• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Guide SkillSelect Details for Skilled Independent (subclass 189) visa


Staff member

  • This points-based visa is for skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member.
  • A visa holder can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.
  • Certain family members can be included in the application.


Applications are by invitation only. To be invited to apply, a person must:

  • submit an Expression of Interest
  • have an occupation that is on the relevant skilled occupation list
  • have a suitable skills assessment for that occupation
  • be less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
  • meet the English language requirements
  • be able to score at least 60 on the points test.
Applying for this visa:

If you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to lodge your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the lodgment process you should follow. You can be in or outside Australia when you lodge your application.

Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.

If after receiving two invitations to apply for a visa you do not make a visa application your Expression of Interest will be removed from SkillSelect.

Lodge the application:

You must lodge your application online through SkillSelect. You must pay the initial application charge by credit card at this time.

A second charge, that applies only to dependants who are aged 18 years or older who are included on your application and who have less than functional English, is payable before a visa can be granted.

As part of lodging your application, you must confirm that you agree with the Australian Values Statement and have read, or had explained to you, the Life in Australia book.

Provide relevant documents:

You must provide documents that prove the claims you made in your Expression of Interest. These are identified and explained in the Document Checklist. This checklist also explains additional requirements and whether you need to provide original documents or certified copies.

Any document in a language other than English must be accompanied by an English translation that has been done by a translator who has been accredited by an organisation such as National Accreditation Authority for Translations and Interpreters (NAATI). Translations done by a translator not accredited by NAATI must include that person's full name, address, telephone number, and details of their qualifications and experience in the language being translated.

All supporting documents should be scanned and uploaded with your application.

The department will notify you if they need more information and/or documentation.

Include family members:

You can include the following family members in your visa application:

  • your partner
  • your or your partner's dependent child
  • your or your partner's dependent relative.
What the visa costs:

The charge for lodging this visa application is AUD3060. This payment covers you and all dependent family members included in your application.

There is an extra charge that applies only to the people on your application who have less than functional English and are 18 years of age or older. The charge is AUD4250 per person. It must be paid before a visa can be granted. The payment covers up to three years of English language instruction through the Adult Migrant English Program.

Proof of functional English explains how your dependants can demonstrate their language ability.

You are responsible for any other costs that you may incur in preparing your application, such as those associated with obtaining skills and English language assessments, health examinations and police certificates.

There are limited circumstances in which visa application charges can be refunded. You will not get a refund if you change your mind about applying.

Proof of functional English:

Proof that confirms a person's ability to communicate in English includes:

  • an International English Language Testing System (IELTS) average score of at least 4.5 for the four test components (speaking, reading, listening and writing)
  • an Occupational English Test score which is at least equivalent to an IELTS 4.5, and the test was relevant to the nominated occupation
  • the applicant's first language is English and they have a current passport from the United Kingdom, United States, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland
  • a positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia as having functional English
  • evidence of a trade, diploma or higher qualification awarded by an institution in or outside Australia which involved at least two years of full-time study and all instruction was in English
  • evidence of completion of at least one year of full-time or equivalent study in Australia for a diploma or higher qualification and all instruction was in English.

Source: http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillsele ... class-189/
Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.