• MigrationDesk is a community, not an agent (nor is affiliated with any). You can post here without an account, but all unregistered posts will be queued for moderator approvals. You can register a free account to bypass moderation and enjoy additional features such as post notification, Live Chat etc.

Which visa to get?

Isabella

Timeline missing
Maybe it is not the right place to ask this question, but I did not know where else to post it.

One of my friends is planning to travel to Australia. As far as I know she needs to apply for Visitor visa (subclass 600) Tourism stream. Her main purpose of coming to Australia is to visit myself and travel around Australia. She works as a consultant for one of small local companies in her hometown. She usually works from home (on casual basis 20-25 hours weekly) and in rare cases (some meetings) she visits their office, as the nature of her job is telecommuting. She usually does research, investigates some topics on the internet. Neither her company, nor the job itself is related to Australia, as the company does not have any branch or clients in Australia. Her company pays salary to non-Australian bank account. Can she continue doing her online job while travelling in Australia? The dilemma is that on subclass 600 it says " you cannot work in Australia", but there is no other visa that her case meets the criteria of. Any suggestions?

P.S. she is not eligible for Work Holiday visa either.

Thanks in advance!

Isa

JanithaR

Collaborator
Entitled Member
MSA
2018-02-22
Skill
SC
189/190
Point
65/70
EOI
2018-04-21
If by work what she mostly does can be done inside a room with a laptop, I don't see how and why it would be considered any kind of a violation.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Can she continue doing her online job while travelling in Australia? The dilemma is that on subclass 600 it says " you cannot work in Australia", but there is no other visa that her case meets the criteria of. Any suggestions?
Should be alright. Her purpose of visit to Australia is not seeking/doing a job, I don't see any issue if she gives remote support to her existing job while travelling (everybody does that at times).

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.