Extend Initial Entry Date

na007

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I want to know one thing, the visa said i have to land in 10 months, can this period be extended, i mean my landing, can it be delayed? if yes then how and by how much.

A bunch of thanks for your guidance and advice

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Following is a reply from DIBP when someone tried to extend his ~10 days (you read it right, 10 days) timeframe for initial entry. So you should feel lucky that you have ample amount of time.

DIBP said:
The Initial Entry Date (IED) cannot be changed or extended once visa is granted.

Each visa granted must follow below condition:

The holder must enter Australia before the date specified.

Visa holders are expected to comply with visa conditions and failure to comply with a visa condition may render the visa liable for cancellation under Section 116 (1) (b) of the Migration Act (1958). As a matter of policy migrant visas will be cancelled where the visa holder breaches the initial entry condition, unless exceptional and compelling reasons have prevented them from complying with the condition.

You are strongly encouraged to travel within specific time. If you do not, your visas will be subject to cancellation consideration. Any further action in regard to this can only take place after the IED has passed, as prior to this there has been no breach of the visa condition.

If you will not be able to travel to Australia before the IED specified on your visa, send an email to <email address> after the IED has passed and include documentation which supports your exceptional and compelling reasons for breaching visa condition 8504 (initial entry).

Note: if a person tries to enter Australia in breach of a visa condition they may be refused entry.

King Mo

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Following is a reply from DIBP when someone tries to extend his 10 days (you read it right, 10 days) timeframe for initial entry. So you should feel lucky that you have ample amount of time.
Good morning MysticRiver,
I am the main applicant and my fiance is the secondary applicant who received her visa based on my application. In terms of landing and the process which has to be done, Should we both comply with the date which has been specified in the visa and land there, or just me, the main applicant, have to arrive before that date there and do the process?
Also, do you have the information on what should be done as you arrive? ( I mean what official process would take place in terms of your visa and other things )

Many many thanks.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Good morning MysticRiver,
I am the main applicant and my fiance is the secondary applicant who received her visa based on my application. In terms of landing and the process which has to be done, Should we both comply with the date which has been specified in the visa and land there, or just me, the main applicant, have to arrive before that date there and do the process?
Also, do you have the information on what should be done as you arrive? ( I mean what official process would take place in terms of your visa and other things )

Many many thanks.
Both of you have to enter Aus before the mentioned date.

Nothing special will happen once you arrive. Once you pass the immigration, your name will be entered in their database and you first entry criteria will be fulfilled (if you are curious, you can check your status in VEVO which will be changed to onshore once you enter Australia).

Also there is nothing that you must do (e.g. if you don't do, your Visa will be at stake). But a normal practice is to get your Medicare card, a bank account within first few days. Then you can apply for driving license at the earliest as that will be your primary identity for everything as long as you live in Australia.

na007

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi MysticRiver

I hope you are doing well.

My last date of first entry to Australia is approaching, but due to certain domestic reasons I cannot give my first landing. I need atleast 3 4 months to do so.

What is the process of getting the landing date extended? Is there any form for it? And do they require any supporting documents? My Parents are not well here and I am proposing marriage. So there could be no documentation for this. I would like an advice here.

Also, if I send the CO an email regarding the extension in the landing date, would it have any affect on the visa? Like will they consider cancellation?

Because I want to try, because at worst case, ill have to go for a couple of days just to deliver my landing, but that is just waste of money going for a couple of days.

Kindly advise me as there is less than a month left before my landing date expires.

Thanks and Regards

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I think second post of this thread is pretty clear about DIBP's position on this matter. You can still send an email to check if the ruling has changed or not.

na007

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Below is a reply from DIBP when requested for an extension. You can check with DIBP as well, if there is any change in the ruling.

This is true. But one of my folks they got their landing date extended. They said that their children's exams are due and they will land once they are done with their exams. The CO gave me another 6 months.

But what i am worried about is the visa being cancelled on CO hearing that I want extension. Although the extension does not hurt anyone and i just want a little extension. even a month or 2 will do.

What are the chances of the visa being cancelled if i write them am email request?

Lastly, i can go for landing, but again it would cost a lot as it would be just landing and coming back.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
But one of my folks they got their landing date extended
That's why I said you can ask. the response I quote is few years old and there might be a change in their ruling.

But what i am worried about is the visa being cancelled on CO hearing that I want extension
I am pretty much sure, they will never do that. At best they will reject your request for extension.

What are the chances of the visa being cancelled if i write them am email request?
I'd say zero percent.

Neel

Wanderer
MSA
2016-06-17
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-12-15
Grant
2017-11-06
Hi I had some doubt, i got my Visa on 6th Nov and my first date of entry is on 26th Dec exactly 1 month 20 days later. Now the situation is that my wife is pregnant and not recommended to travel and is expected to deliver by end of Feb or early March. What is the process to get the first date of entry extended.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member

Neel

Wanderer
MSA
2016-06-17
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-12-15
Grant
2017-11-06

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member

Neel

Wanderer
MSA
2016-06-17
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-12-15
Grant
2017-11-06

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi I had some doubt, i got my Visa on 6th Nov and my first date of entry is on 26th Dec exactly 1 month 20 days later. Now the situation is that my wife is pregnant and not recommended to travel and is expected to deliver by end of Feb or early March. What is the process to get the first date of entry extended.
Dear
Have u applied for IED extention. I also had the similar case of wife ezpacting and i got extention in 3 days. So dont delay and submit a written request with supporting docs.
Regards

Neel

Wanderer
MSA
2016-06-17
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-12-15
Grant
2017-11-06
Dear
Have u applied for IED extention. I also had the similar case of wife ezpacting and i got extention in 3 days. So dont delay and submit a written request with supporting docs.
Regards

Hey @Umair Maroof

Finally i got the reply from the Skilled Support, you can refer to my complete details on

https://www.migrationdesk.com/threads/process-to-extend-i-e-d.43050/page-2#post-62051

However i wanted to ask you did you also get any clause like :
Children born outside of Australia
Please be aware that for a child born outside of Australia (where neither parent is an Australian citizen) you will need to apply for and be granted a visa for that child prior to your travel to Australia. For more information about applicable visas please refer to the department’s website.

I really dont understand this clause does this mean.

1. I cannot travel till the child is granted visa.
2. I need to apply for Visa for the child born.
3. I can travel once i have applied for the visa for child.

Hey @Umair Maroof

Finally i got the reply from the Skilled Support, you can refer to my complete details on

https://www.migrationdesk.com/threads/process-to-extend-i-e-d.43050/page-2#post-62051

However i wanted to ask you did you also get any clause like :
Children born outside of Australia
Please be aware that for a child born outside of Australia (where neither parent is an Australian citizen) you will need to apply for and be granted a visa for that child prior to your travel to Australia. For more information about applicable visas please refer to the department’s website.

I really dont understand this clause does this mean.

1. I cannot travel till the child is granted visa.
2. I need to apply for Visa for the child born.
3. I can travel once i have applied for the visa for child.

Can someone help me and share the email id to which I should send the email for extension of IED?

Hi, I need this same advice too. I am emailing them and gsm brisbane, adleaide and gsm business but no one has responded. My first email was on 10th Feb. How long do they take to respond. Also, @Neel did you face any problem when traveling with facilitation letter.
We have 2months to travel and my wife is pregnant - high risk and due date is 5 days before initial entry date.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.