General Teachers: 'Registration or Licensing May Be Required'

rick2020

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Dear Community,

I understand that teachers have to go through the AITSL Skills Assessment, which is self-explanatory. I am an Australian graduate and have all my documents in order. However, what I am not clear on is the registration or licensing that is required. I understand that each state has its own teacher registration body.

Does this mean that if we are applying for a 190 for a particular state, that we must already be registered as a teacher in that state..? Or, are they merely suggesting that registration is required to secure a job once you are in the country?

If it is required before the visa application, then one must get their teacher registration for each state that they are trying for. Would love to hear from anyone that's gone down this route.

Thank you.

rick2020

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Dear Community,

I understand that teachers have to go through the AITSL Skills Assessment, which is self-explanatory. I am an Australian graduate and have all my documents in order. However, what I am not clear on is the registration or licensing that is required. I understand that each state has its own teacher registration body.

Does this mean that if we are applying for a 190 for a particular state, that we must already be registered as a teacher in that state..? Or, are they merely suggesting that registration is required to secure a job once you are in the country?

If it is required before the visa application, then one must get their teacher registration for each state that they are trying for. Would love to hear from anyone that's gone down this route.

Thank you.

I apologise. I must add that I am not onshore, and all my experience has been offshore since graduation. @MysticRiver - any advice on this? Thank you.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I am not sure, but the criteria may vary from state to state. My guess would be, states, where additional steps are necessary, e.g., QLD where you need BSMQ, there is a possibility of such requirement (in-state license). But as I said, I am not sure.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
More or less, but you have to confirm that from states' websites.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.