Kerala floods: The state in massive crisis and requires help from around the world.

Dileep

Staff member
MSA
2017-04-27
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-12-29
Inv.
2018-01-03
App.
2018-01-16
CO
2018-06-26
PCC
2017-12-13
HC
2018-01-21
Grant
2018-09-18
IED
2018-12-10
Hi All,

Hope many of you might be knowing about the recent floods in Kerala, a southern state in India. I aim to provide this thread as a source of info and a link to many who may be capable to help the afflicted ones.

First, let me introduce you to the state.
It is a 500 odd km long strip of land with a maximum width of 150km and blessed with above 40 rivers and numerous dams along each one of them. The population here is above 40 million (well above the total population of Australia), which brings the population density to around 1030/sq.km. Yes, it is very heavily populated.

The usual monsoon season is from May end onward for 4-5 months, and this year it has been extremely heavy. Added to the existing monsoon troubles the state has been facing, from August 8th there has been incessant rains and as a result every single one of the rivers have overflown and the dams have been releasing millions of liters of water every second, in order to maintain their maximum capacity. As an effect, all the 14 districts are under red alert for heavy weather and millions have been displaced from their homes due to flooding. More than 80,000 homes are flooded and thousands have been washed away from their foundations.

It has been reported that more than 350 lives were lost, 10,000 km roads have been damaged/washed away and all forms of transportation have come to a grinding halt. The only ways to approach the stranded are via helicopters inn many areas and via boats as well. Countless people are still stranded on their house tops, without food/water for more than 3 days and the rescue efforts are in full swing. More than 1500 relief camps are operating across the state with more than a quarter million shifted to the camps. There is absolute lack of food, proper drinking water, and medications across the state. Even the fuel availability is coming to an end, due to lack of connectivity. Thousands of volunteers and military personnel have been working around the clock and still many are yet to be reached.

The government has released an estimated loss of 2.8 billion USD, which is only to increase in the coming days. The government has opened a distress relief fund, aiming to collect donations from around the world, and those who are interested in doing so, I request you to check out the following link. I am not providing any third party links as even I am not sure about the genuineness of multiple others.

The Donation Portal: Kerala Chief Minister's Distress Relief Fund

Thanks for reading the post, and many more thanks if you are thinking about donating.

Thank you once again.

P.S: The news is genuine and details are available all over the internet.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Great cause, hopefully, all of us can contribute to our best possible way.

sky1988

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-09-20
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2019-02-25
Inv.
2019-03-11
App.
2019-03-23
PCC
2019-04-15
HC
2019-04-08
Grant
2020-03-03
IED
2021-03-02
Hi All,

Hope many of you might be knowing about the recent floods in Kerala, a southern state in India. I aim to provide this thread as a source of info and a link to many who may be capable to help the afflicted ones.

First, let me introduce you to the state.
It is a 500 odd km long strip of land with a maximum width of 150km and blessed with above 40 rivers and numerous dams along each one of them. The population here is above 40 million (well above the total population of Australia), which brings the population density to around 1030/sq.km. Yes, it is very heavily populated.

The usual monsoon season is from May end onward for 4-5 months, and this year it has been extremely heavy. Added to the existing monsoon troubles the state has been facing, from August 8th there has been incessant rains and as a result every single one of the rivers have overflown and the dams have been releasing millions of liters of water every second, in order to maintain their maximum capacity. As an effect, all the 14 districts are under red alert for heavy weather and millions have been displaced from their homes due to flooding. More than 80,000 homes are flooded and thousands have been washed away from their foundations.

It has been reported that more than 350 lives were lost, 10,000 km roads have been damaged/washed away and all forms of transportation have come to a grinding halt. The only ways to approach the stranded are via helicopters inn many areas and via boats as well. Countless people are still stranded on their house tops, without food/water for more than 3 days and the rescue efforts are in full swing. More than 1500 relief camps are operating across the state with more than a quarter million shifted to the camps. There is absolute lack of food, proper drinking water, and medications across the state. Even the fuel availability is coming to an end, due to lack of connectivity. Thousands of volunteers and military personnel have been working around the clock and still many are yet to be reached.

The government has released an estimated loss of 2.8 billion USD, which is only to increase in the coming days. The government has opened a distress relief fund, aiming to collect donations from around the world, and those who are interested in doing so, I request you to check out the following link. I am not providing any third party links as even I am not sure about the genuineness of multiple others.

The Donation Portal: Kerala Chief Minister's Distress Relief Fund

Thanks for reading the post, and many more thanks if you are thinking about donating.

Thank you once again.

P.S: The news is genuine and details are available all over the internet.

Thats a great initiative. I have already donated my one day salary through my organization.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.