• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Onshore vs Offshore 189 VISA grant time

Good day,

Currently i am going to complete my study here in Tasmania and My students visa (573) will expire next month. Also i need time to get the skill assessment,which will be beyond my visa expire date.
As i wish to apply for 189 visa is there any significant processing time difference between onshore and offshore applications?
Some of my friends advise to stay here in Australia and enrolle in any small period course just to ensure that i am in onshore and 189 visa processing time is less.

Thanks
Avijit

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Well, it usually happened to be much quicker for on-shore applicants .. but in the changed rule, DIBP allocate same processing time (estimated) for both onshore and offshore. So, theoretically, it should be same for either case now.

Timeline missing
Thanks for the kind reply...
Monday i am going to apply for student visa (500) to extend my further stay in Australia. As my current visa is going to expired by 30th November....hopefully I will get the bridging visa (500 processing time).
If i am under bridging visa can i apply for 189 visa? Will there be any complexity how to approach?

Thanks and best regards
Avijit

Amir

Timeline missing
Dear Admin,
I have 2 questions and I would be so thankful if you could help.
1- On Feb 2016, I came to Australia on 573 visa alone, and on March 2016 lodged a 189 visa application (including my wife who were not in Australia on March). Immediately I was granted a bridging A, but my wife, who was not in Australia at the time of application, was not granted any bridging visa. She then joined me on the same visa 573 in June 2016. Now, both our visas 573 are going to be expired (on March 2017). My first question is that which visa can I apply for her to let her remain in Australia until we are notified by the visa decision?
2-One option for me is that I apply for a student visa 500 before March. But I have been advised that if I apply for another student visa, if the 189 visa is granted first, and the student visa 500 granted even 10 minutes later, the student visa will overwrite the 189. Is this story true????
Many thanks for your advice.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
1. I am not familiar with 573 terms, but I believe because she apolied off-shore, she won't be eligible for bridging visa. Till her PR grant, she has to get some dependent visa against your current visa. However, as I said, I am not an expert in this visa category, so you might want to give a call to DIBP (as you are in Aus).

2. Usually Visa that is granted later takes the presidence. However, did you check if you can extend your bridging visa instead of a student visa? I think it's little unusual to apply for a student visa while your 189 is in processing. About your wife's condition, I believe you better talk to DIBP directly as I have seen such cases where the dependent needed to wait abroad till the PR was granted.

VIBI

Wanderer
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-01-15
Inv.
2017-01-16
App.
2017-01-20
CO
2017-01-31
PCC
2017-01-20
HC
2017-02-08
I applied from offshore but now at onshore/Australia. Does updating these details would fasten the process?
How can I do that if I want to get Address and Phone number updated?

Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-01-15
Inv.
2017-01-16
App.
2017-01-20
CO
2017-01-31
PCC
2017-01-20
HC
2017-02-08

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
I applied from offshore but now at onshore/Australia. Does updating these details would fasten the process?
How can I do that if I want to get Address and Phone number updated?

It shouldn't actually matter since you are already Onshore, that can delay the process though lol. I believe you can update those details in your immi account, if not then just simply write an email to your CO, but do that since its your responsibility to update DIBP for any changes in circumstances while visa processing time.

Hi

I was in Austfalia on temporary visa form 476, that was expiring end of march 2017.
I enroled for 1year course to extend my stay in Aus and applied for student visa(500)in march 2017 and was given bridging visa A, then in april 2017 i became eligible for PR visa 189 and i applied for it. And was granted bridging visa c, then i canceled my application for student visa. Now my PR assessment in progress(applied as telecom engineer).
1 st question is since im on bridging visa c is it necessary to keep studying or i can drop the course? How far does migration officer goes in his investigation? Will it look suspicious if i drop the course, too expensive and cant afford to pay anymore.

2nd question is i have changed position at my work. Is it necessary to notify DIBP? Will it make assessment of my case longer?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
1 st question is since im on bridging visa c is it necessary to keep studying or i can drop the course? How far does migration officer goes in his investigation? Will it look suspicious if i drop the course, too expensive and cant afford to pay anymore.
I am not exactly sure, but it won't matter now that you have applied for PR.

2nd question is i have changed position at my work. Is it necessary to notify DIBP? Will it make assessment of my case longer?
You are supposed to notify DIBP about any change that affects on the answers in your visa application. So, I recommend you to notify DIBP, even if that causes some delay. However, I don't think it'll.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Your visa processing will not be affected by that. But visa processing can take awfully long time in some cases. So, if you need to return within a short period of time, you should apply for a visa (PR or other), get the bridging visa C and then leave Australia.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.