EA Please advise - Degree/MLTSSL/Current occupation dilemma - Control and Instrumentation Engineer

SinWolf

Ok, so I have a "Computer and Electronic Engineer" qualification from the North West University... which is a signatory to the Washington Accord... This means that my course is recognized and that I can have it assessed via the Washington Accord pathway... (so I do not need to do a CDR, Competency Demonstration Report)

I am a "Control and Instrument Engineer" by occupation... there is no "Control and Instrument Engineering" degree with the name exactly the same as my current occupation... but Control and Instrumentation Engineers are usually Electronics or Electrical Engineers that end up being C&I engineers...

I read in the Engineers Australia skills assessment booklet the following: "If you are seeking assessment in an occupation that is not the same as the title of your degree, you will need to submit a CDR (Competency Demonstration Report) for assessment... I would really prefer the Washington Accord route, but my qualification and occupation does not match... So now I'm not sure if I should choose the Washington Accord pathway or the CDR pathway...

Another Question... The list of eligible skilled occupations only lists "Electronics Engineer" and not "Computer and Electronics Engineer" as per my current degree/qualification... Is this also going to be a problem ??

What are my options here :(

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I read in the Engineers Australia skills assessment booklet the following: "If you are seeking assessment in an occupation that is not the same as the title of your degree, you will need to submit a CDR (Competency Demonstration Report) for assessment... I would really prefer the Washington Accord route, but my qualification and occupation does not match... So now I'm not sure if I should choose the Washington Accord pathway or the CDR pathway...
Hmm, you should discuss it with EA because at the end their decision would be final.

The list of eligible skilled occupations only lists "Electronics Engineer" and not "Computer and Electronics Engineer" as per my current degree/qualification... Is this also going to be a problem ?
Not particularly if your course content proves to have enough content for an "Electronics Engineer". A bit odd title in my knowledge though, heard of Electrical & Electronic engineer, but not computer and electronic engineer - they are quite different in responsibilities.

SinWolf

Hmm, you should discuss it with EA because at the end their decision would be final.

I have emailed them (Engineers Australia) to try and get some help, and they were not helpful at all... they said that they don't do pre assessments (which I'm fine with, as I did not ask for a pre-assessment) and they said it's my responsibility to choose the correct pathway....

I would really want to do the Washington Accord pathway, as this will be much easier than the CDR route...

What bothers me is the following statement in the MSA booklet:

"If you are seeking assessment in an occupation that is not the same as the title of your degree, you will need to submit a CDR for assessment"

I'm not sure if they will see my occupation as "part" of my degree or not...

My Degree: "Computer and Electronics Engineer" (B.Eng) (Washington Accord)
My job title (and 10+ years experience): C&I Engineer (Control and Instrumentation Engineer)

Nominated occupation: 233513 Production or Plant Engineer - Specialization: Automation and Control Engineer

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
I have emailed them (Engineers Australia) to try and get some help, and they were not helpful at all... they said that they don't do pre assessments (which I'm fine with, as I did not ask for a pre-assessment) and they said it's my responsibility to choose the correct pathway....

I would really want to do the Washington Accord pathway, as this will be much easier than the CDR route...

What bothers me is the following statement in the MSA booklet:

"If you are seeking assessment in an occupation that is not the same as the title of your degree, you will need to submit a CDR for assessment"

I'm not sure if they will see my occupation as "part" of my degree or not...

My Degree: "Computer and Electronics Engineer" (B.Eng) (Washington Accord)
My job title (and 10+ years experience): C&I Engineer (Control and Instrumentation Engineer)

Nominated occupation: 233513 Production or Plant Engineer - Specialization: Automation and Control Engineer
I believe if you select nominated occupation as "Electronics" Engineer then your degree and occupation can match as they don't require your job title to match with their name but only anzsco code vs degree title which can work for electronics engineer I believe. So just check if your job qualifies you to be selected as Electronics Engineer. Then you can choose the Washington Accord pathway. Later if EA feels that you are not eligible for this accord due to xyz reason, they will give you the chance to submit CDR (happens with few people when they don't qualify for some occupations, CO gives them the chance to submit CDR or change their occupation) so I guess you can take the chance

MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

SinWolf

I believe if you select nominated occupation as "Electronics" Engineer then your degree and occupation can match as they don't require your job title to match with their name but only anzsco code vs degree title which can work for electronics engineer I believe. So just check if your job qualifies you to be selected as Electronics Engineer. Then you can choose the Washington Accord pathway. Later if EA feels that you are not eligible for this accord due to xyz reason, they will give you the chance to submit CDR (happens with few people when they don't qualify for some occupations, CO gives them the chance to submit CDR or change their occupation) so I guess you can take the chance

Thank you for your reply... So If I go the Washington Accord Route then I obviously need to submit proof of work (for skill assessment)... So I can take a chance to submit proof of work as a "Control and Instrument Engineer" ?

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
Thank you for your reply... So If I go the Washington Accord Route then I obviously need to submit proof of work (for skill assessment)... So I can take a chance to submit proof of work as a "Control and Instrument Engineer" ?
For proof of work, usually, the job title does not matter but your task list must be matching with your nominated occupation. So if you are selecting Electronics Engineer as occupation, please make sure that your actual job description is meeting with that of occupation's JD

MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

keshav_826

Timeline missing
Hi .. I also have same query

(Ok, so I have a "Communication and Electronic Engineer" qualification from the Indian University... which is a signatory to the Washington Accord... This means that my course is recognized and that I can have it assessed via the Washington Accord pathway... (so I do not need to do a CDR, Competency Demonstration Report)

I am a "Control and Instrument Engineer" by occupation... there is no "Control and Instrument Engineering" degree with the name exactly the same as my current occupation... but Control and Instrumentation Engineers are usually Electronics or Electrical Engineers that end up being C&I engineers...

Another Question... The list of eligible skilled occupations only lists "Electronics Engineer" and not "Computer and Electronics Engineer" as per my current degree/qualification... Is this also going to be a problem. )

This query was posted around a year ago by SIN Wolf . Can you provide his contact detail if he can help me

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.