Guide Expression of Interest (EOI): step by step guide (Subclass 189)

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I have seen many people having problems with different fields when submitting their EOI. So, I have decided to write down and discuss step by step procedures for submitting EOI in SubClass 189. Feel free to notify about any necessary change in any portion of this tutorial.

1. Personal details:
a. Passport details: Pretty much self-explanatory. Just make absolute sure that you put all information exactly same as your passport.
b. Citizenship:
i. Is the client a citizen of the country of passport? - Answer is Yes for most of the time. This asks you whether you are a citizen of the country of Passport you are carrying. This is majorly a question for formality. However, there are history of some cases where passports are not linked with citizenship. For some example, you can check statelessness and Nansen passport.
ii. Is the client a citizen of any other country? - Yes if you have dual citizenship (you are a citizen of more than one countries), No otherwise.​
c. Other passports:
i. Does the client have other current passports? - Yes if you carry more than one current passport (expired/replaced passports does not count), No otherwise.
ii. Usual country of residence - The country you are usually living. If you have residency of any country other than your home country, put that country name. But if you, for example, in other country for tourism or any short tour, you should not put that country, rather put your home country (or any other country where you have residency/long term stay).
iii. Relationship status - Self explanatory​
2. Selected visa types: Skilled - Independent (Subclass 189) (Permanent)
3. Family members:

a. Are there any family members the client would like to include in a future application? - If you want to include your wife/partner/children/dependents (in line with immigration rules), put Yes, otherwise No. They will not required to submit separate application, also they don't have to fullfill so many criteria like you.
b. How many family members? - How many of family members you want to include.
c. Would the client be accompanied by the client's partner in a future application? - Yesif you want to include your partner in your visa application, No otherwise.​
4. English language: All the fields are self explanatory. All the information you put here should be copied from you test result sheet with perfection.
5. Education:

a. Does the client meet the Australian study requirements for the Skilled Migration points test? - If you have specific degree from Australian university (details here), you can claim 10 points for that. In that case, put Yes, otherwise No.
b. Credentialled community language:
i. Has the client obtained credentialled community language qualifications? - You can claim extra 5 points by appearing in NAATI exam for any of the listed non-english languages (details here). If you have met that criteria, put Yes, else No.​
c. Education History
i. Has the client completed, or is currently enrolled in any studies at secondary level and above? - You can claim 10 to 20 points based on your education level. If you want to claim any points for that, put Yes, otherwise no. However, you have to give complete history of your education starting from secondary level till highest. During putting details about secondary level education, there is a field Qualification which you need to be little careful. If you sent your secondary certificates to your assessing authority and assessed by them, then put Other qualification or award recognised by assessing authority, else you can put Other. Qualification Name is the name of your degree and Course Name you can put your department/major name. Rest fields are pretty simple.​
6. Skills assessment: For most of the occupations, you need to assess your degree and experience from corresponding body (for example, if you are an electrical engineer, you have to send your CDR (Competency Demonstration Record) to Engineers Australia for assessment. In this section, you have to put the records for your assessment.
a. Nominated occupation: The occupation you are applying for (you can find a list here).
b. Does the client have a suitable skills assessment from the relevant assessing authority? - Yes most of the time, if you have assessed your degrees/experience. Be sure to check the detail requirements for your occupation group.
c. Name of assessing authority - The authority that assessed your occupation (e.g. Engineers Australia, ACS etc.)
d. Date of skills assessment: When you received your positive assessment result.
e. Reference number/receipt number: Reference number provided by your assessing authority (for example, in case of Engineers Australia, they called it CID).​
7. Partner assessment skills - points based skilled migration visa:
a. Is the client claiming points for their partner's skills? - You can claim 5 extra points if your partner qualifies for certain points. In that case put Yes.​
8. Employment: You have to provide last 10 years history of your experience.
9. Professional Year:

a. Has the client completed a gazetted professional year in Australia in the last 48 months? - Whether you have completed a gazetted professional year in Australia in the last 48 months.​
10. Declarations: Make sure you abide by all the points and then put all Yes.

sandeep

Timeline missing
Hi,

Thanks for such a clean post, which would be helping many like me. Your post has been a reference guide for me and I am successful in filling almost 75% of the EOI and having doubts about 25%, which I would like to get it clarified from you.

My details: I have 65 points (7 band IELTS + ACS recognized 5 years experience + 31 years of current age + AQF Bachelor degree with Major in computing).

Question 1: I wanted to apply for Independent category, but CAN I or SHOULD I apply for multiple visa types? Can you please explain as much as possible on this. I have doubts like the following: Should I select employee sponsored only if I already have a job offer? or is it something like, a way to express my desire for an employer to sponsor me? Secondly, If I select both Independent and State/Territory/Regional and if I get an invitation from State/Territory/Regional can I ignore them and go ahead with Independent. Basically how does this whole thing work?

Question 2:
1) Family members: Are they any family members the client would like to include in a future application? Yes (I want to take my wife and infant son)
2) How many family members? 2 (assuming wife + son = 2)
3) Would the client be accompanied by the client's partner in a future application? Yes (assuming wife will travel along with me)
Are my above answers correct?
How can my include my father, mother and unmarried sister?

Question 3:
1) Regarding educational qualifications, I assume I will have to enter details from secondary education till highest degree. I have studied subjects like Maths, Science, Social, English and a regional language. So what should I write in the field "Course name"?
2) What should I write for "Campus"? Is the name of the City/place where I did the course?
3) I have in my certificates only month and year of starting and completing, so how do I take care of day in dd/mm/yyyy?
4) Does secondary level mean 10th standard or it includes 8th, 9th and 10th? Because I have a certificate from government only for 10th standard.
5) I have done my highest degree as "Bachelors in Computer Science and Engineering" and ACS has classified it as AQF Bachelor degree with Major in computing. So should I call the category of degree as "Others" or consider it as "Science"?

Question 4: Skill assessment: Nominated occupation?
ACS has approved me for "261313 (Software Engineer ) of ANZSCO Code". So what exactly should I write, only the code or only name or code + name.

Question 5: Regarding employment details, I am planning to be safe by writing only those details what ACS has approved. But ACS has sent the result sheet on August 31st 2013 and said the relevant experience can be considered after October 2007 . Should I write October 2007 till August 2013 or October 2007 till date? There by showing continuing experience? And how can I prove it?

Most important: In case if my EOI is accepted and I get an invitation and if I pass the visa criteria + police clearance + medicals, I understand I need to land in Australia within 6 months from the date of visa invitation letter. But how long MUST I stay in Australia before I can come back to my home country. Reason being, I am planning to just get the visa, but migrate later. I do not want to quit from my current job.

I know the list of questions is huge, but I am sure many would be benefited if you answer all my questions.

Thanks and Best Regards,
-Sandeep

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sandeep,

First of all our sincere apology for being offline in recent times. We were under a massive attack of spammers which hampered our regular service.

Anyway, I guess you already have submitted your EOI, nevertheless here are the answers to your questions:

Question 1: I wanted to apply for Independent category, but CAN I or SHOULD I apply for multiple visa types? Can you please explain as much as possible on this. I have doubts like the following: Should I select employee sponsored only if I already have a job offer? or is it something like, a way to express my desire for an employer to sponsor me? Secondly, If I select both Independent and State/Territory/Regional and if I get an invitation from State/Territory/Regional can I ignore them and go ahead with Independent. Basically how does this whole thing work?
Employer sponsored visa is only applicable for those who has a valid sponsorship in hand. So, it's not your desire, rather you have to have a sponsorship offer from an employer. Regarding 2nd part, you can apply for both, however, do NOT accept both invitations in case you receive both. Just ignore the one you don't want to continue with, the invitation will expire itself in two months. Emphasizing again, do NOT accept multiple invitations, which will cause you lots of trouble, with a probable ban of multiple years.

Question 2:
1) Family members: Are they any family members the client would like to include in a future application? Yes (I want to take my wife and infant son)
2) How many family members? 2 (assuming wife + son = 2)
3) Would the client be accompanied by the client's partner in a future application? Yes (assuming wife will travel along with me)
Are my above answers correct?
How can my include my father, mother and unmarried sister?
Your answers are correct. To include your parents and sister, you have to go through some processes. The main thing is, you have to prove that they are totally depending on you. And ofcourse you have to change your answers accordingly in case you want to include them.

Question 3:
1) Regarding educational qualifications, I assume I will have to enter details from secondary education till highest degree. I have studied subjects like Maths, Science, Social, English and a regional language. So what should I write in the field "Course name"?
2) What should I write for "Campus"? Is the name of the City/place where I did the course?
3) I have in my certificates only month and year of starting and completing, so how do I take care of day in dd/mm/yyyy?
4) Does secondary level mean 10th standard or it includes 8th, 9th and 10th? Because I have a certificate from government only for 10th standard.
5) I have done my highest degree as "Bachelors in Computer Science and Engineering" and ACS has classified it as AQF Bachelor degree with Major in computing. So should I call the category of degree as "Others" or consider it as "Science"?
1) Your course name should be your major name, e.g. Compute Science & Engineering (the name of the major that you obtained your degree on)
2) Yes, you can just right the campus name (city name)
3) Just put some approximate date.
4) The final examination of 10th and 12th standard, nothing else
5) Should be "Other qualification or award recognized by assessing authority"

Question 4: Skill assessment: Nominated occupation?
ACS has approved me for "261313 (Software Engineer ) of ANZSCO Code". So what exactly should I write, only the code or only name or code + name.
Software Engineer - 261313 (should come automatically if I remember correctly)

Question 5: Regarding employment details, I am planning to be safe by writing only those details what ACS has approved. But ACS has sent the result sheet on August 31st 2013 and said the relevant experience can be considered after October 2007 . Should I write October 2007 till August 2013 or October 2007 till date? There by showing continuing experience? And how can I prove it?
You should put current date. You can prove it by experience certificate/payslips if you want. But in any case, you just need to prove 5 years which you have any way.

Most important: In case if my EOI is accepted and I get an invitation and if I pass the visa criteria + police clearance + medicals, I understand I need to land in Australia within 6 months from the date of visa invitation letter. But how long MUST I stay in Australia before I can come back to my home country. Reason being, I am planning to just get the visa, but migrate later. I do not want to quit from my current job.
After you get your Visa granted, you will be given a specific time line to give your first entry. This varies person to person (based on police clearance/medical validity), the highest I have seen is 1 year and lowest I have seen is 1 week (yaa, you read it right). For that, you just need to enter Australia once during that period (that is pass immigration) and then can come back from the airport if you want. But I advice to stay there for couple of days at least and do the basic things (bank account, medicare, TFN), for this we have a separate thread you can read.

Good luck with your application and once again our apology for delay.

sgToAus

Timeline missing
Hi

I am filing my EOI - I have a doubt on Page 7 - while putting in Education History.

FYI - I have done my education from India - 10th standard, 12th Standard and than Engineering

In the form it says -

Has the client completed, or is currently enrolled in any studies at secondary level and above? - My answer is Yes

While adding the Qualifications -

- What all should i add?
- Should I add 10th and 12th details like course taken up for eq. Biology, Maths, Physics etc? If yes, under what qualification - what should i select in the drop down.
- For selecting for my degree - I have chosen "Other Qualification accessed by the Accessing Authority" - I hope this is correct - I had referred to other posts in the forum for this.

Please advise on this.

Appreciate your help in advance.

Thanks
Deep

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Deep,

As mentioned, you have to list down all the degrees you have earned from secondary level, which means 10th standard. So to answer your question:

- You should add one entry for 10th standard, one for 12th standard (if you had separate national/board exam for them), then you should add any further education history (Bachelor, Masters etc.)

- For 10th & 12th Standard,
  • Qualification is "Other qualification or award recognised by assessing authority" as you were supposedly send the 10th & 12th certification along with your documents when you applied for your assessment. If you didn't, just choose Other.
  • Qualification Name is the name of your national exam, e.g. Secondary/Higher Secondary Certificate etc.
  • Course name is the major your took, e.g. Science/Arts etc. No need to list individual subjects
- For higher degrees (Bachelor/Masters), Qualification should be listed. For example, for if you have done Bachelor in Science, you should choose "Bachelor Degree in Science, Business or Technology"

Hope this help, let me know if you have any other question.

Liz

Timeline missing
Hi

This is a really useful post! I am still a little confused on the education section. I am having my Bachelor of Engineering assessed as part of my skills assessment (expecting it back any day - so am drafting my EOI now) - my engineering degree is a Washington Accord accredited degree - so automatically is of an Australian standard (but Engineers Australia are validating this as part of the skills assessment). I presume I am OK to simply select Bachelor Degree (other) from the drop down list and complete the remaining information, as it is of Australian equivalent and will be assessed as such.

It is all of the other education I am worried about - I have Master of Science and a Postgraduate Diploma on top of my Bachelor Degree. I have so far put all of these down as 'Other - Non AQF accreditation" as I didn't send any of these to Engineers Australia, and I don't require the recognition of them for any points (as the Engineers Australia assessment of my BEng will be enough for my 15 points) but as you have noted - I should put all of the secondary education in anyway. First - Is this the right thing to do with Masters etc levels? Also - what do they mean by Secondary level or above? Is this after leaving school? I am from the UK - are A-Levels required to be denoted? I don't think I have records of these anymore - it has been nearly 20 years! Any advice warmly appreciated.

Thanks

Liz

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Liz,

Welcome to the forum. Please find below responses.

First - Is this the right thing to do with Masters etc levels?
Sounds perfect as you don't need points against your masters.

Also - what do they mean by Secondary level or above? Is this after leaving school? I am from the UK - are A-Levels required to be denoted?
I am not sure about UK, but in my region secondary means 10th standard. We have 2 public examination degrees (Secondary [end of 10th Standard] and Higher Secondary [end of 12th standard]) before our Bachelor degree. In some UK standard schools in this region, I have seen O-Level and A-Level are considered equivalent to those. If you have similar thing, should be the same.

I don't think I have records of these anymore - it has been nearly 20 years! Any advice warmly appreciated.
Logically, secondary degree certificates should be just for formality if you submit tertiary certificate (nobody will have tertiary degree without completing secondary). So, like I mentioned in original post, no matter you sent them to Eng. Aus, you should list them in your educational history. This is just the beginning, they will ask for last 30 years study details with school address as well as your home address in later stage :) .

Liz

Timeline missing
Thanks for such a quick reply. Really appreciated - now completing with confidence - and asking for help back home in the UK for digging out those dusty GCSEs and A-levels.... luckily they don't ask for the grade, just the qualification - and I can remember the subjects!

Much appreciated.

Liz

Kamy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi All,

Seems like it is an old thread but I stumbled across this as this is very important point which is nowhere explained.

I got ACS assessement favourable to my ANZSCO from Aug 2004 till April 2015. However my skilled met date is after April 2007 which means from May 2007 onwards I can claim employment for points which is 8 years and all the work before May 2007 is used to adjust against my Degree evaluation to make it part with AQF degree
But when I got to EOI website, I do not see where I can distinguish my employment based on employment met date vs what was used against my international degree adjustment. Can you help me what is the right way of mentioning it in EOI although to me even if I mention complete approximately 11 years employment history I will get 15 points or I mention after April 2007. So the point here is my job is continuous in the company.

Regards
Kamy

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

If you read the instruction on Employment page of EOI, it is written as below. Just pay attention to the lines I marked bold.

IMPORTANT: Clients who have an opinion on their skilled employment from the relevant assessing authority should enter employment periods as specified on the letter from the assessing authority.

Where the relevant assessing authority does not provide an opinion on skilled employment and there are no standards set by the relevant assessing authority available on their website, clients need to provide evidence of employment experience after the date they completed qualifications and necessary skilled employment as per the Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations.

Kamy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Below is what I have on my ACS letter

The following employment after April 2007 is considered to equate to work at an appropriately skilled
level and relevant to 261111 (ICT Business Analyst) of the ANZSCO Code.

1st Employement : 06/04 - 06/06 (2 years)
2nd Employment: 07/06-07/10(4 years 1 month)
3rd Employment: 08/10-0415(4 years 9 months)

All of my above employment is marked as relevant to 261111 (ICT Business Analyst)

So basically, if I go with the highlighted statement you have provided. I should show my employment as below which is not what is on my experience letter and would represent less information than what is on my experience letter

2nd Employment: 05/07-07/10
3rd Employment: 08/10-04/15

Kindly advise

Regards
Kamy

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kamy,

It seems like so (should provide from May 2007). However, this 2 yrs exclusion policy has always created lots of confusions among the applicants. If you require to show more experience to increase your point, you can ask ACS to be sure whether you can put experience prior to April 2007 in your application (which is unlikely, as far as I know, ACS exclude first 2 yrs for all applicants).

However, if you don't need those two yrs (you can see the minimum points' trend in our SkillSelect result forum), I advise not to put those anyway. Because if you put extra yrs (with 5 extra points) and get invitation, later you find out you shouldn't have put those 2 yrs, it will be a disaster as your EOI will be considered based on false claim. But if you exclude those 2 years from EOI, you can always mention that once your case office will be assigned (with CO, it is always one to one conversation, so you can give any further details or ask any question). So it is safer in my opinion. Also, you have to give your last 30 years history anyhow in the later stage of your application. So basically you are not hiding anything and also not gaining some unfair advantage which you can explain easily.

Having said that, please note that all the advice I give here (also have given outside the forum) are purely based on my experience and understanding. I am not a professional lawyer or immigration agent. Hence, though nobody has reported any misguidance so far, I cannot guarantee that I am giving your right advice. I can only offer my thoughts, rest is your decision.

Thanks and good luck :)

Kamy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Thanks so much Dear, it's always beneficial to have an opinion from an experienced person.

One additional question I have is regarding Visa 189 and Visa 190, I have 55 points as per EOI for 189 and 60 points for 190 (if I get nominated from NSW ). I am sure I am going to increase my score through repeat of IELTS test scheduled in first week of June because I appeared with no knowledge of test. However I'm little skeptical that 261111 may not feature in SOL list starting July 1. Is it fine to submit for 190 EOI, are there any negatives except that I would have to stay in the state for two years period. How do you feel about availability of 261111 in next financial year's list?

Regards
Kamy

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,

From here, Occupation 2611 (ICT Business and Systems Analysts) has ceiling of 1620 this year which has already been reached. So, two things I can understand
  1. It has good chance to continue next year as well, as it is unlikely that they will reduce from 1600+ to 0 (may be decrease to below 500 first). Also as far as I know, there are still job opportunities in Aus in this category, which is another reason they might not just discontinue this.
  2. Even if they discontinue, what advantage are you expecting by submitting right now? As the ceiling has already been reached, you (or anybody) are not going to get any invitation this year. And if it discontinues next year, then you are not going to get that next year either. So, only advantage I can think of submitting right now is to put your EOI on higher ladder in the pool based on submission date, only if it continues next year.
Nevertheless, you can submit it right now if you can meet 60 level. As you might know, you can update your EOI anytime in future (though the date of update will be considered when ranking your EOI) if you improve your score. In the meantime, if you get an invitation, you are all set.

Regarding 190, there is no other disadvantage at all. Also the limitation of 2 years is not a very strict one. If you manage some job in other state, most probably (out of caution I am not using the word "certainly") they are not going to stop you for that rule. And if you can get sponsorship of NSW, then most probably you won't need to go out of state anyway.

Cheers,

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Sunil,
1. As the phrases suggest, "Amend Details" button to be used when you want to update your EIO, e.g. change any part of it. Once you done with filling up all the infor correctly, you should press submit which means your EOI has been submitted to the authority and you have to proof all the claims you made in the EOI if you get an invitation based on that EOI. So, press "Submit" only when you are sure to fill up and complete all the required information correctly. To edit/update, use "Amend Details" button.

2. What does IMGuide.pdf actually contains? Not aware of that. All useful documents are available in immi.gov.au website.

Thanks,

This is a long thread with lots of replies. For better visibility and response, consider posting in a new thread unless your topic is closely related to the subject of this thread.
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.