• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

ACS How many years of experience for skills assessment?

Hi, I am looking to apply for a skills assessment and I am slightly confused.

In the assessment guidelines it states “If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major and is closely related to your nomination occupation, you will require 2 years work experience completed within the last 10 years”

While under the occupation on the skills list it states I must have 3 years experience in the occupation.

My question is do I need 2 years for a successful skills assessment or 3?

Thanks

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Those are two separate things:

“If your degree is assessed as having an ICT major and is closely related to your nomination occupation, you will require 2 years work experience completed within the last 10 years”
This is a common statement, ACS will deduct 2 years experience from your last 10 years' experience (or 4 years from total experience) in or der to, what ACS calls, meet Suitability Criteria. That is common for all occupations (when your degree meet the above mentioned criteria).

While under the occupation on the skills list it states I must have 3 years experience in the occupation.
That must be special criteria for your certain occupation, and has nothing to do with your degree.

So, for your case, you must meet both the criteria (if the 2nd one covers the 1st, good).

This is a common statement, ACS will deduct 2 years experience from your last 10 years' experience (or 4 years from total experience) in or der to, what ACS calls, meet Suitability Criteria. That is common for all occupations (when your degree meet the above mentioned criteria).

That must be special criteria for your certain occupation, and has nothing to do with your degree.

So, for your case, you must meet both the criteria (if the 2nd one covers the 1st, good).
Ok thanks. I have 2 and half years experience. So basically I’ll need another 6 months experience before I’ll be able to get a successful skills assessment? Thanks

Also I forgot to add. I completed a 1 year paid work experience before I was qualified, as part of my university degree. I know this will not count towards points, but could I use this 1 year experience and the further 2 and half years post qualification, for a total of 3 and a half years, to gain a successful skills assessment? As my requirement is 3 years experience.

thanks

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.