• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Timelines, points, EOI, visa related FAQ

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
There have been lots of questions regarding tentative timelines for invitation/visa processing. I thought it'd be helpful to summarize all of these:
  • The expected time frame for getting an invitation is very tough to predict. Generally if you have 65 points or more in subclass 189 or 190 (including state sponsorship points), you have a good chance of getting an invitation very early. With 60 points, it's rather difficult and inconsistent to comment. Some of the points to remember in this regard:
    • Your skill occupation has a big role in the decision. The system of queuing is done per occupation basis. That means it is possible (and very common case) that some people of Occupation A get invitation with 60 points whereas people in Occupation B waits relatively longer even with 65 points. Unfortunately DIBP only publishes statistics of overall invitation (not per occupation basis), hence make it very difficult to forecast about any certain occupation.
    • In subclass 190, your intended state also has a good say in this topic. In some states you have more chance of getting invited earlier than other, mainly because of variable invitation quota and demand. So it is recommended that you submit EOI for multiple states if you don't have a strong affinity for a certain state.
  • You can submit as many EOI as you like, in as many subclasses as you want. Just don't accept multiple invitations.
  • After getting invitation, your EOI will be locked. In that stage if you discover something that you've missed in your EOI or made some trivial mistakes, you should be okay to proceed as long as the mistakes don't alter your point structure.
  • Once you get invited, your point will not have any impact in your Visa decision and processing time.
  • The processing time varies a lot without any bound. Though the official timeline for subclass 189 decreased from 18 months to 3 months in recent times while maintaining 3 months for subclass 190, it really varies with your situation and DIBP is not liable to maintain that timeline. The main time consuming parts is your background security check and you country of origin plays the most important role in this regard. I personally have seen a delay of 2 months to 2 years before the PR is granted.
  • Once you will be granted the PR, you'll be given a certain period to have your first entry. You have to enter Australia, even if for one hour, by that deadline. This deadline again varies a lot, most probably linked with the validation of your health clearance. Personally I have seen in the range of 6 days to 1 year.
  • For subclass 190, you are expected to live and work in your sponsored state for the initial two years of your stay. There is no requirement that this 2 year period has to be continuous. You can leave Australia anytime if you want, and come back later. It requires you to stay 2 years (365*2 days) accumulated stay in your sponsored state before you move to other states. Also, this doesn't bar you from giving a short trip to other state. Furthermore, this rule is not followed very intensely, that is if you fail to find a job in your state, most probably nobody will prevent you to get a job inter-state. However, during the citizenship application, there is a possibility that it might be asked.
  • A very common misconception is the validity of PR. The validity of PR itself is indefinite which means you can stay rest of your life in Australia with this Visa. However your entry permit will be expired in 5 years from the day of the grant. That means, let say you have your PR granted on 1st March 2016. Then if you need to leave Australia after 1st March 2021, you won't be allowed to re-enter Australia with this Visa (you have to apply for Resident Return Visa in such case, which is not always very easy to get approved). However it is possible that you enter 28th Feb 2021 (the last day of your entry permit validity) and live Australia happily ever after without leaving the country (until you get citizenship).

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Yup .. I know several cases where RRV were rejected. However, all of those cases were the immigrants started living in Australia at the tail end of 5 years (so may be shifted permanently after 4 years or so). In those cases there is higher probability that RRV will be rejected unless you can present some strong valid reason for living abroad that long.

In case you actually are living in Australia but for some reason didn't receive citizenship, there should be a bright chance of getting RRV.

In any case, I would always suggest to go for citizenship as soon as you become eligible.

Timeline missing
Mystic,

It's been a month since I lodged my visa application and I am aware there is no way to see if CO has been allocated unless the CO asks for documents OR receive an email from DIBP saying that a CO has been allocated/assigned... My question is: Do you know how often people receive DIBP email saying a CO is allocated (from your own or other friends' previous experience) ?
My guess is: My app is being verified already or no CO has been allocated. This seems obvious I know, I just wanted to know if I'll mostly probably receive any "CO assigned" mail or not. :)
I do not have a chance to receive a direct grant because will have to pay the 2nd VAC instalment anyway even if everything go smoother. Well, let's see- this waiting game is killing me. :rolleyes:

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Yaa, the whole processing period is really annoying, even after CO allocation. If you email them, you will get a generic reply that they are trying for everybody to finish asap and they are not in a position to forecast. The basic issue is lack of tracking of the progress. You are being impatient in 1 month, so think of people who waited for 2 years without any update (I have many friends with such experience). It's like the whole world is sleeping forever, suddenly one day you received your prize from the sky !

mahmoud

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Dear Sir,

I have one question / inquiry here , God grace I have received my invitation this week :):) , I am writing this message just to inquire about one point , now I am on process filling up my visa application , just want to inquire if I did not include my family on this application what is the process and cost to invite them later on after getting my PR ?

Really appreciate your usual support .

Br,
Mahmoud

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
What did you mean by "not include family in application"? Did you mean not including them as your dependents? If you have any dependents, you should add them either as secondary applicants (if you want them to migrate with you) or non-migrating dependents (if they don't want to apply for PR now). If they are not included as secondary applicants, and later (after your grant) decide to apply for PR, they have to file separate application.

This thread has a discussion regarding this issue, you can go through

http://www.migrationdesk.com/thread...cants-from-visa-application.41510/#post-42871

mahmoud

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Thanks sir for you reply , what I meant is that I will just ad them as non-migrant dependents but I am planning to call them to come to Australia once I got the PR,,, so what is the process for that ?

Again thanks a lot for your efforts and time.

Regards,

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
They have to submit a separate visa application as your dependent. I don't exactly remember the subclass for that. If you want to apply for their PR immediate after your PR, I'd suggest to add them in your application as secondary applicants.

mahmoud

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Thanks boss for your reply ,, I am just afraid if they may refuse my application,, as I am claiming points for my skilled employment for whole my 9 years experience (so I got 15 points) I have added the years which has been deducted by ACS , one of my friend did the same and the CO has accepted his case and he already got his PR and landed, so I thought to try the same.

I will let you know abut my adventure :rolleyes: ,, hopefully will be succeed I am very optimist:) ,,

Regards,
Mahmoud

Ashish

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hi,

I am planning to apply for visa subclass 189 in which I want to include my spouse as well. But I have some doubts regarding this:

1) Is it mandatory to have 60 points for her as well to lodge the application for PR?
2) Whether my spouse will be getting PR along with me in first go or she will be granted some kind of provisional visa that will later on be converted to PR?

Regards

Ashish

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
If you include your partner as secondary applicant in your visa application, both of you will get the PR at the same time. Your partner doesn't need to meet any criteria except:
  • Your partner needs to score overall 4.5 in IELTS (or similar). If not, then you have to pay extra $4900 (approx.) As secondary application fee.
  • Your partner needs to meet certain criteria only if you want to claim extra 5 points for partners skill.
Check below 2 links for above two special cases.

http://migrationdesk.com/threads/fees-and-charges-for-general-skilled-migration.41404/

http://migrationdesk.com/threads/claiming-points-for-partner-skills.41419/

chetan chavda

Timeline missing
Hi Experts,

I lodge my visa file for ANZ Code 234313 under subclass 489 SS QLD on Dec 2015. CO allocated 14 Jan 2016, All documents submitted 30th March 2016, Employer verification done April 2016 but still waiting for visa so please anybody suggest me how much time it will take to grant? somebody said me it will grant after July 2016 is it right? Please provide me way

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Nobody can tell anything certain about how long it might take, except your CO (who won't tell you either). It's always a waiting game, for some people 1/2 months, for some people 1/2 years.

jas

Timeline missing
Hi,

I have submitted my application for 190 visa. You have mentioned that "Though the official timeline for subclass 189 decreased from 18 months to 3 months in recent times while maintaining 3 months for subclass 190, it really varies with your situation and DIBP is not liable to maintain that timeline."
Does that mean its going to take more than 3 months? 2 of my friends who applied for 189 got grant within the time period of just 2 months.

Thank you.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
It can, mainly depends on how long your security check will take. The 3 months time line is based on probability, but there has been exception everywhere.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.