Resident Return Visa - Travel Facility has expired on my GSM 190 PR

OZdownunder

Timeline missing
Hi,

The Travel facility on my GSM 190 ( SA State Sponsored) PR recently expired, I have manged to live in Australia for only 8 months in the last 5 years and that too on 2 different occasions.
I do not have any employment ties, relatives and friends in OZ and hence unable to show any substantial ties with the country.

I am still very much keen on moving to Australia and settling down there.
How do I apply to an RRV and ensure that it gets approved ?

Looking forward to some responses.

mohsinciddiki

Staff member
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20
Hi,

The Travel facility on my GSM 190 ( SA State Sponsored) PR recently expired, I have manged to live in Australia for only 8 months in the last 5 years and that too on 2 different occasions.
I do not have any employment ties, relatives and friends in OZ and hence unable to show any substantial ties with the country.

I am still very much keen on moving to Australia and settling down there.
How do I apply to an RRV and ensure that it gets approved ?

Looking forward to some responses.
It is difficult but not impossible, you need to show personal ties to Australia and if successful, you might be given 12 months visa. See detail for documents below:

Substantial ties of benefit to Australia documents

If you do not meet the residence requirement, you must provide documents that show evidence of your substantial ties. Your ties must be both substantial and of benefit to Australia.
Tell us, in a statement, how the ties are substantial and of benefit to Australia.
Attach documents showing your substantial ties to Australia to your application, or there will be delays in processing your application. Examples of documents you can attach are:

Business ties documents
  • company reports defining your role and authority
  • business transactions
  • partnership or joint venture agreements
  • contracts showing your signature
  • business or personal records.
Cultural ties documents
  • publications written by you
  • contracts
  • evidence of membership of cultural associations
  • newspaper articles about you
  • programs listing your artistic or cultural performances.
Employment ties documents
  • employment contracts
  • recent official documents such as group certificates
  • employee identification or security pass.
Personal ties documents
Substantial personal ties may be of benefit to Australia if the applicant is, or has been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy, and their ties enrich the lives of individual Australian residents and citizens.
Substantial personal ties may be that you regard Australia as home or have an intention to reside in Australia.
Proving substantial personal ties to Australia
Example situation Example documents
You have a history of long-term residence in Australia, spent your formative years in Australia or have spent a significant amount of time in Australia since first being granted a permanent visa. Utility bills, bank statements, travel record, permanent visa decision, school records
You have an Australian citizen partner or, in the case of a minor child, Australian citizen parent, who has previously lived in Australia. Copies of birth certificates, marriage or citizenship certificates of partners and children
You have one or more Australian citizen minor children living in Australia (including at boarding school) where no legal impediment to access exists. School reports, proof of residence of family home
You are returning to Australia after living overseas with your family unit, including Australian citizen minor children. Plane tickets, property purchase documents, school enrolments, moving receipts

It will take us longer to process your application if we need to ask you for more documents

Reactions: OZdownunder
MSA
2018-08-02
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
75/80
EOI
2018-08-17
Nom.
2018-11-11
Inv.
2018-11-11
App.
2018-12-22
CO
2019-03-27
PCC
2019-02-23
HC
2019-02-18
Grant
2019-06-03
IED
2020-02-20

OZdownunder

Timeline missing
It is difficult but not impossible, you need to show personal ties to Australia and if successful, you might be given 12 months visa. See detail for documents below:

Substantial ties of benefit to Australia documents

If you do not meet the residence requirement, you must provide documents that show evidence of your substantial ties. Your ties must be both substantial and of benefit to Australia.
Tell us, in a statement, how the ties are substantial and of benefit to Australia.
Attach documents showing your substantial ties to Australia to your application, or there will be delays in processing your application. Examples of documents you can attach are:

Business ties documents
  • company reports defining your role and authority
  • business transactions
  • partnership or joint venture agreements
  • contracts showing your signature
  • business or personal records.
Cultural ties documents
  • publications written by you
  • contracts
  • evidence of membership of cultural associations
  • newspaper articles about you
  • programs listing your artistic or cultural performances.
Employment ties documents
  • employment contracts
  • recent official documents such as group certificates
  • employee identification or security pass.
Personal ties documents
Substantial personal ties may be of benefit to Australia if the applicant is, or has been, a participating member of the Australian community and economy, and their ties enrich the lives of individual Australian residents and citizens.
Substantial personal ties may be that you regard Australia as home or have an intention to reside in Australia.
Proving substantial personal ties to Australia
Example situation Example documents
You have a history of long-term residence in Australia, spent your formative years in Australia or have spent a significant amount of time in Australia since first being granted a permanent visa. Utility bills, bank statements, travel record, permanent visa decision, school records
You have an Australian citizen partner or, in the case of a minor child, Australian citizen parent, who has previously lived in Australia. Copies of birth certificates, marriage or citizenship certificates of partners and children
You have one or more Australian citizen minor children living in Australia (including at boarding school) where no legal impediment to access exists. School reports, proof of residence of family home
You are returning to Australia after living overseas with your family unit, including Australian citizen minor children. Plane tickets, property purchase documents, school enrolments, moving receipts

It will take us longer to process your application if we need to ask you for more documents
Thank you Mohsinciddiki, I reall appreciate the information that you've shared, it has given me a ray of hope. Thank you again !!

Hitz

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi mohsinciddiki

I am in a similar situation, have been only for few weeks in Australia and was planning to migrate earlier this year, but the covid situation has messed up the plans. My must not arrive after date is Oct 2020.

Now I understand Australia also has limitations on the number of passengers who can enter per month. With the travel health hazards I am concerned traveling with the family, if I don't get OK to travel can it be considered as a reason for RRV?

In second scenario, if I travel alone before the expiry and assess the situation for few months, can I apply for RRV for my family who will be offshore (with expired travel date) and will it be accepted citing my presence in Australia? And how long will it take?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
So far, no official statement has been made (in my knowledge) that suggests DHA would consider that as a valid reason for RRV.

Hitz

Wanderer
Timeline missing
So far, no official statement has been made (in my knowledge) that suggests DHA would consider that as a valid reason for RRV.
Thanks mate, how about the second scenario, does that sound feasible?

In second scenario, if I travel alone before the expiry and assess the situation for few months, can I apply for RRV for my family who will be offshore (with expired travel date) and will it be accepted citing my presence in Australia? And how long will it take?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Again, no clear instruction is set on this. This is an exceptional situation, hence, they might allow different kinds of exemption. You need to directly ask DHA.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.