• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

How to request a change in visa condition - 8201 (max 3 months of study)


Timeline missing

I would like to ask a question regarding visa conditions and what to do to change them. I haven't found an answer in this regard on the forum and on the internet unfortunately.

I am currently residing in Australia as a partner (dependant) of a Student 500 holder (PhD student). So both of us are on Subclass 500-Student visa. My visa has a condition of 8201-Max 3 months study. I also decided to do my PhD and got awarded a PhD scholarship and admission offer from a university in Australia.

In this condition, in order to request DOHA to lift my 8201 visa condition, what should I do? Should I proceed with ''notification of changes in circumstances" by filling out this form ( https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/form-listing/forms/1022.pdf ), or should I make a new Student Visa-Subclass 500 application as an independent primary applicant?

Many thanks in advance for your time.


Staff member
Notification of changes in circumstances should not be applicable here, you either need exemption from 8201 (I am not sure if that's possible), or apply for a new independent visa.

I'd go for the latter (new independent visa), but probably a better idea would be to take counsel from your university.
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.