• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Rules Sub Class 489 - Family Sponsored Visa

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
For Australian Immigration, there is a category if you have any certain relatives in Australia. This category, sub class 489, is similar to sub class 189, with an extra 10 added points for your relationship. However, there are some criteria to fulfill if you want to avail that opportunity. Below are, in brief, the terms and conditions of applying in sub class 489 - family sponsored visa.

Point Test:
You must score at least 60 points against points test factors to be eligible to be invited to apply for this visa. The scoring system is same as sub class 189 with added 10 points for your sponsor.

Who can sponsor:
A sponsor is an eligible relative for this visa if:
  • He is at least 18 years of age
  • He lives in a designated area of Australia
  • He is an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
The relative or the relative’s partner he (the sponsor) want to sponsor must be his (sponsor's):
  • child or stepchild
  • parent or step-parent
  • brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
  • grandparent or first cousin.
Designated Area:
The sponsor must be usually a resident in one of the designated areas.

Visa Duration:
This visa allows you and your family to:
  • stay in Australia for up to four years
  • travel in and out of Australia while the visa is valid

The Obligations:
  • You will be granted provisional visa, or Temporary Residence
  • You have to live/work/study the designated areas unless you convert it to Permanent Residency. This visa provides a pathway to permanent residence through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887).

Nadeesh

Commoner
MSA
2015-10-27
Skill
SC
190/189
Point
65/60
EOI
2016-12-04
Hi Mystic,

My wife's sister lives in Australia. Will she be considered as an eligible relative to sponsor me ?

As you have mentioned here, I must have 60 points to be able to apply for this visa. But I have only 55 points. In that case,
I won't be able to use this visa ?

Then I believe that the state nomination (190) is the only way for me to go forward. Please advice.

Ashish

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,

Can I include my spouse when applying for 489 Subclass ( Sponsor is my brother, who is in Melbourne)?
Will my spouse be getting temporary residency (through subclass 489) on the same application or only me?

Regards
Ashish Khanna

Nadeesh

Commoner
MSA
2015-10-27
Skill
SC
190/189
Point
65/60
EOI
2016-12-04
@ Marcos Albuquerque

Still I did n't get any invitation for my 190 EOIs. Therefore, I'm looking for the possibility of 489 visa, since my spouse's sister lives there.

According to the http://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/489-
information for the sponsor is as follows.

"The relative or the relative's partner you want to sponsor must be your:
  • child or stepchild
  • parent or step-parent
  • brother, sister, adoptive brother, adoptive sister, stepbrother, step sister, niece, nephew, adoptive niece, adoptive nephew, step niece, step nephew, aunt, uncle, adoptive aunt, adoptive uncle
  • grandparent or first cousin.
Your sponsor should provide certain documents as listed in the document checklist."

Since it has mentioned "relative's partner", am I eligible to be sponsored by my spouse's sister ?

Thanks.

Nadeesh

Commoner
MSA
2015-10-27
Skill
SC
190/189
Point
65/60
EOI
2016-12-04
@ MysticRiver - Good to hear that. But 489 visa is limited compare to 189 and 190, is n't it ? But how about the possibility of granting this visa compare to 189 and 190 ? I mean since someone has already sponsored to an applicant, will DIBP issue the invitation quickly ? Thanks.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
But 489 visa is limited compare to 189 and 190, is n't it ?
Very much. Basically you won't get PR, rather you'll get 4 years' temporary residence which you can apply to convert to PR after minimum of 2 years, through the Skilled-Regional (Residence) visa (subclass 887). You must have lived in a specified regional area of Australia for at least two years and worked full time in a specified regional area for at least one year before you can apply for PR through subclass 887.

But how about the possibility of granting this visa compare to 189 and 190 ?
Very difficult, specially with low points. The invitation for subclass 489 is only 5 per invitation round (that makes 10 per month), compared to 2200 in subclass 189 (ofcourse the number of the applicants is also high in 189). Moreover, the invitation in 489 will be sent only if there are not enough eligible candidates in subclass 189

DIBP said:
SkillSelect first allocates available places to Skilled – Independent (subclass 189) visas and then remaining to Skilled – Regional (subclass 489) (Provisional – Family Sponsored) visas. If all places are taken up by subclass 189 visas then there will be no invitations issued for subclass 489 visas in these occupations
I mean since someone has already sponsored to an applicant, will DIBP issue the invitation quickly ?
As explained above, quite opposite actually.

Samri

Wanderer
MSA
2016-03-22
SC
Visa 489
EOI
2016-03-22
Inv.
2016-03-22
App.
2016-04-14
Grant
2016-10-17
Hello,
The CO asked for a family chart showing the relationship between the sponsor and the main applicant( my partner). should we authenticate the block chart that we simply prepare on MS-word or can we just attach it to the CO as it is?

Regards,

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
May be they would want it to be notarized. If your CO didn't mention (to notarize), you can take a chance sending a plain document (if he ask later, you can resend the notarized version :)).

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
if you claim someone as your "adoptive brother", you should provide some evidence ofcourse.

Nad

Timeline missing
I want to sponsor my close friend for 489 as my "adoprtive brother", do i need to get any additional document from court or police or just to fill the Skilled Regional (class SP) 489 (provisional) visa sponsor declaration ?
if you claim someone as your "adoptive brother", you should provide some evidence ofcourse.
So, what sort of evidence should i need to show - court declaration from a justice of peace or what. Please, suggest what's best ?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea, you should check witj relevant authority. But as you can understand, if no evidence was required, bad people would start a business out of it.

Samri

Wanderer
MSA
2016-03-22
SC
Visa 489
EOI
2016-03-22
Inv.
2016-03-22
App.
2016-04-14
Grant
2016-10-17
Hello,

I am being assessed under 489 category with My defacto partner. My partners aunt is our sponsor. We had our what seems to be last CO contact a week ago. Now , while we are waiting for the answers, we are planning to make our relationship formal and get married here.
Our question is, if we get married before visa grant, will this affect our nature of visa application in anyway?

Heitor Fleury

Timeline missing
Hello.
I sent all my documents to VETASSES to valid my job as an Agricultural Consultant - 234111 in 21 October.
I´m 28 years old, 4 years of experience and bacharel in Agronomy : 50 points in total.
For me, get 10 point in PTE or IELTS is almost impossible because I didn´t get 6.0 or 50 yet.
So I would like aplicate to visa 489, to get 10 points of State Sponsor.

I would like to know how is my real chance to be invited with this 489 VISA with just 60 points being Agricultural Consultant.
I my research around the sites I didn´t see other people applicating for this Agricultural Consultant.

Thanks, Mystic!!!

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.