• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

spouse in different country

bhanu_me

Timeline missing
Hello,

I am a naturalized US Citizen, regretting now. My spouse is in different country. I am tired of waiting for my wife here in USA because of immigration delay here. And I am thinking of moving to Australia instead so that I can be with my wife. As I said, my wife is in a different country (not US, but my native country), will it be difficult or cause issue when I apply for the immigrant visa for Australia? especially for my wife joining me. I wish I could go back to my native country if I had good opportunities but alas I am looking to move to another western country. Please advise.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
There should not be any issue as long as you have clean papers. Nowhere it mentions that your partner can't be from another country.

Having said that, I am not sure what do you mean by the term "naturalized", but if you have dual citizenship, you can apply with your native country's passport as well.

In any case, it won't affect your immigration decision.

bhanu_me

Timeline missing
Sorry, In USA, "naturalized citizen" is the one who becomes citizen by choice (not by birth). Consider like Naturalized citizen Vs. Native citizen.
I dont have dual citizenship; I had to abandon my old native passport after becoming US citizen (by laws of my native country).
In case, I do immigrate to Australia; will my wife join me immediately or is there some wait period too? We are already waiting too much separated. So, curious about that process. Thanks for the reply.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
When you apply for Australian Immigration, you should put your wife as your dependent applicant (so no separate application for her). In that case you both will receive your residency at the same time. Now the time requires to have the decision varies for different applications, mainly subject to the time taken for security clearance, but the application (for both of you) will be approved or rejected simultaneously.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.