SA Transfer of Overseas Driver's Licence

For those who are coming to Australia on either temporary or permanent resident visa, below are the conditions with which you can drive with Overseas Licence and procedure to convert overseas licence.

Note: The rules, regulations and procedures mentioned below are for South Australia. But most of the states have a similar procedure.

for temporary residents (457, 482, 489 etc) & visitors

You can drive with your overseas driver's licence for the same class of vehicle (except a motorcycle) for the entire period of stay.
If it is not in English, an English translation along with IDP is required.
If the licence expires while you are in Australia and unable to renew it, you need to apply for an Australian drivers licence. (How to apply, see below)^^
you can also convert this at any time, if you wish to. (How to apply, see below)^^

for Permanent Residents

If you don't have an overseas licence, you need to get a Learner's permit and then advance through Provisional licences P1 & P2 until you get a full licence. the whole process to get a full licence will take almost 2-3 years with a lot of restrictions while holding Learners and Provisional licences.

If you have an overseas license you need to get it converted to Australia Licence.
( you have 90 days to get this transferred, with an extension period of 90 more days. Beyond this, you need to start with the learner's permit)
90 days will be counted from the day you arrived Australia (
exceptions apply as in TAS, where it is counted from the date of visa grant) or the date of visa grant, whichever is later.

^^How to convert Overseas Licence to Australia Licence?

from recognised countries: If your overseas licence is issued from the list of recognised countries (see the list of countries in respective state website), you can directly convert them to Australian full licence by paying a fee. (no need to appear for any test)
This is applicable for the licence to drive a car or motorcycle. For all other vehicles, a practical driving test needs to be taken.

from other countries: If your overseas license is issued NOT from the list of recognised countries, below are the procedure (this is also applicable to those in temporary visa who wish to convert to Australia licence).

-->Go to the respective centre in each state (In South Australia, it is Service SA) and attend the learner's test.
-->Once you pass the learner's test you will be provided with a Temporary Driving Permit (TDP) which is valid for 3 months. This TDP effectively cancels your power to drive in Australia with your overseas licence. So once TDP is issued, you should pass the driving test within the TDP expiry period or need to go through learners licence path, which takes 2-3 years to get a full licence.)
-->Do the driving test (VORT or CBT&A)** and pass the test.
-->Attend the Hazard Perception Test.
--> Get the full Licence..!!

#you can do the mock tests on Learners & Hazard perception online to have an idea, how the questions are asked. (not very tough)

**VORT or CBT&A

you can choose either of these methods based on your confidence and convenience.

VORT
pros:
A single test. if you pass, you will get the full licence.
You can take as many tests until you pass ( with a gap of 3 days between each test)
If you are very confident and an experienced driver, this comes really cheap ( approx.$230 for each test, so you can pass in 1-3 tests)

Cons:
The result is either pass or fail.
You need to obey 100% rules and regulations (and some crazy procedures)during the test. (test lasts for 45 min to 60 min).
There are 5 'immediate fail items' (IFI) which will make you fail before completing the entire test. (people have failed within 1 minute of commencement of test due to IFI)
You need to score at least 90% in the test.
If it extends to more than 7 tests, it's going to be more expensive than the CBT-A method.

CBT&A (Competency-based test training and assessment) or Log book method
pros:
No pass or fail result.
This is an assessment along with training so you will get the competency to drive while training.
Your training instructor (if he is a qualified examiner) can examine you during the training lessons to complete 30 tasks.
Once you successfully perform 30 tasks (which is entered in logbook) the instructor will give you a competency certificate.
You can be sure that you get the licence before the TDP expires.

Cons:
Time-consuming, need some 12-15 classes (1.5 hours each) at least to complete. (some experienced drivers can complete in 8-10 classes).
Costly- $110-150 per lesson, roughly the total cost is around $1500 or more.
If you change your instructor, you need to demonstrate the tasks again to the new instructor.

VORT or CBT&A?? :
Well, this purely depends on your skill and confidence. if you are a seasoned driver, go with VORT.
It is advised to go for at least 3 driving classes (VORT preparation class) to know about the test and procedures to follow.

If you are still in a learning stage or an occasional driver, better go with CBT&A, which also improve your driving skills.
Note: Most of the driving schools will push you to go with CBT&A as this will bring more money to them.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH VORT

I have 6+ years of experience in driving back in India (Bangalore & Kerala) and past 1 year in Australia. So thought of taking VORT.
I did two practice lessons, 1 hour each and got an idea about the test and the procedures to be followed for each manoeuvre.
My instructor insisted me to come to two more classes, but I told him that I couldn't, because of some travel plans.

VORT TEST-1: FAILED
Reason: Sped 52 kmph on a 50 zone. & didn't indicate for 5 sec while driving off from the kerb. (indicated 4.32 sec, in stopwatch :muted: )
Both are immediate fail items and I did them back to back. :):) Test terminated half way. $230 :banghead:

VORT TEST-2: PASSED with 96% score.

Please feel free to ask here any query regarding the driving licence conversion in South Australia, I will try my best to give all possible information.

Good Luck.!

As my indian driving license is less than 1 year old can i get full driving license in Adelaide.

PK-Adelaide

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
For those who are coming to Australia on either temporary or permanent resident visa, below are the conditions with which you can drive with Overseas Licence and procedure to convert overseas licence.

Note: The rules, regulations and procedures mentioned below are for South Australia. But most of the states have a similar procedure.

You can drive with your overseas driver's licence for the same class of vehicle (except a motorcycle) for the entire period of stay.
If the licence expires while you are in Australia and unable to renew it, you need to apply for an Australian drivers licence. (How to apply, see below)^^
you can also convert this at any time, if you wish to. (How to apply, see below)^^

for Permanent Residents

If you don't have an overseas licence, you need to get a Learner's permit and then advance through Provisional licences P1 & P2 until you get a full licence. the whole process to get a full licence will take almost 2-3 years with a lot of restrictions while holding Learners and Provisional licences.

If you have an overseas license you need to get it converted to Australia Licence.
( you have 90 days to get this transferred, with an extension period of 90 more days. Beyond this, you need to start with the learner's permit)
exceptions apply as in TAS, where it is counted from the date of visa grant) or the date of visa grant, whichever is later.

from recognised countries: If your overseas licence is issued from the list of recognised countries (see the list of countries in respective state website), you can directly convert them to Australian full licence by paying a fee. (no need to appear for any test)
This is applicable for the licence to drive a car or motorcycle. For all other vehicles, a practical driving test needs to be taken.

from other countries: If your overseas license is issued NOT from the list of recognised countries, below are the procedure (this is also applicable to those in temporary visa who wish to convert to Australia licence).

-->Go to the respective centre in each state (In South Australia, it is Service SA) and attend the learner's test.
-->Once you pass the learner's test you will be provided with a Temporary Driving Permit (TDP) which is valid for 3 months. This TDP effectively cancels your power to drive in Australia with your overseas licence. So once TDP is issued, you should pass the driving test within the TDP expiry period or need to go through learners licence path, which takes 2-3 years to get a full licence.)

#you can do the mock tests on Learners & Hazard perception online to have an idea, how the questions are asked. (not very tough)

**VORT or CBT&A

you can choose either of these methods based on your confidence and convenience.

VORT
pros:
You can take as many tests until you pass ( with a gap of 3 days between each test)
If you are very confident and an experienced driver, this comes really cheap ( approx.$230 for each test, so you can pass in 1-3 tests)

Cons:
You need to obey 100% rules and regulations (and some crazy procedures)during the test. (test lasts for 45 min to 60 min).
There are 5 'immediate fail items' (IFI) which will make you fail before completing the entire test. (people have failed within 1 minute of commencement of test due to IFI)
If it extends to more than 7 tests, it's going to be more expensive than the CBT-A method.

pros:
No pass or fail result.
This is an assessment along with training so you will get the competency to drive while training.
Your training instructor (if he is a qualified examiner) can examine you during the training lessons to complete 30 tasks.
Once you successfully perform 30 tasks (which is entered in logbook) the instructor will give you a competency certificate.

Cons:
Time-consuming, need some 12-15 classes (1.5 hours each) at least to complete. (some experienced drivers can complete in 8-10 classes).
If you change your instructor, you need to demonstrate the tasks again to the new instructor.

VORT or CBT&A?? :
Well, this purely depends on your skill and confidence. if you are a seasoned driver, go with VORT.
It is advised to go for at least 3 driving classes (VORT preparation class) to know about the test and procedures to follow.

If you are still in a learning stage or an occasional driver, better go with CBT&A, which also improve your driving skills.
Note: Most of the driving schools will push you to go with CBT&A as this will bring more money to them.

MY EXPERIENCE WITH VORT

I have 6+ years of experience in driving back in India (Bangalore & Kerala) and past 1 year in Australia. So thought of taking VORT.
I did two practice lessons, 1 hour each and got an idea about the test and the procedures to be followed for each manoeuvre.
My instructor insisted me to come to two more classes, but I told him that I couldn't, because of some travel plans.

Reason: Sped 52 kmph on a 50 zone. & didn't indicate for 5 sec while driving off from the kerb. (indicated 4.32 sec, in stopwatch :muted: )
Both are immediate fail items and I did them back to back. :):) Test terminated half way. $230 :banghead:

Please feel free to ask here any query regarding the driving licence conversion in South Australia, I will try my best to give all possible information.

Good Luck.!
After failing your VORT, could you still apply SA full driving licence? Thanks

PK-Adelaide

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
After failing your VORT, could you still apply SA full driving licence? Thanks

It's OK to fail any number of times during the 6 (3+3) months period of Temporary Drivers Permit (TDP). If you fail a VORT you can re-do it again after 3 days.

You need to pass it before the expiry of TDP

MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07

Vicat

Timeline missing
Thank you for the thorough introdution! You said in your post that '90 days will be counted from the day you arrived Australia', I arrived one week ago. Now because of the coronavirus, I won't be able to take the tests very soon, so I don't think I can complete the tests in 90 days...
Just want to make sure that 90 days starts on the day you arrive or starts on the day you take your theory test?

PK-Adelaide

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
Just want to make sure that 90 days starts on the day you arrive or starts on the day you take your theory test?

You need to apply for Temporary Driver Permit ( TDP) within 90 days of your arrival. Validity of TDP is 90 days which can be extended for 90 more days.

So if you apply for TDP on 89th day of your arrival, you will effectively get 180 days ( 90 +90 ) more from that date.

MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
I have one question if my indian license is 2 years old. Can i apply for full australian license. I checked the South Australian website. It does not mention anything like that but in other states it does
If it is not expired, yes you can apply for full SA License... you need to pass the Learners, VORT & Hazard perception test. Please read the previous messages for details.

PK-Adelaide

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
I have one question if my indian license is 2 years old. Can i apply for full australian license. I checked the South Australian website. It does not mention anything like that but in other states it does

Yes. you can apply, if you are above 20 years old.

MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07

PK-Adelaide

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
MSA
2018-11-07
Skill
SC
190(SA)
Point
EOI
2019-01-07
Inv.
2019-01-21
App.
2019-01-23
PCC
2019-01-29
HC
2019-02-01
Grant
2019-09-07
Hey,
So I have taken the VORT 2 times.
First time I failed because of a right turn at signal. And I touched the line marking.

Second time... I still feel I didn't do anything wrong. I was turning into lane from the side lane. And the guy behind.me was speeding. And I was just picking up my speed. I failed because I caused an obstacle and made the guy behind me break. I don't understand how it's my fault if he is speeding.

So I was wondering are the instructor extra hard on international drivers?

And also any opinion if I should retake the VORT and do CBT.

Feeling very low after the second fail.

I thought I was a confident driver. I have ad experience in India and in australia.

Please advise me

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
I failed because I caused an obstacle and made the guy behind me break. I don't understand how it's my fault if he is speeding.
I think the point is, when you are coming out of a curb, it's your responsibility to judge if it is safe to do so. If someone is speeding, albeit he can be punished for his wrongdoing, but that doesn't allow you to ignore the danger. You have to adapt to any change, unless someone did something unpredictable (e.g., run over a red light).

So I was wondering are the instructor extra hard on international drivers?
I don't think so, they are as hard as they are with a teen-driver. But of course, the level of scrutiny varies with different instructors.

And also any opinion if I should retake the VORT and do CBT.
VORT can be challenging, CBT can be expensive.

Feeling very low after the second fail.
I always thing driving test is a mix of expertise and luck. If you watch regular driver on the road, you will say people doing minor/major mistakes every now and then. So, two-times failing doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad driver, just that you need to be extra careful and hope for a little luck during VORT.

for Permanent Residents

**VORT or CBT&A

VORT
pros:

Cons:

pros:
No pass or fail result.

Cons:

VORT or CBT&A?? :

MY EXPERIENCE WITH VORT

Good Luck.!
Hi, my temporary permit will expire on 26/02. I have failed the VORT twice, and a third test is booked on 26/02 (the exact day when my permit will expire). In this situation, am I still allowed to get an extension of my temporary permit? Thanks.

Y

Yash kaushik

Assessment is by Engineers Australia and it has nothing to do with the state.

SA will nominate an Engineering Technologist ( Supplimentry skill list) only if the special conditions are met. (please see the migrationsa website for more details)

https://www.migration.sa.gov.au/skilled-migrants/nomination-process/skilled-nomination-requirements

Engineering technologist covers a wide spectrum of engineers which not not essentially doing all the activities of a main stream engineer.
My exact role is mechanical simulation engineer which is a combined field of Mechanical/Industrial/Production. But i am not specifically doing any of these, so assessed as an Engineering Technologist.
What all jobs can i do as a engineering technologist ?
What are the job specifications for an engineering technologist or relevent which are needed in south australia.

for Permanent Residents

**VORT or CBT&A

VORT
pros:

Cons:

pros:
No pass or fail result.

Cons:

VORT or CBT&A?? :

MY EXPERIENCE WITH VORT

Good Luck.!
Hello,

I got my overseas( India) licence issued in 2014. I just completed my driving lessons in driving school car as I din have my own car to get my driving licence. Then I moved to some other location n never driven any car. In 2018 we moved to Australia ( Adelaide) on work visa n there was no plan to apply for PR visa and purchasing car. In 2020, we thought

for Permanent Residents

**VORT or CBT&A

VORT
pros:

Cons:

pros:
No pass or fail result.

Cons:

VORT or CBT&A?? :

MY EXPERIENCE WITH VORT

Good Luck.!

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.