Permanent residency pathway for provisional visa 489

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
If I have the baby back in my country would it still be on 489? What documents would I have to give for his Visa?
Children born outside Australia to PR parents still need to apply for children PR, so don't think children to 489 parents will be automatically granted 489s.
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/life/chil
DHA said:
Children born outside Australia to permanent resident parents will need to apply for and be granted a permanent visa to be able to enter and remain in Australia with their parents.

For my info...can my parents come on visit Visa fo 3 to 6 months ??
They can apply. DHA to decide whether to grant visas or not.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
For the question of which one is better, 189 is better 190, which is better than 489, which is better than nothing.

What is your nominated skill? You have a very slim chance for 189 at 65 points in near future.

Hi
Iam planing to apply for 489 subclass visa as a primary applicant, along with my husband and kid.please answer my queries.
1. Will i get my PR directly after 2 years?what are the chances? or probable chances?i would like to go ahead only if it is by default we get?
2. if I start applying for PR after 2 years of my stay and work in regional , how long will it take to get PR ?if by any chances my 489 VISA get expired in the said 2 years before I get my PR can i extend it or come back?
3.wht about health and education for me and my family?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Will i get my PR directly after 2 years?what are the chances? or probable chances?i would like to go ahead only if it is by default we get?
After getting 489, you have to stay in a regional area for 2 years and work for 1 year (at least) before you can apply for PR via subclass 887. If you fulfill the criteria, you'll get the PR after the processing is completed (processing time varies). So, under normal circumstances, you will surely get your PR, but it will not happen automatically and instantaneously. You have to apply and wait for the new grant.

if by any chances my 489 VISA get expired in the said 2 years before I get my PR can i extend it or come back?
As soon as you apply for 887, you'll get a bridging visa which will cover your legal stay in Australia until 887 visa processing is finished, even if your 489 expires.

wht about health and education for me and my family?
Under 489, Medicare is not free, education depends on the local policy. After you get your 887, you'll get the same benefits as other PR subclasses like 189/190.

Scorpionrocks

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi @MysticRiver... I have earlier messaged and clarified few things in this thread.

I was the secondary applicant in 489 visa. If I can move to Regional area and satisfy the condition for 887 and apply for PR with my wife and child joining me later & not able to satisfy the stay and work requirements.

All the expert replies was YES I will be eligible.

I followed the same and moved. Currently I have completed 1 year in regional Australia and I have 16 months of my visa left. My family was planning to move here next month.

Today all of a sudden when I was going through the forums I found that all the applicants need to satisfy residential requirements.
Is it true and is there anything I can do in this late occasion if this is required

Desperate to know. Please help.

littlejohn

Regular
MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02
Hi @MysticRiver

Today all of a sudden when I was going through the forums I found that all the applicants need to satisfy residential requirements.
Is it true and is there anything I can do in this late occasion if this is required

Desperate to know. Please help.
Only the main primary applicant needs to satisfy this requirement...

MSA
2019-07-09
Skill
SC
RS 187DS
App.
2019-11-14
CO
2020-01-30
PCC
2019-11-25
HC
2020-02-13
Grant
2020-03-02

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I have answered this a couple of times now, maybe should pin it somewhere.

In the past, DHA has this criterion that the dependents need to meet the residency criteria as well. However, since DHA updated the design of their website, they strip out that page.

So either that criterion is not valid anymore, or somehow they missed it in the new version - not sure which one is true.

Check the old version here

Also, attaching the snapshot in case the archive goes offline

Scorpionrocks

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I have answered this a couple of times now, maybe should pin it somewhere.

In the past, DHA has this criterion that the dependents need to meet the residency criteria as well. However, since DHA updated the design of their website, they strip out that page.

So either that criterion is not valid anymore, or somehow they missed it in the new version - not sure which one is true.

Check the old version here

Also, attaching the snapshot in case the archive goes offline
Hi @ Mystic river. .. u have recently answered this a couple times. Whereas almost an year before the answer was different by many including you. It said that it is ok and eligible for 887 even if only one of the 489 applicant be it primary or secondary can satisfy the conditions for 887. And I had come nd started living in regional area upon that belief... so all of a sudden wen I went through the forum today was surprised to see at many places residency requirement being specified, i.e., all applicants need to satisfy 2 year residency condition. This is the only reason I posted. And I wonder with less than 2 years of visa validity left if my dependants come here will I be eligible for 887 even after I satisfy the visa conditions.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
it is ok and eligible for 887 even if only one of the 489 applicant be it primary or secondary can satisfy the conditions for 887.
I don't remember saying that, but if I did, maybe because DHA keep changing the criteria. For example, as I posted a snapshot before, DHA used to have (in the past) the criteria that every applicant needs to meet the residency criteria. However, that criterion is not present in their website anymore.

N.B.: I found one old post where I said something similar, but corrected myself later.

The primary applicant for 887 needs to live in a regional area for 2 years and work for 1 years, irrespective of whether he/she was primary or secondary applicant in 489 visa.

All other eligible family members can be added as the secondary applicant in the 887 application. The secondary applicants do not need to meet the residency/work criteria.

Note: Correction. the secondary applicant might need to meet residency criteria.

Also, I had clarified this in many other posts around the similar time you asked in the past, unfortunately, I guess you missed those, sorry for that.

Below is one of the conditions for adding the partner in the 887 visa application
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...s/supporting/Pages/887/documents-partner.aspx

You are right, I stand corrected.

Your partner will be able to apply in 887. But to include you as a dependent, you also need to meet the residency criteria
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...s/supporting/Pages/887/documents-partner.aspx

Actually, the dependents in 887 needs to meet the residency criteria as well. So, if you want to be included in 887, you have to stay at least for 2 years.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav.../Pages/887/documents-dependents-under-18.aspx
https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav...g/Pages/887/documents-dependents-over-18.aspx

Having said that, I am not sure what is the current status, as no such thing is mentioned in DHA website anymore. So, you might be okay.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I did a bit extra digging on the current DHA site and found the following statement

DHA said:
The evidence you provide should demonstrate that you and any family members included in your application have complied with your visa conditions when in Australia.

So, maybe (not certain though), under the new rule, they don't impose residency criteria to the family members, however, they demand them to comply with the visa criteria if they remain in Australia (e.g., if they remain in Australia in 489, they have to live in the regional area).

Harry007

Regular
MSA
2017-01-07
Skill
SC
489 (NSW)
Point
EOI
2017-11-11
Inv.
2017-12-07
App.
2018-01-21
CO
2018-04-23
PCC
2018-01-10
HC
2018-01-17
Grant
2018-06-12
Hey @MysticRiver can you please share a link where the information is available for visa requirement of child entrant visas for 489.

My daughter was born overseas and is still in my country I want to bring her to Australia. Me my wife have 489 visa . Can you please point me in the right direction ?

MSA
2017-01-07
Skill
SC
489 (NSW)
Point
EOI
2017-11-11
Inv.
2017-12-07
App.
2018-01-21
CO
2018-04-23
PCC
2018-01-10
HC
2018-01-17
Grant
2018-06-12

Scorpionrocks

Wanderer
Timeline missing
I did a bit extra digging on the current DHA site and found the following statement

So, maybe (not certain though), under the new rule, they don't impose residency criteria to the family members, however, they demand them to comply with the visa criteria if they remain in Australia (e.g., if they remain in Australia in 489, they have to live in the regional area).
Yes. Once granted, you are not bound by the primary applicant's status, same for other residency subclasses as well.
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-

You cannot add any applicant to your application once granted. You have to apply child visa (101/102) separately.

Yes
https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/887-

The above post is what i was mentioning... been 2 years...

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hope things will go good. But still is there an option to extend 489 Visa?
489 can't be extended, unfortunately. You have to apply for some other visa to stay in Australia.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.