• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

PhD Assessed for Skilled Occupation

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
So, in what situation I will be still good
Define "Good". If your CO decides the experience you claimed is ineligible for point claim and reduce 10 points, that particular visa application will be rejected no matter what happens to your other EOIs. You have to start over and look for another invitation.

Muhammad Attique

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Define "Good". If your CO decides the experience you claimed is ineligible for point claim and reduce 10 points, that particular visa application will be rejected no matter what happens to your other EOIs. You have to start over and look for another invitation.

I have read some posts where applicants mentioned that CO notified them that they over claimed points and CO will continue application with reduced points because even with reduced points they could have got invitation.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I have read some posts where applicants mentioned that CO notified them that they over claimed points and CO will continue application with reduced points because even with reduced points they could have got invitation.
I haven't heard anything such. That might be logical if the applicant would still get an invitation on the same round (with reduced point). But in case he received in a subsequent round, I am not sure.

Thank you for the reply. I too claimed 20 for PhD and 10 for working experience. As the evidence, I had my supervisor's letter and bank statement that shows the fortnight salary received. Stipend shows in bank statement as uni salary. I have evaluated PhD as work experience from Vetassess and in Advisory point test letter, it showed 10 points for PhD work experience.
However, In April 2018 (Lodgement date 2018 Jan), CO asked me remuneration evidence other than the scholarships and stipend. I do not have any other than the bank statement as we did not get payslips or we did not pay tax. Could you please let me know if you submitted payslips.

Hi Nilu, any update regarding your application?

Shiva Raj

Timeline missing
I am planning to submit my application for skill assessment and interested to check whether EA would still consider a PhD as a paid experience? My PhD was funded through university and my supervisor's grant. Do you guys have any recent experience with this? Any information will be very helpful. Thanking you in advance.

Muhammad Attique

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi All,

I have been granted visa and thank you everyone for assisting me. This post was helpful for me. Just to give hope to others, who are thinking to claim PHD work experience, let me give you some details of my case:

I applied in the category of Software Engineering. I claimed my Research Assistant work experience that I performed during my doctoral degree. To DIBP, I only provided my reference letter signed by my supervisor and bank statement to show the evidence of getting paid. DIBP accepts those documents and they didn't ask me any other document.

Cheers

Hi All,

I have been granted visa and thank you everyone for assisting me. This post was helpful for me. Just to give hope to others, who are thinking to claim PHD work experience, let me give you some details of my case:

I applied in the category of Software Engineering. I claimed my Research Assistant work experience that I performed during my doctoral degree. To DIBP, I only provided my reference letter signed by my supervisor and bank statement to show the evidence of getting paid. DIBP accepts those documents and they didn't ask me any other document.

Cheers

Congrats mate :)

May i know when did you apply for your VISA? because latest i heard that they no more consider scholarship as the paid work.

Cheers

S

sassyinsydney

Guys so they refused the request for the visa 189 because i was not able to show that my scholarship was paying not only allowance fees.....
What is making me angry is that i hired a migretion agent and she was ready to submitt the email while the CO sent the refusal notification.
Acordigly with my migration agent they must give you full 28 days to provide more documents this means that they do not accept anything after 5 pm of last day....what happened to me is very sad because they sent me the notification at 3pm (Adelade time where the CO and GSM was) and my migration agent was ready at 3:30.

My migration agent send a letter to the GSM asking for reopening the case as the CO did not give me enough time but the automatic reply said that they will answer in 28 days an now i have only 21 for doing the appeal at the tribunal.

My migration agent already won one similar case from one of my collegue and she told me that mine is a good case.

After 7 years in Australia i am sick now to spend money without having the results so this is my last try if refused again back in Europe!!!

Thaks Bolivia, i tried to do again the IELTS but this test is not for me, i tried last month but i wasn't able to get 7 in all subjects. I decided to go with a migration agent because at the moment i do not have much time to sit and understand the laws etc. So i am going to appeal at the tribunal so fingers crossed.

Thanks
His is very late but it could still help you. When a decision is made not following correct process it can be reversed as a jurisdictional error. If the timing is correct (you need to refer to the acts interpretation act 1901 on how time is measured, words have specific and important meanings for this). If it's a jurisdictional error which sounds likely, it can be reversed. There is no time limit for this. A jurisdictional error means the outcome was not valid.

There are lots of other comments I could make on other comments in this thread (I'm a registered migration agent for 15+ years) but I don't have the time at the moment. I just came across it by accident when I was searching for something.

Good luck!

S

sassyinsydney

Ok So I called EA. Discussed my case, they referred me to the page 27-29 of the MSA booklet, told me that to qualify as a professional experience in Engineering, you need to have experience in the corporate. Paid PhD can not be considered as a part of the corporate affair.
University experience: Researcher or Lecturer can not be considered as a professional engineering experience.
They asked me: " Why were you confused?"
I told them, that "my PhD generated a corporation, so I was confused!"
We both laughed and call ended. Looks like only Vetassess has to way out.

you dont need to do an employment assessment with EA. its optional. dont do it. their requirements for assessing are stricter than the dept.

Ashwini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hello friends! Visa granted! Thanks for your interest in this special case. Every new thing looks impossible until it's done! Amazing!!👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐👐
Hi Bolivia, Congratulations, I am looking for help as I am doing skill assessment for Social Professional nec and want to know how to write the "cover letter that justifies the rationale for choosing a nec category".

Hi Bolivia, Congratulations, I am looking for help as I am doing skill assessment for Social Professional nec and want to know how to write the "cover letter that justifies the rationale for choosing a nec category".
Hello @Ashwini, what is the Cover Letter for? In any case, all you to do is to align your experience and skills to the roles prescribed in the ANZCO Code. You’ll need to demonstrate that you’re qualified based on that.

Social Professional NEC consists of a number of occupations which you can possibly select from. In my opinion, the major task is to identify the exact occupation that aligns with your skills and experience and that you’re qualified for it.

Hope this helps. All the best!

Ashwini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hello @Ashwini, what is the Cover Letter for? In any case, all you to do is to align your experience and skills to the roles prescribed in the ANZCO Code. You’ll need to demonstrate that you’re qualified based on that.

Social Professional NEC consists of a number of occupations which you can possibly select from. In my opinion, the major task is to identify the exact occupation that aligns with your skills and experience and that you’re qualified for it.

Hope this helps. All the best!
Hi Bolivia, Thank you for the reply. I think I should have mentioned a brief background about myself; So I have done my Masters in Criminology and now currently working as a Evaluation officer for crime prevention programs. So I fall under criminologist in Social Professional nec category.
I have zero idea on how to align and write about this, I am new to the website so not sure how this work - but would you be able to help with a sample which shows how to demonstrate it. thank you

Ashwini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi I need help in determining my occupation roles and duties under 272499.
I come under Criminology and not sure what are the required roles and duties to get nominated for this occupation.
I am about to soon submit my skill assessment.

Ashwini

Wanderer
Timeline missing
a
Hi I need help in determining my occupation roles and duties under 272499.
I come under Criminology and not sure what are the required roles and duties to get nominated for this occupation.
I am about to soon submit my skill assessment.
as a number of occupations fall under the category it is difficult for me to determine the exact roles and duties for Criminologist. Thank You!!

gspat

Timeline missing
Apologies for digging up an old thread but any help would be highly appreciated.

I got my VETASSESS skills assesment (Uni Lecturer) back where out of my 3 employments (1 & 2 were during my PhD), they used 2nd and part of 3rd for qualifying me for the skill. First was a Graduate Research Assistant (highly relevant and 20 hrs/week in addition to scholarships) position and second was a TA/Instructor position.

I'm currently on a TSS visa and had applied for it before starting my 3rd employment. My current visa is for the same skill (Uni Lecturer) and while granting DIBP used my 1st and 2nd employment to qualify me for the skill (Uni lecturer is exempt from skills assessment for TSS visa but they still need 2 years of relevant experience).

While submiting the EOI for 189/190, how should I answer the question "Is this employment related to the nominated occupation?" for my employments? According to VETASSESS point advice 1st is not related, 2nd and part of 3rd were used to qualify me for the skill and remaining part of 3rd is related. Should I fill in the exact outcome from VETASSESS or should I put 1st year of employment 1 as not related and rest as related?

Thanks for any guidance on this!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
You are supposed to follow your assessment outcome.

Mason2018

Timeline missing
Hi there!
I have a question and it is an ambiguity for me regarding the assessment of my Ph.D. qualification, I appreciate it if anyone could assist me with that.
I am a Ph.D. graduate in civil engineering from an Australian university. I also, hold a bachelor's and master's degree in civil engineering from overseas (not under one of the Washington, Sydney, and Dublin accords). I intend to assess my Ph.D. degree with EA for the 190 and 189 visa schemes (or partner points).

My question is that do I need to pursue the pathway that requires me to submit a CDR? or should it be submitted through the Australian accredited qualification pathway without the need to submit a CDR?

I appreciate it if you answer this question.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.