Processing time for 189 New Zealand stream

Daisy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hey guy s could you help me out. I’m all set to apply for the 189 visa. Got my 4 financial years from ATO. Applied for all the police checks (AUS and NZ) all documents in order etc. My main concern is that I moved to Australia in November 2010. In September 2014 I travelled with my partner to her home country in Europe to give Birth to our daughter. April 2015 we returned to Australia. I consider myself having lived in Australia since 2010-2019. But will this gap in Europe hinder my application for the “5 continuous years of residence”? Cheers
Hello Tones, unfortunately it won't be considered as 5 yrs of continuous residence as it is a big gap, but why not wait for May 2020 next year then you will have your 5 yrs of residence. We went to NZ in 2014 too from August to September for me to give birth,my partner is a kiwi and I am from Europe but it was too far to go for us as hubby could only take 6 weeks holidays. wish you all the best!

auswi

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi, I'm wondering how I should be responding to the following question.

Non-migrating members of the family unit
Does the applicant have any members of their family unit not travelling to Australia who are not Australian citizens or Australian permanent residents?

From googling, this appears to be a confusing question for others as well and a "yes" response would be where the applicant has a partner and/ or a dependant?

I'm not married/no partner, no dependants and am applying for myself only. My parents do not hold NZ/Aus passports but my sibling holds a NZ passport. I assume my response should be no for this question?

Thanks heaps!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
According to the new definition (came into effect on November 2016), members of their family unit include partner and children only.

Family of 2 Adults - No kids
Applied 31st May 2019
Visa granted after VAC 2 payments made - 08 August 2019
Total processing time: Just over 2 months

Sounds like I was very lucky with the processing time after ready some other posts. Suggestion would be to follow all the guides and suggestions on the Oz Kiwi Website, it took me about a month to collate all the info but its better to provide more upfront where possible and always do your medicals

Last edited by a moderator:

Blessing

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Family of 2 Adults - No kids
Applied 31st May 2019
Visa granted after VAC 2 payments made - 08 August 2019
Total processing time: Just over 2 months

Sounds like I was very lucky with the processing time after ready some other posts. Suggestion would be to follow all the guides and suggestions on the Oz Kiwi Website, it took me about a month to collate all the info but its better to provide more upfront where possible and always do your medicals
Wow that’s really fast,congratulations to you both

auswi

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,

In relation to employment, would listing my current job suffice or would the preference be to list all previous employment in the last five years? Listing employment requires listing a contact person within the organisation and I have lost touch with most of my previous employers so would rather not include previous employment.

OzKiwi suggests completing a Form 80 even though I don't think this is a requirement for the application. Has everyone been doing this?

Also, would I be ok to submit my application pending the outcome of my NZ and Aus Police checks? I have the auto response email from the Ministry of Justice (NZ) and intend to attach it under the "Evidence - Intention to provide" section.

Thanks heaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

In relation to employment, would listing my current job suffice or would the preference be to list all previous employment in the last five years? Listing employment requires listing a contact person within the organisation and I have lost touch with most of my previous employers so would rather not include previous employment.

OzKiwi suggests completing a Form 80 even though I don't think this is a requirement for the application. Has everyone been doing this?

Also, would I be ok to submit my application pending the outcome of my NZ and Aus Police checks? I have the auto response email from the Ministry of Justice (NZ) and intend to attach it under the "Evidence - Intention to provide" section.

Thanks heaps.

Hi, you need to list all employment including contact persons, not just current, and not for the past 5 years. And all NZ job experiences as well. If you have only one (current) employment it may not be enough. depending on your age, of course. If you are in your 30s or 40s and have ever only had one job, it may not sound very plausible.
It is up to you if you want to wait for the outcomes of the character clearance.
The form 80 may or may not be asked of you to complete. Most people do it in case if they will be asked to submit it later and do not want to waste time.

Hi,

Thanks heaps.
Form 80 is not a requirement but definitely fast track your application. Form 80 verifies character references.

auswi

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Thanks for the responses. I'm in mid 30s and post graduation (tertiary), have had three previous jobs in Australia and two jobs in NZ. (These jobs varied in length, 12 months to 3 years) I also had two casual brief jobs in Aussie (1-3 months) and I worked multiple jobs while in high school and university in NZ. who are you guys putting down as contact persons? Supervisors or just colleagues you worked with at the time? I am still in contact with colleagues from all previous jobs (not so much my previous supervisors...) but they have all moved on from the company as well. Will these colleagues who I worked with at the time be likely acceptable? And should I just put down my longer than 12 months jobs (being the 5 referred above) and exclude pre graduation jobs? Also, for education, I've just listed tertiary education or should I include high school (NZ)? Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'm in mid 30s and post graduation (tertiary), have had three previous jobs in Australia and two jobs in NZ. (These jobs varied in length, 12 months to 3 years) I also had two casual brief jobs in Aussie (1-3 months) and I worked multiple jobs while in high school and university in NZ. who are you guys putting down as contact persons? Supervisors or just colleagues you worked with at the time? I am still in contact with colleagues from all previous jobs (not so much my previous supervisors...) but they have all moved on from the company as well. Will these colleagues who I worked with at the time be likely acceptable? And should I just put down my longer than 12 months jobs (being the 5 referred above) and exclude pre graduation jobs? Also, for education, I've just listed tertiary education or should I include high school (NZ)? Thanks guys.
For previous work I listed all previous jobs and put down Managers names from the time I was there and the work phone number.

You need to list every educational institution you attended - Primary, Secondary, Tertiary etc

They are looking for a full timeline from when you were born, study, work and any unemployment

This is a long thread with lots of replies. For better visibility and response, consider posting in a new thread unless your topic is closely related to the subject of this thread.
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.