Info English language competency level for Australian Immigration

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Your English language competency level is determined by the highest level you obtained from below cases.
  • If you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country, you automatically qualified of having competent English.
  • You already have functional English if you meet any of the below criteria
    • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English, OR
    • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
On top of the above, you can always improve your English language competency level by appearing any of the tests below. The criteria mentioned for each test are minimum score required. Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old.

For CAE, you must appear on or after 1 January 2015. You always achieve the highest skill criteria you met.

English Proficiency LevelIELTSTOEFL iBTPTECAEOET
Superior English8 in each sectionL-28, R-29, W-30, S-2679 in each section200 in each sectionA' in each section
Proficient English7 in each sectionL-24, R-24, W-27, S-2365 in each section185 in each sectionB' in each section
Competent English6 in each sectionL-12, R-13, W-21, S-1850 in each section169 in each section-
Vocational English5 in each sectionL-4, R-4, W-14, S-1436 in each section154 in each section-
Functional EnglishAverage band score of 4.5Total band score of 32Overall band score of 30 Overall band score of 147 -

IELTS: International English Language Testing System
TOEFL iBT: Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test
OET: Occupational English Test
PTE: Pearson Test of English
CAE: Cambridge English: Advanced

For TOEFL iBT,
L: Lsitening
R: Reading
W: Writing
S: Speaking

Your English language competency level is determined by the highest level you obtained from below cases.
  • If you hold a valid passport issued by the United Kingdom, the United States of America, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland and you are a citizen of that country, you automatically qualified of having competent English.
  • You already have functional English if you meet any of the below criteria
    • A positive assessment by an Adult Migrant English Program service provider in Australia that you have functional English, OR
    • Completed all years of primary education and at least three years of secondary education in an educational institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed at least five years of secondary education in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Successfully completed at least one year of full-time study or equivalent part-time study towards a degree, higher degree, diploma, or associate diploma in an institution in Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • Completed a degree, a higher degree, a diploma or a trade certificate that required at least two years of full-time study or training in an institution in or outside Australia and all instructions were in English, OR
    • The functional level of the Australian Assessment of Communicative English Skills (ACCESS) test certified by the relevant testing body. Your test must have been completed within 12 months of visa application lodgement or can be completed during visa application processing
On top of the above, you can always improve your English language competency level by appearing any of the tests below. The criteria mentioned for each test are minimum score required. Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old.

For CAE, you must appear on or after 1 January 2015. You always achieve the highest skill criteria you met.

English Proficiency LevelIELTSTOEFL iBTPTECAEOET
Superior English8 in each sectionL-28, R-29, W-30, S-2679 in each section200 in each sectionA' in each section
Proficient English7 in each sectionL-24, R-24, W-27, S-2365 in each section185 in each sectionB' in each section
Competent English6 in each sectionL-12, R-13, W-21, S-1850 in each section169 in each section-
Vocational English5 in each sectionL-4, R-4, W-14, S-1436 in each section154 in each section-
Functional EnglishAverage band score of 4.5Total band score of 32Overall band score of 30 Overall band score of 147 -

IELTS: International English Language Testing System
TOEFL iBT: Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based Test
OET: Occupational English Test
PTE: Pearson Test of English
CAE: Cambridge English: Advanced

For TOEFL iBT,
L: Lsitening
R: Reading
W: Writing
S: Speaking

Can you please guide me on which would be the easy scoring one?
I have 45(age + exp) points and need 20 more to make it 65.

Thank you,
Jebaz

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Some say PTE, some say all are same.

Prasad Borwankar

Wanderer
MSA
2017-06-08
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-08-10
Inv.
2018-01-02
App.
2018-01-11
CO
2018-07-02
PCC
2017-12-06
HC
2018-01-31
Can you please guide me on which would be the easy scoring one?
I have 45(age + exp) points and need 20 more to make it 65.

Thank you,
Jebaz
I appeared for PTE and I got 90. Dont know about IELTS but with PTE you can definitely score 20.

NGeN

Wanderer
Timeline missing
"Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old. "

Have you had anyone confirm this through their application?

For partner points, the requirement is to have functional english. So, is it enough to have a 24 month old superior english score, and not a recent <12 month old test?.

I have seen contradicting information from elsewhere!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
"Your English test can not be more than 12 months old from the visa lodgement date IF you scored a functional English equivalent, otherwise it can be upto 36 months old. "

Have you had anyone confirm this through their application?
This is clearly written on the DIBP official website
https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english
https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/faqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

For partner points, the requirement is to have functional english.
This is wrong. For partner points, the partner need competent English, NOT functional English.
https://www.border.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/skilled/partner-skills-documents.aspx

Functional English is ONLY enough for dependent applicants when NO points are claimed against that applicant.

NGeN

Wanderer
Timeline missing
This is clearly written on the DIBP official website
https://www.border.gov.au/Lega/Lega/Form/Immi-FAQs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-competent-english
https://www.border.gov.au/about/corporate/information/faqs/how-can-i-prove-i-have-functional-english

This is wrong. For partner points, the partner need competent English, NOT functional English.
https://www.border.gov.au/visas/supporting/Pages/skilled/partner-skills-documents.aspx

Functional English is ONLY enough for dependent applicants when NO points are claimed against that applicant.
Thanks for the reply!

Apologies!. That was a mistake. I meant the dependent applicants but used 'partner points' for some reason. :-( .

However, I am concerned about the last portion of your answer. I have not found any proof about the 'when no points are claimed' condition.

https://www.border.gov.au/visas/sup...etent-english-family-members-18-or-older.aspx
That particular section just mentions: "they must have Functional English" but nothing about the higher levels.

And as you mentioned, the partner points requirement states competent English as the requirement. Hence, I understand that, logically, it is inferable that having competent English is enough as such. But, I do not want to get into that mess if it is not so.
[ Main concern arose from the information that I read on another forum posted by a Registered MARA agent ]

Background:
I have proof for superior English ( report dated Jul '16 ) and my partner has proof for proficient English (report dated Feb '17 ). If this is an issue, then I would much rather wait for an invite in my name (as primary) rather than paying again for another English test.

Cheers!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
That particular section just mentions: "they must have Functional English" but nothing about the higher levels.
This means they must have at least Functional English. So, if they have higher, it is even better, no doubt on that.

Are you having doubt that if a dependent has competent (or higher) English, he/she might need to appear again to have a lower grade such that he/she have at best functional English? That's insane and you can safely throw out that doubt.

The above is fact. And if you ask me to logically explain why DIBP did not use the phrase "at least", this is because a competent English inherently possess functional English. True for all other, i.e. a higher competency inherently covers the lower competencies.

NGeN

Wanderer
Timeline missing
This means they must have at least Functional English. So, if they have higher, it is even better, no doubt on that.

Are you having doubt that if a dependent has competent (or higher) English, he/she might need to appear again to have a lower grade such that he/she have at best functional English? That's insane and you can safely throw out that doubt.

The above is fact. And if you ask me to logically explain why DIBP did not use the phrase "at least", this is because a competent English inherently possess functional English. True for all other, i.e. a higher competency inherently covers the lower competencies.

Thanks again for the prompt response!

I was having the doubt if a dependent has competent (or higher) English from a test dated more than 12 months before, then he/she might need to appear again to have a lower grade such that he/she have at best functional English so that the test report is within the 12 month window.

I guess I might be panicking for a stupid reason, almost paid for another 300$ test. haha. I do not want an 'incomplete application' lodging the visa. Hence the concern.

Cheers!

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
No, in my opinion, you are thinking incorrectly.

Below is my understanding what DIBP is telling people, and I think that's logical.

If someone has a competent English or higher, it can be assumed that his/her English proficiency does not deteriorate within 3 years (even if he/she does not practice it). That's why, once someone achieves competent or higher, he/she is considered to remain at that level for 3 years.

But if someone only possesses a functional English, he/she is already weak in English and it is possible that he/she might lose significant proficiency within 12 months (if he/she does not practice). That's why, DIBP does not believe in his/her English proficiency after 12 months and asks for a new proof.

So, if someone has a competent or higher English proficiency, he has that (and lower) proficient levels for 3 years.

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
Also, why did you "almost spend $300" for a new test for the dependent? If the dependent needs a new test, the CO will advise at the last stage and you can do that then. I think 1 month's delay is not a big deal, right?

However, it won't happen as your comptent+ English will cover it, just told for the sake of logic.

NGeN

Wanderer
Timeline missing
Also, why did you "almost spend $300" for a new test for the dependent? If the dependent needs a new test, the CO will advise at the last stage and you can do that then. I think 1 month's delay is not a big deal, right?

However, it won't happen as your comptent+ English will cover it, just told for the sake of logic.

That's a relief!

The 1-month delay is significant for me at this stage. :). Otherwise, it is a minor glitch or complication I understand.

I would prefer not to get any CO contact, especially not for an incomplete application. This came up in my research as a possible issue.

Thanks for all your help! Much appreciated!

Ness

Regular
MSA
2017-11-24
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-02-06
Inv.
2018-03-20
App.
2018-03-28
CO
2018-08-04
PCC
2018-03-26
HC
2018-04-01
Grant
2018-10-16
IED
2019-03-26
I appeared for PTE and I got 90. Dont know about IELTS but with PTE you can definitely score 20.
Hi

Just want to check ...

Did you receive your invitation yet? I can see you gave your EOI on Aug 10?

Just checking as I am about to submit my EOI for ICT Business Analyst under 189 with 70 points.

Reactions: Prasad Borwankar
MSA
2017-11-24
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-02-06
Inv.
2018-03-20
App.
2018-03-28
CO
2018-08-04
PCC
2018-03-26
HC
2018-04-01
Grant
2018-10-16
IED
2019-03-26

Prasad Borwankar

Wanderer
MSA
2017-06-08
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-08-10
Inv.
2018-01-02
App.
2018-01-11
CO
2018-07-02
PCC
2017-12-06
HC
2018-01-31
Hi

Just want to check ...

Did you receive your invitation yet? I can see you gave your EOI on Aug 10?

Just checking as I am about to submit my EOI for ICT Business Analyst under 189 with 70 points.
Hi,
I have not got an invite yet. In the 2 december rounds, I guess no invite was sent to business analysts. In 22nd nov round, last eoi date of effect was 9th aug. I was expecting it in 6th dec round, but didnt receive it even today. It is really frustrating..

MSA
2017-06-08
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2017-08-10
Inv.
2018-01-02
App.
2018-01-11
CO
2018-07-02
PCC
2017-12-06
HC
2018-01-31

Ness

Regular
MSA
2017-11-24
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-02-06
Inv.
2018-03-20
App.
2018-03-28
CO
2018-08-04
PCC
2018-03-26
HC
2018-04-01
Grant
2018-10-16
IED
2019-03-26
Hi,
I have not got an invite yet. In the 2 december rounds, I guess no invite was sent to business analysts. In 22nd nov round, last eoi date of effect was 9th aug. I was expecting it in 6th dec round, but didnt receive it even today. It is really frustrating..
Looks like a long wait ahead for me ...thanks ...please do update when you get your invite ... good luck

MSA
2017-11-24
Skill
SC
Point
EOI
2018-02-06
Inv.
2018-03-20
App.
2018-03-28
CO
2018-08-04
PCC
2018-03-26
HC
2018-04-01
Grant
2018-10-16
IED
2019-03-26

MysticRiver

Administrator
Staff member
If she has the plan to do higher study after immigration, she should go for academic. Otherwise, it doesn't matter, she should go whichever she feels more comfortable.

Consider before posting:
  • Do not post the same thing in multiple places.
  • No personal contact and/or non-English phrase is allowed.
  • Always post in a relevant thread or open a new one.
  • Better to use the reactions in a post to congratulate/thank.