General The validity of subclass 189 and 190 Visa

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
To whom it may concern:

If you receive your PR in subclass 189 and 190, all you need to do is to make the first entry (even if for an hour) to Australia within the mentioned time period (it'll be mentioned in your grant letter).

After that, it will entitle you to
  • Stay forever in Australia with this visa (yes, forever, not 5 years)
  • Leave and re-enter Australia anytime within 5 years of your grant date
  • After 5 years, you won't be able to enter Australia (if you are abroad). However, you can happily live ever-after with this visa if you don't leave Australia (I am pretty sure you can get your citizenship way before "ever-after")
  • If you don't have your citizenship within 5 years, and you need to leave Australia due to any reason after 5 years period, you need to apply for a resident return visa to come back to Australia
So, it's like, your Visa is valid forever, but the door to Australia will be closed for you after 5 years, unless you change your visa type.

MNG2020

Wanderer
MSA
2016-03-26
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-11-18
Inv.
2016-11-24
App.
2016-11-30
PCC
2016-12-08
HC
2016-11-30
Grant
2017-02-20
Hi,
What is the condition to make a PR return visa?

MSA
2016-03-26
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2016-11-18
Inv.
2016-11-24
App.
2016-11-30
PCC
2016-12-08
HC
2016-11-30
Grant
2017-02-20

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Like wise, I actually gave the best possible answer :D
Dear Rakshanda,

I have few questions pertaining to RRV visa.

1. Can someone apply for RRV, while not on the job. For e.g, he/she is working on a contract job in his 4th year and job contact will expire 2 months before or after the end of 5th year
2. If someone has an emergency and have to be out of Australia, he will leave 1-3 months before the end of 5th year and plan to return 1 or 2 months after the finishing of 5th year. In this case, can he apply for RRV, while he is away from Australia, from his abroad country?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
1. Anyone can apply for RRV anytime no matter he has a job or not, but if he has a job, the RRV success is almost guaranteed.
2. For RRV visa
DIBP said:
You can apply online right now, without providing any documents, if:
  • you are a permanent resident
  • you have resided in Australia for a total of at least 2 years within the last 5 years
  • your name and date of birth have not changed since grant of your last visa.

1. Anyone can apply for RRV anytime no matter he has a job or not, but if he has a job, the RRV success is almost guaranteed.
2. For RRV visa
Thanks for the clarification, @MysticRiver I guess, it takes 15 days max to obtain RRV visa, correct me if I am wrong.

So, post completion of 2 year stay, one can apply for RRV, which will get auto-activated after 5 years?

Last, can someone apply for RRV from overseas, if they stay after 5th year but had to go overseas for emergency/work, can they?

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the clarification, @MysticRiver I guess, it takes 15 days max to obtain RRV visa, correct me if I am wrong.
There is nothing like "maximum processing time" when it comes to immigration. As per last month's statistics, maximum processing times were 4 days for fastest 75% applications, 21 days for next 15%, more than 21 days for rest 10%.
https://www.border.gov.au/about/acc...ards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

So, post completion of 2 year stay, one can apply for RRV, which will get auto-activated after 5 years?
I have never seen anyone applied for RRV so early. Usually they do it at the end, after there 5 years is finished.

Last, can someone apply for RRV from overseas, if they stay after 5th year but had to go overseas for emergency/work, can they?
I think if your 5 year period is finished, you should apply RRV before you leave the country because, even if it is possible (Which I am not sure), there is no guarantee that your RRV will be granted. I have seen cases where RRV were rejected.

There is nothing like "maximum processing time" when it comes to immigration. As per last month's statistics, maximum processing times were 4 days for fastest 75% applications, 21 days for next 15%, more than 21 days for rest 10%.
https://www.border.gov.au/about/acc...ards/global-visa-citizenship-processing-times

I have never seen anyone applied for RRV so early. Usually they do it at the end, after there 5 years is finished.

I think if your 5 year period is finished, you should apply RRV before you leave the country because, even if it is possible (Which I am not sure), there is no guarantee that your RRV will be granted. I have seen cases where RRV were rejected.
Oh, I see☺️ May I ask you to please brief on little, what cases got their RRV rejected!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I know a case where the applicant came to AU at the 4/4.5 years mark, then applied for RRV once 5 years is finished. The RRV was rejected. I don't know any details, but most likely he was not employed and could not give a strong reason why he did not come to Australia in first 4/4.5 years.

I know a case where the applicant came to AU at the 4/4.5 years mark, then applied for RRV once 5 years is finished. The RRV was rejected. I don't know any details, but most likely he was not employed and could not give a strong reason why he did not come to Australia in first 4/4.5 years.
Guess, late entry was the culprit here. Thanks for all the info☺️

Hi, Could you share your thoughts what are the reason considered as strong reason generally ? Thanks.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, Could you share your thoughts what are the reason considered as strong reason generally ? Thanks.
The easiest one is to have a job or enroll in a course. Or you can show your tie to Australia such as children's school etc.

To whom it may concern:

If you receive your PR in subclass 189 and 190, all you need to do is to make the first entry (even if for an hour) to Australia within the mentioned time period (it'll be mentioned in your grant letter).

After that, it will entitle you to
  • Stay forever in Australia with this visa (yes, forever, not 5 years)
  • Leave and re-enter Australia anytime within 5 years of your grant date
  • After 5 years, you won't be able to enter Australia (if you are abroad). However, you can happily live ever-after with this visa if you don't leave Australia (I am pretty sure you can get your citizenship way before "ever-after")
  • If you don't have your citizenship within 5 years, and you need to leave Australia due to any reason after 5 years period, you need to apply for a resident return visa to come back to Australia
So, it's like, your Visa is valid forever, but the door to Australia will be closed for you after 5 years, unless you change your visa type.

I have secured a NSW state sponsored subclass 190 visa. I plan to make my validation trip in March (short 10 day trip), however i have one query. Do i need to enter Australia through Sydney (NSW) only or can I enter through Melbourne (VIC) as well? Reason i ask is, i plan to spend these 10 days with family in Melbourne and not necessarily visit Sydney.

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Deepak

Me_Min

Commoner
MSA
2018-07-25
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-10-30
Inv.
2018-11-01
App.
2018-11-03
CO
2019-01-11
PCC
2018-08-09
HC
2018-09-20
Grant
2019-03-06
IED
2019-08-30
I have secured a NSW state sponsored subclass 190 visa. I plan to make my validation trip in March (short 10 day trip), however i have one query. Do i need to enter Australia through Sydney (NSW) only or can I enter through Melbourne (VIC) as well? Reason i ask is, i plan to spend these 10 days with family in Melbourne and not necessarily visit Sydney.

Will appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Deepak
I think 190 is for employment and settling for about 2 years in the state which sponsored you. If it's for making initial entry, any city is good enough.

MSA
2018-07-25
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-10-30
Inv.
2018-11-01
App.
2018-11-03
CO
2019-01-11
PCC
2018-08-09
HC
2018-09-20
Grant
2019-03-06
IED
2019-08-30

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
the 5 year countdown begins from PR grant date or IED date?
Grant date.

Also the 2 years stay requirement for RRV has to be last 2 years or any 2 years of the 5 year block period?
Any 2 years. Btw, 2 years stay is not mandatory, you can still get RRV if you stayed less than that. It's just that you'll get 12 months' RRV in that case provided you have a job or other links to Australia, and the processing may take a few days.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.