• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Urgent Advice Required Incase of a Possible Divorce Next Year

mandarmm

Timeline missing
Hi,
My friend and his wife have been married for over 11 years now. They are currently on a 489 visa in Australia. Both are currently working, and would complete 2 years of employment there in a few months. Unfortunately, they have decided to part ways and file for a Divorce.

I had two important questions:

01. Can the wife (who is the dependent) and the husband (main applicant) both apply for 887 as individuals after 2 years of minimum stay & full-time working requirements?

02. After the divorce, is there a Ban of 5 years for next marriage, or sponsoring a new partner/spouse in Australia?

I would really appreciate if someone could share their expertise, or experience in this situation.

Not able to find this info on any of the Forums.

Please help!

JanithaR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-02-22
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
65/70
EOI
2018-04-21
01. Can the wife (who is the dependent) and the husband (main applicant) both apply for 887 as individuals after 2 years of minimum stay & full-time working requirements?

As far as my knowledge goes (which I gathered from this very forum) for 887 it does not matter whether you were the primary applicant or dependant as long as you've completed the requirements as a 489 visa holder.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Can the wife (who is the dependent) and the husband (main applicant) both apply for 887 as individuals after 2 years of minimum stay & full-time working requirements?
Yes

After the divorce, is there a Ban of 5 years for next marriage, or sponsoring a new partner/spouse in Australia?
No such thing in my knowledge, especially when they have been married since long before they applied for 489.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.