Info PTE- Academic an alternative to IELTS

Kamy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Starting the thread to discuss PTE- Academic which is an excellent alternative to IELTS.

I found PTE- Academic a more rationale and fast English language test, PTE-Academic is accepted by immi. This test is scored on a scale of 10 to 90 Marks.

1) Competent-- to become eligible for Australia immigration, you need to score 50 marks out of 90 in all sections Listening, Writing, Reading, Speaking

2) Proficient-- to get 10 points for Australia immigration, you need to score 65 marks out of 90 in all sections Listening, Writing, Reading, Speaking

3) Superior-- to get 20 points for australia immigration, you need to score 79 marks out of 90 in all sections Listening, Writing, Reading, Speaking

Last edited:

Kamy

Wanderer
Timeline missing
List of Materials available for PTE-Academic

1) The Official Guide to the Pearson Test of English Academic
2) ptepractice.com -- two scored test avaiable on this site for 60$, which evaluates a candidate's level

Other references
-------------------------------------------------
3) Pearson Test of English Academic Practice Tests Plus and CD-ROM with Key Pack
4) PTE Academic Testbuilder: Student's Book + Audio Pack (Macmillan Testbuilders)

Timeline missing
Great initiative. I do agree, PTE Academic is easier for people who are "computer-based" and the results are much faster than IELTS, average a day (2 weeks of anxiety for IELTS' test takers). Again, if applying for Australia PR and you are an IT guy, PTE is the way.

Any PTE-A questions (general or section specifics) I would be glad to help! :)

Timeline missing
Dear Marcos,

Please confirm Is PTE easier then Ielts?

Thanks & Regds,
ramakant

Hi Ramakant!
I don't think PTE is easier than IELTS but, as I said above, if you feel confident enough to speak and write on the computer, it is a great alternative. Just don't forget PTE is an academic one, so some questions are science-related.
In my opinion, Listening/Writing tasks are easier (it means, less preparation) but on the other hand, Speaking/Reading should be tricky, therefore demanding more time to get well prepared.
I didn't like the idea to be waiting 2 weeks for a english exam (this is why I took only once), so I decided to go with PTE.

Timeline missing
Hi guys, I just received my scores.

Communicative Skills:

Listening - 90

Reading - 83

Speaking - 90

Writing - 90

Enabling Skills:

Grammar - 90

Oral Fluency - 90

Pronunciation - 90

Spelling - 90

Vocabulary - 77

Written Discourse - 90

I'm currently in Delhi.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
What is your point? No advertisement please. I have deleted your link.

Kinjal

Timeline missing
Hi Ramakant!
I don't think PTE is easier than IELTS but, as I said above, if you feel confident enough to speak and write on the computer, it is a great alternative. Just don't forget PTE is an academic one, so some questions are science-related.
In my opinion, Listening/Writing tasks are easier (it means, less preparation) but on the other hand, Speaking/Reading should be tricky, therefore demanding more time to get well prepared.
I didn't like the idea to be waiting 2 weeks for a english exam (this is why I took only once), so I decided to go with PTE.

Hi, It's very true,
I had given PTE last week, I did well in writing (83), reading (66)& listening (77).

Surprisingly, speaking score (37) is not even half of the other scores. I don't understand where I am making mistakes. Especially pronunciation score is 21 !! (It's not that bad !)
Plz suggest :(
I need 65+ in all the sections

Timeline missing
Hi, It's very true,
I had given PTE last week, I did well in writing (83), reading (66)& listening (77).

Surprisingly, speaking score (37) is not even half of the other scores. I don't understand where I am making mistakes. Especially pronunciation score is 21 !! (It's not that bad !)
Plz suggest :(
I need 65+ in all the sections

Before speaking (during the preparation time), check the microphone. Don't keep it not too closer or not too far from your mouth, but in a medium position. Sometimes the microphone is impacted by the air (breath) coming from your mouth. I've heared many cases that pronunciation was really scored low due that issue.
Another tip is to speak clear and not too fast. Make sure that no room noise is affecting your Speaking test.
Also, don't make any pauses at all, but if you have to, use gap/fillers words such as "I mean", "so", "actually" just to gain extra time and complete your sentences (especially during Re-tell Lecture and Describe images sections).

I'm not a fluent speaker but I got 81 using the tips above.

Good luck, you'll perform well next time.

Kinjal

Timeline missing
Before speaking (during the preparation time), check the microphone. Don't keep it not too closer or not too far from your mouth, but in a medium position. Sometimes the microphone is impacted by the air (breath) coming from your mouth. I've heared many cases that pronunciation was really scored low due that issue.
Another tip is to speak clear and not too fast. Make sure that no room noise is affecting your Speaking test.
Also, don't make any pauses at all, but if you have to, use gap/fillers words such as "I mean", "so", "actually" just to gain extra time and complete your sentences (especially during Re-tell Lecture and Describe images sections).

Thank you so much for your valuable tips, will apply it next time. :)
Also, if there are multiple people in a same room for the speaking test, does it affect the speaking score? I mean background voice of others.

Kinjal

Timeline missing

Yes, I had noticed my own breathing in the recording, when I had tested microphone before the exam was started.
I want to ask one basic and silly question regarding this : "Should I keep microphone handle, downside of my lips, or at the upside which would be near to nose."

Sorry for this silly question, but after getting 21 in pronunciation, it is better to clarify, LOL :)

Timeline missing
Yes, keep the mic near your mouth/lips (but not too much, only a bit away) and speak loud, at normal rate and clear. if, during the check recorder, you find and hear your breathing just move the mic away a bit. You should be good. More importantly, just be confident.

R_Aus

Wanderer
MSA
2017-07-21
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-07-22
Inv.
2017-07-25
App.
2017-08-17
CO
2017-09-15
PCC
2017-08-08
HC
2017-09-05
Grant
2017-10-26
In Multiple–choice, choose multiple answers if we select only single answer instead of multiple answers, still do we get the 1 point or is it mandatory to select at least 2 options?

MSA
2017-07-21
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-07-22
Inv.
2017-07-25
App.
2017-08-17
CO
2017-09-15
PCC
2017-08-08
HC
2017-09-05
Grant
2017-10-26

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I believe you have to pick both the answers correctly to get that point.

Rakshanda

Staff member
MSA
2016-12-13
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
55/60
EOI
2016-12-15
In Multiple–choice, choose multiple answers if we select only single answer instead of multiple answers, still do we get the 1 point or is it mandatory to select at least 2 options?

Its a multiple-choice, hence you need to choose multiple answers correctly.

Debbie

Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-01-19
Inv.
2019-01-23
App.
2019-03-09
I have only done IELTS but a friend of mine took the PTE after not scoring high enough in the writing section of IELTS to claim superior English. She managed a near perfect writing score in PTE but her speaking result was unusually low. It seems that her microphone might also have been faulty because she scored 9 for speaking in the IELTS test. I definitely have the microphone checked before starting.

Debbie

Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-01-19
Inv.
2019-01-23
App.
2019-03-09
Thank you so much for your valuable tips, will apply it next time. :)
Also, if there are multiple people in a same room for the speaking test, does it affect the speaking score? I mean background voice of others.

Thanks! This is very helpful. I will pass this information along to my friend who is going to try PTE again.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.