Info English language competency level for Australian Immigration

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
D

Daniel Serra

Hi, I am from Barcelona - Spain, and applying for 407 VISA. They require functional english, with an english test done within 12 months of the application. My IELTS was done in Jan-2018 (less than 2 years ago), however I got a proficient grade (>7 in each test and overall 8.0). As it is proficient and less than 2 years it should be ok? Or would I need to repeat it just to get functional 4.5 … ?

Many thanks

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Theoretically, you are thinking in the correct way, any score on or above competent should have 3 years validity. However, some COs (not all) argue that for the secondary applicant, it's always 12 months. DHA also changed some wordings recently, so you have to wait what your CO demands.

Rohit saini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Your English language competency level is determined by the highest level you obtained from below cases.
  • If you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country, you automatically qualified of having competent English.
  • You already have functional English if you meet any of thebelow criteria
    • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English, OR
    • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
On top of the above, you can always improve your English language competency level by appearing any of the tests below. The criteria mentioned for each test are minimum score required. Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old.

For CAE, you must appear on or after 1 January 2015. You always achieve the highest skill criteria you met.

English Proficiency LevelIELTSTOEFL iBTPTECAEOET
Superior English8 in each sectionL-28, R-29, W-30, S-2679 in each section200 in each sectionA' in each section
Proficient English7 in each sectionL-24, R-24, W-27, S-2365 in each section185 in each sectionB' in each section
Competent English6 in each sectionL-12, R-13, W-21, S-1850 in each section169 in each section-
Vocational English5 in each sectionL-4, R-4, W-14, S-1436 in each section154 in each section-
Functional EnglishAverage band score of 4.5Total band score of 32Overall band score of 30 Overall band score of 147 -

IELTS: International English Language Testing System
TOEFL iBT: Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test
OET: Occupational English Test
PTE: Pearson Test of English
CAE: Cambridge English: Advanced

For TOEFL iBT,
L: Lsitening
R: Reading
W: Writing
S: Speaking
Hi sir.
My spouse is having 8 years of work experience as home private science tutor along with master degree is science.Can you suggest me dat how much score she need to get in ielts?

Rohit saini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Your English language competency level is determined by the highest level you obtained from below cases.
  • If you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country, you automatically qualified of having competent English.
    • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English, OR
    • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
On top of the above, you can always improve your English language competency level by appearing any of the tests below. The criteria mentioned for each test are minimum score required. Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old.

For CAE, you must appear on or after 1 January 2015. You always achieve the highest skill criteria you met.

Superior English8 in each sectionL-28, R-29, W-30, S-2679 in each section200 in each sectionA' in each section
Proficient English7 in each sectionL-24, R-24, W-27, S-2365 in each section185 in each sectionB' in each section
Competent English6 in each sectionL-12, R-13, W-21, S-1850 in each section169 in each section-
Vocational English5 in each sectionL-4, R-4, W-14, S-1436 in each section154 in each section-
Functional EnglishAverage band score of 4.5Total band score of 32Overall band score of 30 Overall band score of 147 -

For TOEFL iBT,
Helo sir
One thing morr i wish to know dat i shall be applying in visa subclause 491 as

For TOEFL iBT,
Hi sir
I wish to know that i shall be applying visa clause 491 nd for this if i need to know dat hoe much score in ielts i need for claiming 5 points?

GeloPitt

Wanderer
Timeline missing

For TOEFL iBT,
If I will go with the "primary and secondary education" with English as medium of instructions, what documents do I need to provide?

littlejohn

Regular
MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02
If I will go with the "primary and secondary education" with English as medium of instructions, what documents do I need to provide?
If this is for secondary applicant, then the department will consider medium of study after secondary education which should be atleast 3 years study in English medium. Then you will no longer required to sit for any English language test for functional English requirement.

MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02

Itsavi76

Commoner
MSA
2019-09-16
Skill
SC
190 NSW
Point
75 and 80
EOI
2019-09-20
Nom.
2019-11-08
Inv.
2019-10-24
App.
2019-12-24
PCC
2019-11-20
HC
2020-01-15
Grant
2020-11-25
Hi,
I have not got an invite yet. In the 2 december rounds, I guess no invite was sent to business analysts. In 22nd nov round, last eoi date of effect was 9th aug. I was expecting it in 6th dec round, but didnt receive it even today. It is really frustrating..
Hi Prasad,

have you got a grant yet in business analyst occupation ?

MSA
2019-09-16
Skill
SC
190 NSW
Point
75 and 80
EOI
2019-09-20
Nom.
2019-11-08
Inv.
2019-10-24
App.
2019-12-24
PCC
2019-11-20
HC
2020-01-15
Grant
2020-11-25
If this is for secondary applicant, then the department will consider medium of study after secondary education which should be atleast 3 years study in English medium. Then you will no longer required to sit for any English language test for functional English requirement.
Yes it is for secondary applicant. His highest attainment is Highschool graduate.He has 6 years in Primary and 4 years in Secondary (High School) as this the set up in the Philippines. If I can provide proof of English as a medium of Instruction in both Primary and Secondary, will it be enough?

littlejohn

Regular
MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02
Yes it is for secondary applicant. His highest attainment is Highschool graduate.He has 6 years in Primary and 4 years in Secondary (High School) as this the set up in the Philippines. If I can provide proof of English as a medium of Instruction in both Primary and Secondary, will it be enough?
No... This is not enough. You need to show his education in English medium with 12+3 years of study atleast. So 12 years is for Primary and secondary school and 3 years for Graduation all these years should be in English Medium.

MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.