Subclass 186 Whether to go with 186 or plan for 189?

Kii

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Hello,
Currently, I am on 485 (Temporary Resident) and my 485 will expire on 2021 Nov. I am working on a software company and my company is offering me to sponsor. I have the following queries:
  1. Should I plan for 189 (do PTE, NAATI, PY) or go with 186?
  2. If I go with 186:
    1. Will I be in a bridging visa after I lodge 186 application and will my 485 collapses?
    2. What will happen if the company breaks the contract after I lodge 186 application and before I get 186 PR?
    3. What occupation should I go for like: software tester, software engineer, software programmer, quality assurance?
  3. What will be the process/flow for 186? How long will it take?

I am really cofused, and I need expert advise.

Thank you,

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Should I plan for 189 (do PTE, NAATI, PY) or go with 186?
186 is not point tested, usually processed faster than 189. So, if your employer is ready to sponsor you, I would say 186 is more secure and certain compared to 189.

Will I be in a bridging visa after I lodge 186 application and will my 485 collapses?
You will have a BV, but that will come into effect only after your 489 expires (provided your 186 is still under processing at that time). Until then, you'll continue to be in 485.

What will happen if the company breaks the contract after I lodge 186 application and before I get 186 PR?
I haven't heard any such case. Once your company sponsors you, I don't think they can withdraw it without a valid reason.

What occupation should I go for like: software tester, software engineer, software programmer, quality assurance?
Whatever gives you an edge and makes you eligible for intended subclass.

What will be the process/flow for 186? How long will it take?
Varies with individual cases. A loose idea (about usual cases) can be gathered from the link below

Kii

Wanderer
Timeline missing
186 is not point tested, usually processed faster than 189. So, if your employer is ready to sponsor you, I would say 186 is more secure and certain compared to 189.

You will have a BV, but that will come into effect only after your 489 expires (provided your 186 is still under processing at that time). Until then, you'll continue to be in 485.

I haven't heard any such case. Once your company sponsors you, I don't think they can withdraw it without a valid reason.

Whatever gives you an edge and makes you eligible for intended subclass.

Varies with individual cases. A loose idea (about usual cases) can be gathered from the link below

Thank you for detailed answer. Much appreciated. cheers.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.