praveen

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Few more questions.

1) Within how many months after getting the PR, we should make a port of entry in aus.
2) For how many years is the PR valid.
3) What is the miminum stay period to extend the PR.
4) If we fail to meet the mininum stay period within PR validity, do we need to start from the begining again to apply for PR.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
1. It varies. At the time of grant, DIBP will let you know the exact date before which you need to make an entry. Generally it varies from 6 months to 1 year. However, I have seen a case where they gave 6 days only. Most probably it relates to the validity of your medical.

2. PR is valid for lifetime, however you can't make an entry after 5 years (so you can enter australia after 4.99 yrs and live forever, provided that you made the port entry).

3. There is no extension of PR, per se. You will be eligible to apply for citizenship after 4 years of your port entry provided that you meet the criteria
http://www.migrationdesk.com/threads/australian-citizenship.97/

4. If you have to leave Australia after 5 years without a citizenship, you have to apply for resident return visa, otherwise you won't be able to re-enter. Resident return visa is not a straight forward thing, you have to convince them with a good reason why you failed to stay in Aus. There have been several cases of rejection, as per my knowledge.

praveen

Wanderer
Timeline missing
thanks for reply

Your reply has put me dilemma whether to accept and pay for visa or do otherwise.

Aus software job market has always been very dull.

I dont think i want to do any other job for living.

What do u suggest mystic river, plz deliver me from this dilemma.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this is something you have to decide yourself upon discussing with your partner and your friends in local industry.

praveen

Wanderer
Timeline missing
hi

My kid has a valid PR, but we did not take her with us for the port of entry, inconsideration that she was infant and it would be very complicated to handle her for a very short trip.

But now i want to take her along with us, to whom i should write inorder to get the approval for the same.

Regards
sendmk

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
According to the latest response from DIBP, it doesn't matter anymore if someone fails to enter Australia within IED. Check the following post for details
https://www.migrationdesk.com/threads/ied-date.42690/

So, as long as your daughter's visa is valid, you should not have any issue.

P.s: Can you please update your timeline?

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.