• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Guide How to apply for immigration in Australia

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Step 1: Evaluate yourself
First of all, you need to check whether you occupation is in the Skilled Occupation List that Australian Immigration authority publishes every year on July 1 for next 1 year. During that time they will only consider listed occupations for immigration.

If you have your occupation in the list, then you need to have at least 65 points to be qualified for the application. Points are awarded based on your age, experience, education, English proficiency and some other factors. Click here to check how much points you can earn. If you are short of points, check how you can improve. There are some factors which is not in your hand (e.g. Age), but there are some factors where you can increase your point in near future.

Step 1a: Increase your point
If your point is below 65, there are several ways to improve it. Some of them are:
  • Improving IELTS score by retaking the exam
  • State sponsorship
  • Credential Community Language
  • If you are expecting to attain higher point bracket in experience/education/partner skill (e.g. you now have 4.5 years experience, so in 6 months time you will be eligible to claim 5 more points)
Step 2: Assess yourself by the authority
If you already have OR you are expecting to have minimum 65 points in near future, don't waste your time by waiting for completion of 60 points, rather start your assessment process right now. Remember, your points will be calculated several steps after this assessment, hence it is not important how much point you have during the assessment. Most of the times assessments requires 1 to 4 months or even more, so don't delay for this. In case you are not familiar with assessment procedure, it is a process where you education and experience will be assessed by specific authorized body in Australia. Based on your occupation, you need to send your documents to specific body. For example, if you are an engineer, you need to send your documents to Engineers Australia. You can check which body should assess your degrees in this link.

Step 2a: Improve your points
After you send your documents for assessment, it will take 1 to 4 months depending on your assessment authority. In the mean time you should check the feasibility of increasing your point because Australian immigration is pooling based, means higher your point, better your chance is. From the result so far, it has been observed that even with lowest 60 points, you have at least 50% chances to got an invitation, but ofcourse it's always better to have as much points as possible. This is totally optional, and if you think it doesn't worth spending your time (or money) for that, or you are confident that you will get call with current point, you can skip this step. You can check here the trend of invitations to predict your chance of getting an invitation.

Step 3: State Sponsorship
If you want to avail 5 extra points by applying for state sponsorship (subclass 190), then you should go to their website and apply for sponsorship. Remember, subclass 190 (state sponsorship) requires you to spend initial 2 years in that specific state.

Step 3: Submit your Expression of Interest (EOI)
Once you receive your assessment, you have to submit your EOI here. Here you have to fill up your basic information. It will ask you about your education, age experience etc. - all the factors that determines your point. At the end of it, it will calculate your point automatically and put your name in the pool. Twice each month, they invite specific number of people from the pool based on points (starting from highest point in descending order). In case of same point, the ranking is determined by date of EOI submission. Hence it is important to submit your EOI sooner.

You can change your EOI anytime you want. So, you have the scope of increasing your points even after submitting your EOI. But if you change your EOI, your last update time will be considered as your EOI submission time.

It is also very important that you update your EOI in case any situation (that you claimed in your EOI) changes. The reason is, once you get invitation, your EOI will be locked and you can't change anything after that. Then in the next stage of visa processing, you have to proof all the claims you made in your EOI. Any failure to do that might cause you an automatic 2 years ban.

EOI is completely online, does not require any fee and you don't need to write any essay. It is just filling up your information. There is a step by step guide posted here to assist EOI submission.

Step 4: Lodge your application
Once you get your invitation, you will have 30 days time to lodge your application. You fill up all the information they wants and then pay the fee. Once your fee has been paid, you application will be considered as lodged.

After that in 2-5 weeks time, a case officer will be assigned who will ask for supporting documents to verify your claims. Once you submit all the documents, they will verify those and also check your security clearance before they finalize your application. At the final stage of your application, they will ask for your medical checkup (which has to be done by their authorized panel doctors) and police clearance (for all the countries where you lived at least 12 months cumulatively). In some cases, case officers ask medical and police clearance at the beginning with all other documents.

The whole process (after you lodged application takes 4 to 12 months, and it varies highly person to person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tania

Timeline missing
Step 1: Evaluate yourself
First of all, you need to check whether you occupation is in the Skilled Occupation List that Australian Immigration authority publishes every year on July 1 for next 1 year. During that time they will only consider listed occupations for immigration.

If you have your occupation in the list, then you need to have at least 65 points to be qualified for the application. Points are awarded based on your age, experience, education, English proficiency and some other factors. Click here to check how much points you can earn. If you are short of points, check how you can improve. There are some factors which is not in your hand (e.g. Age), but there are some factors where you can increase your point in near future.

Step 1a: Increase your point
If your point is below 65, there are several ways to improve it. Some of them are:
  • Improving IELTS score by retaking the exam
  • State sponsorship
  • Credential Community Language
  • If you are expecting to attain higher point bracket in experience/education/partner skill (e.g. you now have 4.5 years experience, so in 6 months time you will be eligible to claim 5 more points)
Step 2: Assess yourself by the authority
If you already have OR you are expecting to have minimum 65 points in near future, don't waste your time by waiting for completion of 60 points, rather start your assessment process right now. Remember, your points will be calculated several steps after this assessment, hence it is not important how much point you have during the assessment. Most of the times assessments requires 1 to 4 months or even more, so don't delay for this. In case you are not familiar with assessment procedure, it is a process where you education and experience will be assessed by specific authorized body in Australia. Based on your occupation, you need to send your documents to specific body. For example, if you are an engineer, you need to send your documents to Engineers Australia. You can check which body should assess your degrees in this link.

Step 2a: Improve your points
After you send your documents for assessment, it will take 1 to 4 months depending on your assessment authority. In the mean time you should check the feasibility of increasing your point because Australian immigration is pooling based, means higher your point, better your chance is. From the result so far, it has been observed that even with lowest 60 points, you have at least 50% chances to got an invitation, but ofcourse it's always better to have as much points as possible. This is totally optional, and if you think it doesn't worth spending your time (or money) for that, or you are confident that you will get call with current point, you can skip this step. You can check here the trend of invitations to predict your chance of getting an invitation.

Step 3: State Sponsorship
If you want to avail 5 extra points by applying for state sponsorship (subclass 190), then you should go to their website and apply for sponsorship. Remember, subclass 190 (state sponsorship) requires you to spend initial 2 years in that specific state.

Step 3: Submit your Expression of Interest (EOI)
Once you receive your assessment, you have to submit your EOI here. Here you have to fill up your basic information. It will ask you about your education, age experience etc. - all the factors that determines your point. At the end of it, it will calculate your point automatically and put your name in the pool. Twice each month, they invite specific number of people from the pool based on points (starting from highest point in descending order). In case of same point, the ranking is determined by date of EOI submission. Hence it is important to submit your EOI sooner.

You can change your EOI anytime you want. So, you have the scope of increasing your points even after submitting your EOI. But if you change your EOI, your last update time will be considered as your EOI submission time.

It is also very important that you update your EOI in case any situation (that you claimed in your EOI) changes. The reason is, once you get invitation, your EOI will be locked and you can't change anything after that. Then in the next stage of visa processing, you have to proof all the claims you made in your EOI. Any failure to do that might cause you an automatic 2 years ban.

EOI is completely online, does not require any fee and you don't need to write any essay. It is just filling up your information. There is a step by step guide posted here to assist EOI submission.

Step 4: Lodge your application
Once you get your invitation, you will have 30 days time to lodge your application. You fill up all the information they wants and then pay the fee. Once your fee has been paid, you application will be considered as lodged.

After that in 2-5 weeks time, a case officer will be assigned who will ask for supporting documents to verify your claims. Once you submit all the documents, they will verify those and also check your security clearance before they finalize your application. At the final stage of your application, they will ask for your medical checkup (which has to be done by their authorized panel doctors) and police clearance (for all the countries where you lived at least 12 months cumulatively). In some cases, case officers ask medical and police clearance at the beginning with all other documents.

The whole process (after you lodged application takes 4 to 12 months, and it varies highly person to person.
Thank you so much!

kc_muzik

Wanderer
MSA
2018-09-25
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2019-11-02
App.
2019-01-29
@MysticRiver how are you??

Had a few queries on visa lodging but wasn’t sure where to post it:

I’m looking to lodge NSW 190 by end of the year.

1) I already have an SA 489 visa. Do I need to create a new immi account or can I use the existing one?
2) Can I use the existing medicals (dated Mar 26 2019)?
3) Is it mandatory to upload the PCCs and medicals along with other docs? Or can I upload them separately a month later?

Thanks!!

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
1) I already have an SA 489 visa. Do I need to create a new immi account or can I use the existing one?
2) Can I use the existing medicals (dated Mar 26 2019)?
You can use Same
s it mandatory to upload the PCCs and medicals along with other docs? Or can I upload them separately a month later?
Later is also possible

Reactions: kc_muzik
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

hassan346

Timeline missing
Hi
I am going to apply for an immigration visa 189 and would be grateful if you could answer some of my queries. My current profile is:

-Bachelors of Engineering, Mechanical Engineering (Thammasat Uni, Thailand)
-Relevant Experience +3 years
-IELTS 8.5 (Academic, 7 in writing only)

1) While my IELTS is still valid, it will expire in Jan of 2021, and going by the current CDR processing time off 8-9 weeks. Will I have to re-take the test if I get the invitation after it has expired, or we can use the same IELTS regardless as it was valid when we submitted our EOI.
2) Currently, my points are 70. What are my chances of getting an invitation?
3) When do we have to submit the cost of AUD 4,045?
4) What is the amount we have to show in our bank balance?

Thanks in advance

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
While my IELTS is still valid, it will expire in Jan of 2021, and going by the current CDR processing time off 8-9 weeks. Will I have to re-take the test if I get the invitation after it has expired, or we can use the same IELTS regardless as it was valid when we submitted our EOI.
Scores should be valid at the time of invitation.
Currently, my points are 70. What are my chances of getting an invitation?
As per new point system, 70 points have very less chance of an invitation
When do we have to submit the cost of AUD 4,045?
After invitation, at the time of visa application
What is the amount we have to show in our bank balance?
for 189 - none, for 190/491 - depends on the state policy. Check their relevant websites

MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.