letter from your employer certifying that you were their employee and details your job responsibility, and I don't think Canada is any difference here. If you claimed any points against your work experience, you have to prove it (otherwise everyone will claim points for experience, no matter they really had it or not).

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Like I said:

CIC said:
Proof of work experience
Purpose
To prove each work experience claim and to validate that the applicant meets program requirements

The following documents are mandatory for each work experience declared:
  • a reference or experience letter from the employer, which
    • should be an official document printed on company letterhead (must include the applicant’s name, the company’s contact information [address, telephone number and email address], and the name, title and signature of the immediate supervisor or personnel officer at the company),
    • should indicate all positions held while employed at the company and must include the following details: job title, duties and responsibilities, job status (if current job), dates worked for the company, number of work hours per week and annual salary plus benefits; and
  • if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
If the work experience is in Canada, proof may include copies of T4 tax information slips and notices of assessment issued by the Canada Revenue Agency (the time period for these documents should reflect the work experience timeframe [e.g., work experience from 2006 to 2008 requires only documents from those calendar years]).

Individuals who must submit this documentation

• The principal applicant
  • Their spouse or common-law partner (if work experience in Canada is claimed)

R

RajatMahajan

1. Almost in all of the cases, "Letter of reference" means a letter from your employer certifying that you were their employee and details your job responsibility, and I don't think Canada is any difference here. If you claimed any points against your work experience, you have to prove it (otherwise everyone will claim points for experience, no matter they really had it or not).

Thanks a lot for your reply

Just wanted to know that companies sometimes give a different format and are very rigid not to give the exact format. . Could you please also let me know where I can find the format of work experience summary and letter of reference

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You don't need to follow any specific format, just make sure you covered all the criteria mentioned in my previous post.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.