Is job offer mandatory for skilled migrant category visa for New zealand?

cenaprince2018

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi @MysticRiver

I am meeting the criteria for points required(current cutoff is 160 points) for skilled migrant visa of New Zealand as below:
1. Age - 30 points
2. Qualification(level 9) - 70 points
3. Work experience more than 10 years - 50 points
4. Work experience in absolute skill shortage - 15 points

So, in total, I am getting 165 points. For point 4, my skill job code is Software Engineer(261313), which falls under the long term skill shortage category.

So, do I require a job offer also for this visa?

Please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Hi @MysticRiver

I am meeting the criteria for points required(current cutoff is 160 points) for skilled migrant visa of New Zealand as below:
1. Age - 30 points

So, in total, I am getting 165 points. For point 4, my skill job code is Software Engineer(261313), which falls under the long term skill shortage category.

no, job offer is not a mandatory requirement if your points are equal to/greater than 160.
the people required Job offer if they have qualification/experience which don't give enough points to meet threshold of 160

Also, to claim points for short skills (software engineer in your case), you have to make an assessment from the concerned body. NZQA level 9 gives you only points for your qualification (Masters degree in your case), but it does not defines that you are a software engineer, only the their concerned body will do assessment and will accredite to claim points for short skills

cenaprince2018

Wanderer
Timeline missing
no, job offer is not a mandatory requirement if your points are equal to/greater than 160.
the people required Job offer if they have qualification/experience which don't give enough points to meet threshold of 160
Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Actually, I also called the customer care of immigration department after making this post. They told me that if you get the points above cut off without job offer, then in that case, they would give a skilled migrant job search visa, which is valid for 9 months. I need to find a job within that period, then inform them and then they finally grant me skilled resident visa.

Actually, I got into doubt when I found the following content while filing my EOI, at the bottom of the first page of the online form of EOI. They have not mentioned it anywhere else outside in the main website.

"Please note in order to be granted residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, you must be awarded points for skilled employment in New Zealand, or have a Doctorate or Master's degree gained in New Zealand.

If you do not have skilled employment in New Zealand or a New Zealand Doctorate or Master's degree, but you otherwise meet the Skilled Migrant Category requirements, you will be able to apply for a Skilled Migrant Category Job Search visa. This visa is granted for the purpose of obtaining skilled employment in New Zealand. If this temporary work visa is granted, the decision on your residence will be deferred. If you obtain skilled employment during the deferral period your residence application may be approved. If you do not obtain skilled employment during the deferral period your residence application will be declined."

cenaprince2018

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Also, to claim points for short skills (software engineer in your case), you have to make an assessment from the concerned body. NZQA level 9 gives you only points for your qualification (Masters degree in your case), but it does not defines that you are a software engineer, only the their concerned body will do assessment and will accredite to claim points for short skills
Correct. This validation will be done by the New Zealand department only once you receive the invitation to apply.

MSA
2018-03-27
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
65/70
EOI
2022-11-05
Correct. This validation will be done by the New Zealand department only once you receive the invitation to apply.

Is Skill Assessment done by Engineers Australia valid for NZ Skilled Migration too ??
Or we need to get separate Skill Assessment from NZ Authorised body?
I'm talking about Mechanical Engineer ANZSCO 233512 Occupation!

Hi,

Thanks for replying.

Actually, I also called the customer care of immigration department after making this post. They told me that if you get the points above cut off without job offer, then in that case, they would give a skilled migrant job search visa, which is valid for 9 months. I need to find a job within that period, then inform them and then they finally grant me skilled resident visa.

Actually, I got into doubt when I found the following content while filing my EOI, at the bottom of the first page of the online form of EOI. They have not mentioned it anywhere else outside in the main website.

"Please note in order to be granted residence under the Skilled Migrant Category, you must be awarded points for skilled employment in New Zealand, or have a Doctorate or Master's degree gained in New Zealand.

If you do not have skilled employment in New Zealand or a New Zealand Doctorate or Master's degree, but you otherwise meet the Skilled Migrant Category requirements, you will be able to apply for a Skilled Migrant Category Job Search visa. This visa is granted for the purpose of obtaining skilled employment in New Zealand. If this temporary work visa is granted, the decision on your residence will be deferred. If you obtain skilled employment during the deferral period your residence application may be approved. If you do not obtain skilled employment during the deferral period your residence application will be declined."

Today morning when I checked my online account I had the same wordings. What do i do now? Can someone help me on this? I never received any mails from Immigration. What do i do now?

ab16

Timeline missing
Hi @MysticRiver

1. Age - 30 points

Hi,

Were you able to Resolve your queries? I am in the same situation as You are. Did you get Skilled Migrant Category Job search Visa

cenaprince2018

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,

Were you able to Resolve your queries? I am in the same situation as You are. Did you get Skilled Migrant Category Job search Visa

I have applied for the same . Currently, my file is under process.

Does anybody know that fixed term employment contract of 12 months is also eligible to convert job search visa to residency visa?

Anisa

Timeline missing
Hi @MysticRiver

1. Age - 30 points

Hi

did you receive any update on your application

Karen

Wanderer
Timeline missing

This is a very unfortunate change in the rules. I can't imagine anyone with a family willing to immigrate on this temporary work visa.

I have applied for many NZ positions in the past (I finally gave up) and found that when I did get a response, it was extremely negative. This compared with Australian companies who were more open-minded. Has anyone applied for a position outside of NZ with any luck?

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.